Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition

Declinator

Arbiter

Jedi Knight 2 Lightsaber multiplayer was awesome. Jedi Knight 3 was pretty good too (arguably better but the game didn't 'feel' as good). 3 lightsaber styles and different combos of swings and stuff per combo of movement keys, plus special moves. They were probably the last good melee FPS games made (Rune before that). I remember a 5v5 CTF clan war we had of that at a LAN in 2002, awesome fun.

Though it's probably been a decade since I played it, I'm pretty sure that the lightsaber bits in Jedi Knight 2 were not first person. Was it possible to play them like that?

TBH I've never played JK or JK2 singleplayer. Just MP.

Point with the three games I gave an example of was really fluid action combat designed for PC.

Dark Souls might be an awesome game but it's still a rather clunky game designed for 30 FPS. AFAIK the PC port controls are fucked as well. I did hear there was a fix or something though, I refuse to use a controller.

The console has ruined the action game. I am doubtful I'll ever see another fluid PC action game ... instead we'll just get horrible attempts at it like The Witcher 2 (combat being the worst part of the game IMO).

I never played MP JK2 so I can't really comment on that but I have difficulties believing that it's significantly better than the SP dueling which in my opinion was simplistic and clumsy compared to the miles-better Dark Souls combat which I believe is still too simple.

Indeed I can't say that I've played a PC melee action game that I enjoyed as much as Dark/Demon's Souls though Gothic 2 was semi-enjoyable combat-wise. To me the controller is okay for melee action even if it is horrible for most things.

I believe that consoles may have actually inclined the melee action genre though obviously it's difficult to speculate whether those games or something like them would have been made in improved form on PC if not for the existance of consoles.

Max Payne is a shooter so it's a bit strange to group it with those two and although JK2 obviously also had shooting I remember it being more focused on the lightsaber parts than the shooting. Enter the Matrix also had a lot of shooting if I remember correctly but did feature at least some melee. I would be more inclined to compare Enter and Payne to shooters than to games like Dark Souls or Witcher 2.

Enter the Matrix, Max Payne and JK2 all had some sort of slow-motion mechanics by the way (the force speed in JK2.) Coincidence? Are you sure that's not what creates the impression of "fluidity"?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
They're all 3rd person (JK2 lightsabers) and no I am not counting the slow motion. Force Speed wasn't slow motion, it just sped things up.

JK2 MP was pretty good. JK3 was better, but the game wasn't quite as smooth. Double-bladed lightsaber in MP in JK3 was absolute lols could do some crazy spin move combos and shit

edit: I agree they're all too simple though, as far as mechanics go.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I get the feeling you've never tried any console or even console port action adventure/rpg game and yet keep saying they are worse than the pc counterparts. Btw the fix for Dark Souls allows you to use k+m and works perfectly fine, there's also a FPS unlocker mod thingy, if your pc can handle it you can set the FPS at 60.

As a side note, due the success of Dark Souls pc version, Dark Souls 2 is being designed FOR the PC and being ported to console.

I finished TW2 back when it came out, and decided to give this FCR a look, on Dark difficulty.

It still seems rolling around like a derp is too effective - at one point it stops being a roll and Geralt twirls around (maybe related to lower health? I dunno), and the auto-block/parry looks kinda retarded (is it a random chance?). I didn't notice any of the so-called responsiveness increases. Is Geralt supposed to be faster now? One thing I noticed was that when I attacked a blocking enemy, there was no blockstun - looks kinda lame, were people having problems with that? I mean, if you do a heavy attack at a blocking enemy you should reel back from the impact, right? Don't understand the reasoning behind this.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
HOLY SHIT BROS I SAW THE WITCHER 2 ON SPECIAL IT EVEN SAID "NEW & IMPROVED VERSION 2.0" ON THE BOX AND IT HAD TWO FUCKING DVDS TO INSTALL. TWO!! BUT IT LOOKS LIKE I'LL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL I GET THE NATIONAL BROADBAND NETWORK BEFORE I CAN PLAY IT.

witcher_2_patch.png

Fuck me, they may as well just sell certificates now that allow you to download it instead of wasting all that time installing shit that apparently was a complete waste of time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
HOLY SHIT BROS I SAW THE WITCHER 2 ON SPECIAL IT EVEN SAID "NEW & IMPROVED VERSION 2.0" ON THE BOX AND IT HAD TWO FUCKING DVDS TO INSTALL. TWO!! BUT IT LOOKS LIKE I'LL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL I GET THE NATIONAL BROADBAND NETWORK BEFORE I CAN PLAY IT.

Fuck me, they may as well just sell certificates now that allow you to download it instead of wasting all that time installing shit that apparently was a complete waste of time.
Your mistake was buying 2.0, which was released in September 2011, instead of the Enhanced Edition, which was released in April 2012. I only needed to download 65 mb worth of patches.

Releasing a beta version followed by the complete product a year later is pretty much CDP's thing. This time they decided to milk it with another beta.

Endemic

Arcane
Releasing a beta version followed by the complete product a year later is pretty much CDP's thing. This time they decided to milk it with another beta.

That would make sense if CDP actually charged existing owners for the EE. I paid $3.49 for W2 on GOG (was the holiday sale IIRC).

Actual milking is the Planetary Annihilation team asking $90 for an alpha if you didn't fund on the Kickstarter.

Turjan

Arcane
I found it especially grating that the game insisted on downloading about a GB each of French, German, Polish and Russian voice data in addition to English. Perhaps I missed a setting somewhere, but during the update to Enhanced Edition, there wasn't any way to circumvent that. I think the movies suffer from even more multilingual shenanigans.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

That would make sense if CDP actually charged existing owners for the EE. I paid $3.49 for W2 on GOG (was the holiday sale IIRC).

Actual milking is the Planetary Annihilation team asking $90 for an alpha if you didn't fund on the Kickstarter.
You get charged if you want to buy a physical copy instead of downloading 10 gigs. :P

It's nice that they do that, but the 2.0 box seems unnecessary considering they knew they were going to roll out an EE months later.

Black_Willow

Arcane

You get charged if you want to buy a physical copy instead of downloading 10 gigs. :P

It's nice that they do that, but the 2.0 box seems unnecessary considering they knew they were going to roll out an EE months later.
But morons like you still bought it, so it's ok.:smug:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I only bought the EE, worked out pretty well for me. Thanks for beta-testing. :cool:

Gerrard

Arcane

View attachment 1912

>2013
>installing games from physical media
I can download it faster than it installs from a DVD.
Not to mention that since I got a new mainboard I no longer have an optical drive.

By the way, you can register it at GOG to get a digital copy for free.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
>2013
>installing games from physical media
I can download it faster than it installs from a DVD.
FUCK YOU BRO THIS IS AUSTRALIA WE DONT HAVE THAT FIBRE OPTIC SHIT YOU BACKWARDS EUROPEANS HAVE WE SPENT ALL OUR MONEY ON A WORKING DEMOCRACY INSTEAD

FUCK

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I download at about 7 MB a second. 50mbit/s from my service. While a disc might be faster, it's not like I notice.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah, I'm exaggerating,, but it took like half an hour to install from the DVDs, it's ridiculous.
And now you'd also have the patching added.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom