Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here!
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher - 20% of the original English script cut

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Lethal Weapon, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Lethal Weapon Novice

Lethal Weapon
    Click here and disable ads!
    I've been reading about this for a while now, Polish gamers giving examples of their own and gamers from other countries describing the dialogues as 'getting the job done' but nothing special and occasionally bad and non-sensical. I probably wouldn't start a thread about this were it not for the fact that one of the guys in the localization team decided to post about this at gamefaqs under the user name Martin Pagan. This is what he has to say

It seems like CDP put much effort into providing us with a good translation. If the initial uncut translation still exists how hard would it be to mod it into the game? Is there enough interest out there to justify such an effort?

Let me guess, Atari?

Not that dialogues are important in RPGs or anything. We just need the summary, right?

No problema! We've all played Oblivion, so we know how to use our imagination to fill in the gaps! Hah!
    Here is the evaluation of one of the guys playing the Polish version

It would be interesting if some of the Polish readers here posted their own translation of some of the dialogues for comparison purposes.
    It seems that nearly every vulgarism has been translated to 'bastard' too.Click here to read the whole thread.

Update: Editing down the original English adaptation has been confirmed by Sande Chen, another member of the localization team.

Update 2: Lead designer Michal Madej has confirmed shortening of the original script by 20% to meet agreements with Atari. He posts at Gamebanshee under the username Severian.

Update 3: Martin Pagan's post and Sande Chen's post I was referring to have since been deleted. I know it is normal for gamefaqs to delete old threads such as the one that Martin Pagan posted in but I have no way of knowing what happened to Sande Chen's post.
    ^ Top  
  2. roshan Augur

roshan
    That sounds really fucked up. Hopefully the original translation by CD Project will be released. I would rather have better writing than voice overs.
    ^ Top  
  3. Lethal Weapon Novice

Lethal Weapon
    I'd rather have better writing and no voice overs at all. So far this has been the single reason I haven't started playing the game.
    ^ Top  
  4. kingcomrade Arcane

kingcomrade
    fuck the Corporations!
    ^ Top  
  5. Nedrah Arbiter

Nedrah
    So, does anyone know wether that applys to the german translation of the game, too?
    Hopefully this is indeed modable, I hate knowing I'm not getting the full experience - same thing with Space Rangers 2, actually.
    ^ Top  
  6. RK47 Incline Breaker Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    there's just some ridiculous dialogue translation that involves Geralt just muttering 'I believe you.' 'I don't believe you' to some npc statements.
    ^ Top  
  7. Zomg Arbiter

Zomg
    Are there subtitles? I'd imagine you could do a mod that uses the Polish VA with English subs from the original scripting.
    ^ Top  
  8. spacemoose Erudite

spacemoose
    well, I can sorta decipher polish what with replacing the z's with soft signs and then reading phonetically. I'll try to get a polish version probably
    ^ Top  
  9. The_Pope Scholar

The_Pope
    I'd like Polish voice overs and well translated English subtitles. Anyone know if thats possible?
    ^ Top  
  10. hpmons Novice

hpmons
    With enough people dissatisfied at how it is currently, Im sure someone will come out with subtitles eventually, whether official or unofficial.
    ^ Top  
  11. caliban Scholar

caliban
    Probably. We'll have to wait for the toolset to be released to be sure, though. Then it shouldn't be all that hard to make an "unofficial" translation (or maybe use the full English script, if we can somehow get our hands on it), and substitute subtitles in the Polish version.

But as for now, I'll be enjoying my Polish version and laughing at Atari's stupidity. Hah!
    ^ Top  
  12. VonVentrue Savant Patron

VonVentrue
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    That's simply unbelievable; yet another proof that publishers treat their customers like idiots.
    An 'improved English subtitles' mod is a must in this regard.
    ^ Top  
  13. denizsi Magister

denizsi
    We should contact that guy at Gamefaqs. Maybe they can be persuaded to release the official subtitles unofficially! Contacting Atari would be useless for sure, looking at their past practices. I too would prefer the Polish version with English subtitles (and English menus, perhaps).
    ^ Top  
  14. JarlFrank Великий князь Patron

JarlFrank
    I don't care if the voiceacting will be fucked up when I mod the full dialogues in, but I want the full dialogues. I was already saving some money to buy TW, having heard so many good things about it, especially about athmosphere and dialogues, and now the English version has been crippled? WTF, Atari?

Is there any chance CD Project could release the original translation files as a downloadable mod?
    ^ Top  
  15. denizsi Magister

denizsi
    If Atari is indeed the publisher only and doesn't have a say on how things are to be handled, then that shouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, if that is the case, CD Project should sue the shit out of Atari for tempering with translation. If Atari does have a say on certain things, I'd wager no luck then.

edit: How can you find & reach a user at GameFaq forums? I just registered but I can't seem to find anything related.
    ^ Top  
  16. Jeff Graw Scholar

Jeff Graw
    I'm literally angry with rage!
    ^ Top  
  17. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Someone at Atari needs their eyes stabbed out with sharpened coprolite.

Good thing I'll be buying PL version anyway.
    ^ Top  
  18. Antagonist Liturgist

Antagonist
    Ah well, I was planning to order the english version of The Witcher next week. Instead I'll vote with my money and refrain from buying the game as until either a text update is released or this allegations are proven as baseless. I'm also curious if the german version has been dealt with in an equal manner although I'd be less than thrilled to buy a teutonic translation after some unsatisfying experiences with the quality of said translations in the past.
    ^ Top  
  19. dagorkan Arbiter

dagorkan
    I thought the Poles were saying their project was completely independent of Atari and Atari was "just doing the distribution"? That's what people have been saying here for months. That CDP had all the money they needed and weren't going to cut corners

If it's true though, apart from the dishonesty and if it gets fixed it makes me more likely to get the game at some point. The bad dialog including the annoying over use of "you bastard!" is one of the things that put me off.
    ^ Top  
  20. inwoker Magister

inwoker
    anything about russian and other versions?
    ^ Top  
  21. bylam Scholar

bylam
    Localization is generally handled by the publisher, as they decide the regions where they wish to distribute.
    I imagine that the Polish version of the game is CD Projekt's original vision, with them working closely with the Polish Voice Actors.
    And Atari would have handled the other languages and VO actors.

As for the game itself...I don't know. The dialogue is fine with the occasional retarded line. Certainly not bad enough that people should miss the game. Hell, I just had a great conversation with a dwarf about "good vs evil" and the fact that "moral absolutes" are the root of society's problems. Such a great game.
    ^ Top  
  22. Lyric Suite Arcane

Lyric Suite
    Re: The Witcher - English dialogues castrated

Lol @ polish national pride.
    ^ Top  
  23. Pegultagol Augur Patron

Pegultagol
    Project: Eternity
    Well, I guess it's time to learn some Polish.

Probably Aurora was not changed aside from graphics side of things. If the OC in NWN could be changed in the dialogs, then it could be possible to mod this Aurora powered game as well.
    ^ Top  
  24. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    Argh I hate this. And the english version is just waitng for me at the post office. (Ok, I'd probably ordered it anyway...).

This translation business practice just pisses me off. I'm still waiting for non-babelfish translation of Pathologic - otherwise an awesome adventure game, but playing the demo and reading dialog gave me brain hemorrhage.
    ^ Top  
  25. Edward_R_Murrow Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    You don't per se. At least there are no search features for finding members. You need to find a thread they're in, post in it, and hope they respond.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)