Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 with gamepad?

Severian Silk

When I first tried the Witcher I quit early because I hated the mouse + keyboard control scheme. However, recently I bought an Xbox 360 controller. Can this game be played using a controller?

Severian Silk

I did that with Gothic and will try with the Witcher. Thanks.

Coriolanus

Learned
The Witchers (all of them) play a lot worse with a gamepad than they do with keyboard + mouse.

Gothic was actually designed with gamepad controls in mind.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The way the inventory and stat-screen modes work in TW would make it much harder to play than Gothic with a controller.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
There's also the mouse-driven control scheme in the game, you should probably try that instead. Like Lilura said, the UI is probably a huge pain in the ass without a mouse.

Severian Silk

Pinnacle Game Profiler + this profile
I tried that. Maybe I am simply too inexperienced with the Xbox 360 controller, but the profile is confusing as hell and not any less frustrating than the mouse interface (especially the analog sticks).

Severian Silk

Sigh. The mouse interface sucks just as much as the last time I tried to play The Witcher. Clicks don't always register during combat, meaning sometimes Geralt just stands there doing nothing. You have to move the mouse to the side of the (wide)screen to turn the camera, and the camera turns when you accidentally touch the sides of the screen. The camera bounces around a lot as it tries to avoid walls and scenery, meaning you can't always get a good fix on what's happening around you.

:argh:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
All Codexing aside.. The fact that he prefers a controller over a mouse/KB speaks magnitudes about what kind combat the witcher 1 had.. It was fucking horrible..

I can't think of a single time (dark Souls included) where I would rather use a controller.. but Witcher 1..? I can actually see some merit to that.. I hate Witcher combat.

Cadmus

Arcane
Sigh. The mouse interface sucks just as much as the last time I tried to play The Witcher. Clicks don't always register during combat, meaning sometimes Geralt just stands there doing nothing. You have to move the mouse to the side of the (wide)screen to turn the camera, and the camera turns when you accidentally touch the sides of the screen. The camera bounces around a lot as it tries to avoid walls and scenery, meaning you can't always get a good fix on what's happening around you.

:argh:
it looks like you've got a brain damage, you should call your doctor immediately

A600

Educated
It's a personal preference but thanks to Pinnacle Game Profiler I could enjoy Divinity: DKS on PC. I love that game but I prefer to tear my nails before playing it with Mouse + KB.

Severian Silk

Whatevs guys. Witcher controls are awful.

[edit]

I forgot to add that the Witcher can't even strafe in a straight line. He has to do it in (big) circles.

If the game allowed you to give more commands while paused maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Severian Silk

Clicking and dragging on the ground would be a better way to rotate the camera. I can't remember the last 3D isometric RPG I played (Age of Decadence demo?), but Homeworld 2 allowed you to do this. Touching the edge of the screen should be reserved for panning the camera, not rotating it.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
All Codexing aside.. The fact that he prefers a controller over a mouse/KB speaks magnitudes about what kind combat the witcher 1 had.. It was fucking horrible..
No, it only speaks magnitudes about the person. TW1's combat was clearly designed with mouse and keyboard in mind, and the (canceled) console version was supposed to have a completely different control scheme because of that. I have no idea what kind of an advantage a controller could possibly bring.

I don't really get the complaints about TW1's combat system. As far as single-character ARPG's go, I'd say it's pretty decent, definitely better than most. The only somewhat unorthodox thing about it is the rhythm-based clicking, which becomes a non-issue before the tutorial is over as long as you have a functioning pair of eyes and something resembling a brain. Just don't press the goddamn attack button in the middle of an attack and you'll be fine. Other than that, it finds a pretty good balance between character and player skill with the signs, combat styles, dodging, bombs and so on, and the very good alchemy system brings a nice strategic element to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom