Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 2

Looks like The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition has been released while I wasn't looking.
The day has come. The Enhanced Edition patch is now available for download. Get ready to jump in into the most polished and plentiful version of The Witcher 2!

The Enhanced Edition of The Witcher 2 gives you 4 more hours of quests, new cut-scenes and cinematics and over 100 improvements, when compared with the initial version of the game.The game is available now for Xbox 360 and PC, but all of you who already have the game can download a free update and enjoy all of RPG greatness right now.
I've heard it runs like crap compared to the normal un-enhanced edition, but the point is: it's free!?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I've heard it runs like crap compared to the normal un-enhanced edition, but the point is: it's free!?

Please, don't change. :no-homo: :love:

Edit: Seriously though, there are indeed some issues with the PATCH. The slowdowns you mentioned stem from something they did with Depth-of-Field. Disable that and it will return to working smoothly... but that's just a workaround.

More worrying are the issue with XBOX360 version of the game, which seems to be littered with gamebreaking bugs. Also no save compatibilty for PC causes equally gamebreaking glitches to appear in PC version.

And for a Enhanced Edition patch, it solves remerkably few issues that were present in the original game... it adds new ones instead.

Deleted member 7219

Playing through the EE version now.

First thing I noticed was they shoehorned in a bit of Dandelion narration at the end of the prologue when you leave La Valette Castle on BROche's ship. The whole thing felt out of place and awkward to me. See, The Witcher 2 uses two different kinds of cutscene. One is completely in-game, so nothing looks out of place - it uses your graphics settings and your customised Geralt. The other is the stylised motion comic, which I'm just starting to appreciate. But this one... it was that kind of pre-rendered in-engine thing that console-to-PC ports are notorious for (see Resident Evil 4). It is exposition heavy and completely unnecessary. You know from dialogue and from quest entires that you basically just moved down river from La Valette castle. Dandelion doesn't annoy me that much but he's still a bit of a douche and his attempt at humour just fell flat. So that's one change I didn't appreciate.

Apparently there are Fallout-style ending cards and a new cutscene, so I have that to look forward to. Also, the lighting is much better.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The cutscene issues might be fixed by switching to a 16:9 resolution, from what I've read. Worked for me on one of them

Yeah, CD Projekt are a true bastion of PC gaming.

Achilles

Arcane
I'm sure the issues will be fixed in time for the Witcher 2: Mega Enhanced Edition, out this Christmas on Wii U.

Gerrard

Arcane
It's going to be really funny when DS comes out and turns out to be a worse port than TW2 was.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
who uses DoF anyway? first of all it's shit as it blurs everything further than 10meters away, also it's a shitty post process that has no place in games FFS: http://foobarrant.fo.funpic.de/index.php/Main/WhyDepthOfFieldIsWrong

That's why the only DOF in a game that I've seen done well was in Call of Juarez from 2006. It was only when you zoomed in and shifted depending on where you looked(background became blurry if you focused on the blade of grass in front of you and vice versa). It really accentuated the effect of particular focus. Generally though, DOF is bullshit like you say, being used totally wrongly to just blur everything unrealistically just so consoles don't have a hard time.

Black

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom