Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
RE: the GM:
My interpretation of the skullheads is that Alvin's visions, being inherently chaotic and uncontrollable, are not exclusively visions of the future, but of many different times and places mixed together. The Frost might be the distant future, or it might be the distant past, or both. His interpretation of what he sees is very suspect. I mean, just look at how he twists everything Geralt tries to tell him throughout the whole game.
Look at the pleb trying to pick brain of someone infinitely greater.

PLHRkHf.jpg

Beastro

Arcane
Beastro Was GM someone from "Geralt's times"?

Also let's just give up because an old prophecy and a dude-that-wants-to-destroy-whole-human-race says so.

GM was another great visionary, broken by superstitious, petty, small minded plebs.

Stormcrowfleet Play vanilla game first.

His formative years seem to have taken place during Geralt's life time. It's also the period in which he chose to start his movement during, not before or after, but where he knew Geralt would be.

Those have nothing to do with my opinion on the matter, rather current events we're living in do. In the end it's people worrying about problems too far off and their solutions gloss over a multitude of evils that come from it, being the worst of why "the end justifies the means" is stigmatized by most.

His solution was as worse as the problem we sought to avoid and you're beginning to come off as a contrarian (or simply trolling given your latest post).

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
His formative years seem to have taken place during Geralt's life time. It's also the period in which he chose to start his movement during, not before or after, but where he knew Geralt would be.

Those have nothing to do with my opinion on the matter, rather current events we're living in do. In the end it's people worrying about problems too far off and their solutions gloss over a multitude of evils that come from it, being the worst of why "the end justifies the means" is stigmatized by most.

His solution was as worse as the problem we sought to avoid and you're beginning to come off as a contrarian (or simply trolling given your latest post).
We'll never know if GM was just a fucktard with too much power or did he really knew the right way.

It's just that people writing him off so easily (often on crappy premises, like "the end justifies the means" being objectively icky) - it triggers me.

rado907

Savant
Started playing this one on Monday... Had gone through the prologue back in the day, and had dropped the game.
And I can see why I did that - the combat feels more like Disney's Aladdin than like an RPG; charsheet development consists of sinking points into "+%dmg" passives; delivery boy quests abound; a lot of gametime is spent walking; and the seduction minigame is a bit cheesy.
On the other hand, the seduction minigame is also kind of fun; some quests are decent enough; and the game manages to amount to more than its parts.

Reminds me of Gothic more than anything else. Too bad it used that shitty NWN engine. Though at least the character models are good.

rado907

Savant
Reminds me of Gothic more than anything else. Too bad it used that shitty NWN engine. Though at least the character models are good.
True. One nice thing about TW1, though, is that Chapter 1 is generally regarded as the worst part of the game. It gets better and not worse.
I see what you mean. Chapter 1 was a lot better than the Prologue, and Chapter 2 was better yet. Chapter 2 had a couple of memorable quests - the main one with the investigation, and that party after which you get to bang the redhead. Game's picking up considerably as it goes along.
I remember that Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 followed the same pattern. Awful beginning followed by rapid improvement.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Worst moment in the second chapter was discovering that regular priests of fire(i don't know what was their name in english) look the same as Reveren

rado907

Savant
Beat it... Nice game, though it never quite reaches greatness. The graphics are not good enough (Aurora sucks imo), the combat is lame (I kited all late-game bosses) , the charsheet is dull, and the beginning and the ending of the story fail. On the other hand, the meat of the game was solid. Chapters 1-5 are pure grade A Gothic-style RPG.
Good stuff, looking forward to beating TW2.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Beat it... Nice game, though it never quite reaches greatness. The graphics are not good enough (Aurora sucks imo), the combat is lame (I kited all late-game bosses) , the charsheet is dull, and the beginning and the ending of the story fail. On the other hand, the meat of the game was solid. Chapters 1-5 are pure grade A Gothic-style RPG.
:lol: Be sure to let us know how that goes :lol:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Uninstalled TitWitcher 2 shortly after that horrible QTE river beast boss.

rado907

Savant
:lol: Be sure to let us know how that goes :lol:
Lol, I certainly will. That's what blogs forums are for. Better late than never!
:hero:

So far I saw the intro and it was awesome.
-----
Uninstalled TitWitcher 2 shortly after that horrible QTE river beast boss.
I think that's what I did, too, back when the game came out.
But this time I'll persevere.

Cadmus

Arcane
There's a few stupid QTEs but whateves. The story is cool, some nice c&c, good characters, beautiful graphics that don't reek of cheap plastic like Beth games, interesting lore. It's missing that slavic, low-key feel of TW1 but I think TW2 is great.

Frozen

Arcane
Just finished it on monday after some 4 years since the last time.
In many ways its a far superior game than all the rest in the series and one of the best RPGs ever
BUT

The cons are so irritating that they kill all the enjoyment.
At the end I felt so exhausted like running a marathon.
The share stupidity of some gameplay decisions like...cant go into buildings while the fight is on, cant loot while the fight is on...so you come to a situation like:
Chapter V going into a hospital- you have to wait for fight to end. Only problem is its a spawn place for Scoiatels. WTF why place it JUST at the door.
Or the swamp with drowners.
Or how you never know from journal could you go for more with the quest or not at that specific time.
Even if you know how things work game finds a way to fuck you over ( 1 quest only I couldn't finish don't know why... have the journal line that "I know I love Triss"...should I spoke with her again after Foltest?)
Irritating because im a completionist.
And so much backtracking....over, and over and over.
When the game is on its great but then it goes into some of these problems and you get frustrated.

Great things are :
C&C,
Probably best alchemy system in an RPG (but never in game fully explained, I didn't even find good YouTube video on it...consider doing it myself at some point because its great system but difficult to explain only in words )
Great inventory sistem, realistic- there is a dozen of swords and only 3 armor but they do matter and you cant carry 50 sets and 30 swords like it should be.
Even if dated it still looks beautiful (chapter IV) and I think the combat is not that bad- playing at the highest difficulty to get the full enjoyment is a must because alchemy and combat are not that good on normal.
And even then when you hit lvl 30 its a cakewalk, a common problem in RPGs.

Played it vanilla with 1.5 patch.
I know there is some 1.6? combat rebalance and even complete game overhaul on Nexus so for the next time I will try it out, maybe it fixes some problems.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
First of all you're a fat neckbeard you've no idea whats it like to run a marathon. Second, you're wrong. Best RPG ever but hey all enjoyment is killed. That doesnt even make sense you dumb fuk.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Finished The Witcher 1 today, after 4-7 years when I first played it. I like it. Or should I say I liked it again?

But what I wanted to say, since I've just started with the Witcher 2, are some things pertaining to Geralt's character which I've immediately noticed. In TW1, Geralt was more or less detached, calmed, perhaps even cold, but I would rather say "distant", even in those instances where characters for which he genuinely cared about were in serious problems, problems he was aware of. And I like(d) that. Also, there was something about the lack of overt cynicism, the non-aggressive sarcasm, the self-awareness with respect to the world in which Geralt lived, which was all conveyed via dialogue, which made Geralt quite... calmed, and even calming as a person. Hard to explain now in detail, since I don't have much time now for it.

Upon starting TW2, and going through the tutorial (yes, whatever), upon hearing Geralt saying how he is again stuck in the swamp with wet boots, I immediately felt that something was off. And that something is Geralt's character, at least when compared to TW1. Not only has Geralt sounded genuinely irritated by wet boots (that is "the tone"), but he also has been rather unnecessarily irritated by that guardsman's refusal to open him the doors to the arena which has caused a prolonged pointless dialogue...

I would have thought that, for a witcher, wet boots would be a normal thing, something for which no effort in either thought or talk should be invested. I would have also thought that Geralt would simply ask whether he can enter the arena, and if not - then when and under what circumstances. Avoiding the "trash" talk ("trash" as in pointless for Geralt's character). He would also show greater brevity in talk in general, not least because genuinely bitter jokes over frivolities such as whether he would be allowed to enter arena "now, or tomorrow" is really of no significant consequence for Geralt.

Now, I may have not really thought about this more, should the prologue, of which I've played like 10 min, hasn't shown me that Geralt may really be portrayed as he was in the tutorial... Which kind of worries me, by which I mean that I may be irritated as well as TW2's Geralt...

Deleted member 7219

Well, the writers changed, the voice actor remained the same but got better, but the biggest difference is that Geralt was suffering from amnesia in Witcher 1. He doesn't really know who anyone is, so he's less relaxed and much more distant

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Finally got around completing the game, had the save sitting around for years.

Man, Geralt can be such an ass in tW1.

To a groom freshly turned into a widower: "I can help to put her to rest... but it is going to cost you more than a penny".

The whole "identity searching" thing was sorely underutilized in the ending, I though your choices would be dissected more troughly. Instead we got a drawn out trash mob sequence (with no autosaves ffs arrrgh). The big plot twist was a little bit too obvious, so as I knew it was coming, I was expecting more of an confrontation of ideals sort of approach. But for the some reason the writers didn't want to make it so obvious.

Despite all the time you spent
"raising" Alvin
, it ends up being rather superficial. If the idea was that there would be room for doubt about the identity of the Grandmaster, they certainly were dropping way too many hints along the way. A proper argument between Geralt and Grandmaster would've been so much cooler way to end it, something along the lines of the ending of SitS.

Also, why the fuck did you put all the fucking drowners in the game? Even in the bloody end game sequence where you can simply toast them with a single Igni? Way to ruin otherwisely perfectly workable end sequence. After fighting all the trash mobs, I remember why it took me so many years to return to the game.

Jezal_k23

Act 5 is where I always stop giving a shit and get through it as fast as I can. I think it's the worst act. Definitely a very weak endgame sequence, but I still have a huge soft spot for TW1 overall.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Act V is proably the weakest in terms of structure and overall content (the swamp is probably a bit too much), but the actual endgame sequence that starts with the epilogue is pretty great and would be even better if you couldn't just spam Igni to win every fight in a matter of seconds at that point.

Ezrite

Learned
I honestly found it annoying but I rather meet drowners and slugpeople than have to wade through seas of over powered shit spawns like other games love to do.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The worst part of act V is the dentist that wants a Barghest skull from act I. Makes me :x everytime.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
The worst part of act V is the dentist that wants a Barghest skull from act I. Makes me :x everytime.

You should give that to him in Act III. You can find him around the Temple Quarter or in Raymond house.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom