Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher - 20% of the original English script cut

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Why would someone from teh team post at gamefaqs? It illogical.

MasPingon

Arcane
What about dialog with Talar in Temple district? The whole conversation with him was really great

-Did you hear about Salamander?
-Yeah, fuckin reptails(offensive word in polish), but I dunno what are they up to
-amphibians
-What the fuck?
- Salmanders are amphibians, not reptails

How does it look like in english version?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's a joke. ffs.

I think Geralt said what the hell or something like that.

Whirler

Novice
MasPingon said:
What about dialog with Talar in Temple district? The whole conversation with him was really great

-Yeah, fuckin reptails(offensive word in polish), but I dunno what are they up to
-amphibians
-What the fuck?

It is nearly the same. To tell you the truth, I've played both polish and english version, and differences are not so clearly visible. From what I've heard english version was cut in about 10% which means mostly some quotations from A Sapkowski.

So I wouldn't exaggerate with burning Atari at stake (at least not for this :P).

Lethal Weapon

Novice
Edward_R_Murrow said:
edit: How can you find & reach a user at GameFaq forums?

You don't per se. At least there are no search features for finding members. You need to find a thread they're in, post in it, and hope they respond.

His Board User Level is Ancient. For those of you who don't know what that means, this is the highest possible rating, he's been awarded with at least 2000 Karma and there are no posting restrictions for him. Only users of level 15 or higher may contact him (per gamefaqs regulations). I'm currently level 10 with an average of 4 posts/ month, but even if I could i doubt it would be any good.

POOPERSCOOPER said:
Why would someone from teh team post at gamefaqs? It illogical.

He says he quit (or something like that) 6 months ago. Read the thread, its all in there.

I was doing this like half a year ago but it was pretty random, really

So what hasn't been cut is still pretty good, that would explain the uneven quality.

inwoker said:
anything about russian and other versions?

Can't give any first-hand information, from what I've been reading the Russian version is very good , German and Spanish are virtually unplayable.

Nedrah

Erudite
German and Spanish are virtually unplayable.

Do you have any source for that?
I was hoping that they had possibly screwed us over to a somewhat lesser degree, what with being good neighbors and all :D

Lethal Weapon

Novice
Just check the official forum, there are lots of complaints there, although I'm not sure what to make of it, bad translation, bad voice acting or both? German version is multilingual anyway and there is a trick you can do to play with English VA and German subs. Here is a link to a thread from the official forum.

Added a question mark to the title in case anyone thinks that I have a bias.

Direwolf

Arcane
Russian dialogues been butchered pretty bad. It doesn't help that Russian VO are usually pretty terrible as well.
I started reading the books last week and they read much better than the stuff in the game, so I guess they can translate it well, just choose not to.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Well, in this case there is nowhere else to put the buck. The publisher (Atari) is responsible for localizations.

Lethal Weapon

Novice
Major Update! Another one from the localization team decides to break her silence, this time using her real name.

Sande Chen is a Grammy-nominated producer, writer, and consultant, a Co-Conspirator at Writers Cabal for her game writing/consulting work and a Lead Producer at Boonty, a casual game company. Her past game credits include 1999 Independent Games Festival winner TERMINUS. In 2003, she became the director of the non-profit, Girls in Games, Inc. She is the co-author of Serious Games: Games That Educate, Train, and Inform and was a contributor to Secrets of the Game Business . She holds degrees from MIT, the London School of Economics, and USC School of Cinema-Television. She is a member of the Women in Games International Steering Committee, the IGDA Writers SIG Steering Committee, and the New Media Caucus of the Writers Guild of America, west. In 2006, she was profiled on NextGen's list of the Game Industry's 100 Most Influential Women. She has been a speaker at the Game Developers Conference, Women's Game Conference, South by Southwest Interactive Festival, and the Serious Games Summit D.C.

This is what Sande has to say

Yes, it's true. My writing partner and I worked on the English adaptation of the script (based on the translation from the Polish script). It was edited down considerably, not because of censorship, though.

Her username in TW forum is sk8gundy.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Lethal Weapon said:
Sande Chen is a Grammy-nominated producer, writer, and consultant, a Co-Conspirator at Writers Cabal for her game writing/consulting work and a Lead Producer at Boonty, a casual game company. Her past game credits include 1999 Independent Games Festival winner TERMINUS. In 2003, she became the director of the non-profit, Girls in Games, Inc. She is the co-author of Serious Games: Games That Educate, Train, and Inform and was a contributor to Secrets of the Game Business . She holds degrees from MIT, the London School of Economics, and USC School of Cinema-Television. She is a member of the Women in Games International Steering Committee, the IGDA Writers SIG Steering Committee, and the New Media Caucus of the Writers Guild of America, west. In 2006, she was profiled on NextGen's list of the Game Industry's 100 Most Influential Women. She has been a speaker at the Game Developers Conference, Women's Game Conference, South by Southwest Interactive Festival, and the Serious Games Summit D.C.

Got pics?

Nutcracker

Scholar
I really expected a tubgirl in that link...

A pleasant surpise that it wasnt.

Lethal Weapon

Novice
Re: The Witcher - English dialogues castrated

Lyric Suite said:
More generally, I think the dialogues in this game are brilliant, one of the best I've ever heard (if not the best - the more I plat, the more I think that the last one is correct)

Lol @ polish national pride.

I dont' know, if I were Pollish, I would be doubly critical, The Witcher being my favourite franchise and all.

Whirler said:
MasPingon said:

-amphibians
-What the fuck?

It is nearly the same. To tell you the truth, I've played both polish and english version, and differences are not so clearly visible. From what I've heard english version was cut in about 10% which means mostly some quotations from A Sapkowski.

So I wouldn't exaggerate with burning Atari at stake (at least not for this :P).

I really want to believe you, but then i come across posts like this one

Yes, I've played both English and Polish version and there are a lot differences.
Much dialogue is cut out or simplified in Eng. version. I'd say in nearly every convo there's something missing. Also, often it's not acted out properly, so you lose many nuances in how NPCs respond to you. Like innkeeper, hunter, barmaid etc. in Polish version many NPCs have specific emotions towards protagonist (either good or bad, or frightened, or confused, etc.) and also language has this 'medieval' feel to it. In Eng. version most of this is flattened out and most NPCs sound generic. Witcher's voice is cool in Eng. version, but he sounds the same all the time, while in Polish version he has more variety, according to situation.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I think the Codex might have to direct their wrath to the follies of cinematic voiceovers in games for once from the usual graphics. CD Projekt would do better to entrust a different publisher the next time around for localization. Personally I'd rather have full complete translation over any partial voicework.

roshan

Arcane

Whirler said:
MasPingon said:

-amphibians
-What the fuck?

I bet this guy is one of those guerilla marketer fucks.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
So here's what I'm confused about, how does this effect the codex's views on The Witcher as a whole? Do we have the right to say "the dialog is kind of average" knowing that there is a version out there with potentially exceptional dialog? How are we supposed to compare The Witcher to our other favorite RPGs (because we just love to rank RPGs next to each other) if we aren't sure to be lenient or not on the sometimes nonsensical dialog? Fuck you Atari, for throwing us a giant monkey wrench.

Whirler

Novice

roshan said:
Whirler said:

I bet this guy is one of those guerilla marketer fucks.

Piss off. Have you been playing the game at all? No? Then stop complaining.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
I don't think anyone is stupid enough to try guerrilla marketing here, but I do see what Roashan is talking about. Other people have played both versions, noted major differences, and have given examples to back up their claims.

Morbus

Scholar
Great. I'm definitely not buying this game now... Not until a PATCH is released, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom