Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
As a whole, Act II is by far the best part of TW2, mostly because it's a bit more open than the other chapters but also because I feel it has the strongest cast of characters overall. It does have its issues, like the huge infodump at the beginning and some parts that are rather poorly explained or executed, but all in all I certainly prefer it to Flotsam. Gameplay-wise there's of course not a huge difference, the game is what it is.

Also, the best parts on Roche's path are only near the end of the game.

Old One

Arcane
I recently finished a re-play of TW1, and I find I'm unable to enjoy TW2 in the slightest. I really, really want to enjoy it, but it just won't let me. I'm having terrible trouble even getting started with it. Last time I made it to the end of Chapter 1 before quitting. This time I'm afraid I'm not even going to get that far.

How can anyone think this combat is good? Quen, roll, roll, roll, chop, roll, roll, quen, roll, roll... Add in laggy controls, command buffering that waits until the current stupid animation completes before executing, way too many stunning conditions with long animations... It just might be the worst combat I've ever had the displeasure to experience. Combat it TW1 is far from perfect, but at least it's not torturous, and if you play on Hard or better so there aren't any combo prompts, it's a little strategic with oils and other pre-battle preparations.

The UI, too, is rubbish compared to TW1.

The most frustrating thing of all is that there are a lot of good things about TW2. I just don't think I can accept being punched in the face so much by the bad things in order to get to the good things.

Maybe I'll try Rise of the Sword. It's worth a shot, at least, since the alternative is just walking away for good.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Youre being too dramatic. Spend some time getting grips with the combat, approach the game with a positive mindsend, and play. The combat is fine, its no Risen, but then again nothing is.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Youre being too dramatic. Spend some time getting grips with the combat, approach the game with a positive mindsend, and play. The combat is fine, its no Risen, but then again nothing is.

Yeah it takes a bit to get used to the new combat style after spending weeks in W1. Think I finally got through the game on my 3rd or 4th try.

Also was the Squirrel Chapter 3 better than the Roach chapter 3?

Old One

Arcane
I don't think getting used to the combat is the problem. I made it through five rounds in the arena on Dark, and I managed to wipe out the nekkers in round three in abut 20 seconds without taking a hit. I used a bomb for that.

It's not hard; it's hard to enjoy.

That's only one small part of the problem though. The bigger problem is that TW2 isn't actually a game at all. It's an interactive movie with a couple of different paths for you to choose as you ride along. The authors tossed in some trivial busywork for the user here and there to make it seem like you might be playing a game. I mean, I watched the interactive movie for over an hour last night, and what was I asked to do? Click on a few dialogue lines - pick some herbs and rifle through some boxes for items - aim a ballista - kill a few token guards - kill a few more token guards so I could aim another ballista. None of this really has any impact on how the movie progresses. It's headed in one direction, and there's no getting off the train. It isn't really even a test of your skill as a player or a test of the skill of your character.

This affects the combat system because, aside from the fact that I don't enjoy it, it's utterly pointless. Even if I thought it was great it would still be pointless. Exploring and building your character is just busywork to trick you into thinking you're playing a game while you tick off plot markers which are mostly QTEs and cutscenes. The Kayran is a perfect example. In an actual game you might try fighting the Kayran, lose, and say, "Wow, the Kayran is tough. I'd better adventure some more until my character is strong enough to beat it." In TW2, the Kayran is a QTE, so whether you adventure or not and whether or not you build up your character is irrelevant. All you're doing is ticking off a plot marker to advance the story of the movie.

It frustrates me because, as I said, there are unquestionably some things to like about TW2.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I just finished replaying TW2. Enjoyed it doubly now that I've read the books. With all the C&C, it was interesting to roleplay as close as possible to the authentic 'book Geralt'. Definitely motivates me for a second playthrough of TW3.

The mass amounts of dialogue didn't bother me, since I'm a storyfag when it comes to the Witcher. I'm playing the German version to improve my language skills, too.

This affects the combat system because, aside from the fact that I don't enjoy it, it's utterly pointless. Even if I thought it was great it would still be pointless. Exploring and building your character is just busywork to trick you into thinking you're playing a game while you tick off plot markers which are mostly QTEs and cutscenes. The Kayran is a perfect example. In an actual game you might try fighting the Kayran, lose, and say, "Wow, the Kayran is tough. I'd better adventure some more until my character is strong enough to beat it." In TW2, the Kayran is a QTE, so whether you adventure or not and whether or not you build up your character is irrelevant.

FYI, you can disable the QTEs in the options menu. At least in the Enhanced Edition.

Old One

Arcane
FYI, you can disable the QTEs in the options menu. At least in the Enhanced Edition.
Yep, I did that this time.

I'm still going to buy TW3 eventually. I do enjoy CDPR's atmosphere and visuals and that sort of thing, and I like what I've read about TW3 and how it compares to the previous game and movie. As others have said before, you can really see their dedication to the material in the finished products.

Old One

Arcane
I finished this game a while back and it's the worst game in the series...If you don't like the story and writing, there's nothing more for you in the game.
I just finished TW2EE a couple of days ago, and I agree completely with everything you said in your post.

By Act III I was just tired of it all. I couldn't even be bothered to explore the last location so I ticked the plot markers as fast as possible so I would be done. After two years of owning TW2 I finally made it out of Flotsam only to discover I was already past the best part.

I'd actually put this somewhere on my "Worst Ever" list, but not because there's nothing good about it. It's possibly the most aggravating "game" I've ever "played" because the setting and the characters are so good, but you're not allowed to interact with them in any kind of enjoyable way. The whole thing ends up feeling like nothing but a scripted prelude to the next chapter.

I hope the good things I've heard about TW3 are true. There's certainly a lot of potential there if CDPR learned the right lessons from the mistakes they made with TW2.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If you don't like the story and writing, there's nothing more for you in the game.
Pretty much. However, I'd say that the story and characters are still way better and more complex than in almost any modern (non-Witcher) game that comes to mind. So it's still something to consider. I'm replaying TW2EE right now and... well, the combat is still the same unresponsive clunky mess but when you know what to expect it doesn't bother you so much. TW2 probably the only game I'd recommend playing on Easy - just because increasing difficulty doesn't pay off in any way.

Could be a really great game. If only CDPR put a little effort into playtesting their systems... if only...

Old One

Arcane
Well, it also needs better areas. Flotsam is okay, but the other two are pretty uninspired. Exploration can be fun in TW2, but there isn't nearly enough of it. I'd like to see larger underground and indoor areas with secret doors and that sort of thing. It's needed to balance out the strict control over the story.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I also tried to replay it some months ago and i kinda have to agree with you guys, the game is shit. Its a nice story trapped in a shit game though (kinda like the GOT rpg), but that doesnt redeem it, atleast not in a second playthrough.

Oddly, back then when it was released and i eagerly played it because witcher 1 was such a blast for me(i even upgraded my pc for it), i kinda managed to delude myself into thinking it was a good game. I read the books simultaniously which i guess did a big part of it, because atleast they managed to pull off the setting quite well.

Now treat yourself with some Witcher 3, you earned it and its really a fucking great game. Much better than Witcher 2 and imho also better than Witcher 1.

norolim

Arcane
The story, world quality and presentation make it a very good game, despite only average or in some cases plain bad gameplay features. It's a different story, when you look at it as an RPG. Very good plot, characters and C&C mean it's not horrible but depending on where you are on the systems/combat/story fag scale it will be somewhere between below average and fairly good.

EDIT: if you don't like the setting and the story, I agree: there is nothing in this game for you.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'll be honest, I never really understood what's with people who have read the books (mostly potatoes) claiming that the Witcher games are worth playing for the story/characters and stuff?

Granted, I'm not really the biggest Sapkowski fan (though those books were among my favorites when I was a teenager), but to me what the games did with the lore was pretty horrible (for the record, I didn't play them much and in case of W3 not at all so mostly referring to my W1-2 initial impressions). When I think of it, it's in fact pretty similar to what Fallout 3 did with F1-2 lore-wise. All the names and factions appearing in sometimes completely nonsensical manner and context just to give the impressions that authors know the story well and to high-five the fans. And the idea of Geralt being the protagonist, with basically the lamest and laziest plot device (wait, I almost have it... he's gonna have amnesia! boy, am I a genius or what!) used as an excuse.

So, what is it? Is it simply the fact that you can play as Geralt and have sexy time with sorceresses? Or is there something I missed?

norolim

Arcane
I don't understand that criticism. What do you mean by

[...]to me what the games did with the lore was pretty horrible [...] When I think of it, it's in fact pretty similar to what Fallout 3 did with F1-2 lore-wise. All the names and factions appearing in sometimes completely nonsensical manner and context just to give the impressions that authors know the story well and to high-five the fans.
?

Give examples (no TW3 spoilers, please though - I haven't finished it yet). The stories in the 1st two games are pretty good, the world and the mood I remember from Sapkowski's books are very well reconstructed and most of the references are accurate (apart from gamey shit like the crossbow). The amnesia motif
is old, I admit, but it's just a plot device. If the story built on it is good, I don't really care. Nowadays, everything is a cliché.

Ninjerk

Arcane
That guy loves poppin moles, but I guess if you want viewers you have to cover what people are playing.

Endemic

Arcane
That guy loves poppin moles, but I guess if you want viewers you have to cover what people are playing.

I posted it because I liked his take on the characters. Which is what we were just discussing, right?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Looks like fairly general discussion prior to that (e.g. storytelling devices like amnesia, motifs).

rado907

Savant
:D So now having beaten TW1 I installed this one... Tried it back when it came out, but got annoyed at the fight with the insect queen and uninstalled.

And man, I had forgotten how great the beginning of this game is! The Pollacks put a real effort in trying to correct all the mistakes they made in developing TW1. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous, combat now feels interesting, the Prologue is actually fun, the initial exposition is much better, the dialogues have improved significantly, and Triss no longer looks a cheap whore (though she still is one). Following the gratuitous 2hr intro, you start the game in the middle of medium-sized hub, just how it should be.

I'm excited. God bless Poland!

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The Pollacks put a real effort in trying to correct all the mistakes they made in developing TW1. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous, combat now feels interesting, the Prologue is actually fun, the initial exposition is much better, the dialogues have improved significantly, and Triss no longer looks a cheap whore (though she still is one).
:nocountryforshitposters:

rado907

Savant
Whole W2 is like intro to W3 :lol:
Yeah, the ending was a bit of a cliffhanger. But it still provided necessary closure.

The game was great. Reminds me more of Mass Effect 2, Dishonored, and even the new Tomb Raider rather than of Baldur's Gate or The Elder Scrolls Games or the old Fallout 2. And that's fine. As an action/adventure/RPG game, TW2 is fantastic. Wish it had a few more sidequests and better itemization, though. Other than that, I enjoyed the game much more than I did the first one. (Though the first game was solid.)

Now for the third one. From what I've heard, it's good.

Starwars

Arcane
Decided to replay the second Act II (and some of Act I) since I couldn't really remember how the Roche path plays out.

And holy shit, Roche and Ves are like the saddest pair ever. Completely ineffective. Ves is presented as a tough soldier girl but whose only job in the actual game is to be rapebait. First for Letho and then Henselt. But hey, she takes care of a baby and then cries in Geralt's arms so... good job Ves! Of course Roche is the one who puts her in the situation with Letho because... uhm, because... well... why did you do that Roche? Geralt wrecks Letho's army anyway. So what was the point of Ves risking herself like that? Maybe I missed something. The "Letho groping Ves" scene felt rather David Cage-ish in my mind.

When I first played the game I remember thinking Roche was a kinda cool character but he's just a gigantic fuck-up, lol. Everything he does turns to shit.

That said, I think that path is a bit more fun to play through in Act II for some reason. Vergen is a lot nice aesthetically but something about it feels like a slog to me. The Soldier's Camp is boring as a location but perhaps it's due to the presence of Henselt and Dethmold (who is so "toady evil" that it becomes amusing) that it just feels a bit more fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom