Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Gerrard

Arcane
Was meaning to ask this for ages - polish people, how do you feel about the translation of the game?

From what I remember, dialogues were without any sense of character or substance, something the II and III game do amazingly right.
Even the "improved" version still has at least 25% less text than the original. There are entire sentences omitted in conversations.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I wonder how much stuff I'm missing in Polish dialogues when using the English subtitles. Sometimes the Polish dub goes on and on and on, while the English sub is fairly short. (It also makes it hard to focus on the sub when I can't follow the pace of the dub)

hivemind

don't do that

it's pretentious and you are not getting the authetic slav experience anyhow

just use english for everything or learn czech

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
don't do that

it's pretentious and you are not getting the authetic slav experience anyhow

just use english for everything or learn czech

But the English voices lack so much character. :negative: Geralt's Polish voice sound really good.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Actually there are ways to get the original Czech voices and proper subs, hell I used them when I played it years ago. It was better than the standard English subs.

Don't ask me where from, it was years ago but I searched for them wondering what I was missing and was glad I played in Czech with proper subs. They were fan made I believe.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Actually there are ways to get the original Czech voices and proper subs, hell I used them when I played it years ago. It was better than the standard English subs.

Don't ask me where from, it was years ago but I searched for them wondering what I was missing and was glad I played in Czech with proper subs. They were fan made I believe.

Why did you both say "Czech"? Is this some inside joke, or The Witcher was actually made with Czech in mind and everything else was secondary?

Speaking of Slavic memes and elves and gayness, its not exactly a mystery that the tensions between humans and non-humans throughout the series were based on real life tensions between Poles, Jews, and Ukranians. The jews obviously being represented by the dwarves, but as for the folk from the land of eternal wheat fields...
1383287450302.jpg

e2b8394251d0057eb6302f909f30357c,641,0,0,0.jpg

v1rus

Arcane
To all Polish slavbros - how better are the Polish dialogues, and how much was lost in the translation?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Yesterday I was getting my butt handed by four Echinops and an Archespore near the tower in the swamp. After my third death (from being stunned to hell and back by their attacks) I drank a Thunderbolt potion (increased reflexes, higher evasion) and beat them all on my first try. Simple stuff like this is why I like this game; the experience really is tailored around the fact you are a Witcher, instead of giving you an arsenal of shitty mechanics which doesn't really matter in the slightest.

Sodafish

Arcane
Yesterday I was getting my butt handed by four Echinops and an Archespore near the tower in the swamp. After my third death (from being stunned to hell and back by their attacks) I drank a Thunderbolt potion (increased reflexes, higher evasion) and beat them all on my first try. Simple stuff like this is why I like this game; the experience really is tailored around the fact you are a Witcher, instead of giving you an arsenal of shitty mechanics which doesn't really matter in the slightest.

If you think those plants are annoying in W1, wait until you encounter them in W3 Blood and Wine...

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The_Witcher.2017-12-22.21.59.35.383.jpg

It's ogre...

I have to admit that, despite its massive amount of flaws, it was a very enjoyable ride nonetheless. Except for Chapter IV, which had plenty of ups and downs. Some VERY cool moments, but not good pacing at all. Tomorrow I'll shit up the Screenshot thread with a lot of pretty pictures

Rayla best waifu

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom