Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Xbalanque

Educated
She sold her the poison. It's a Class C Felony in the US and as such, a person (in the right state) can be executed.

940.02(2)(a) (a) By manufacture, distribution or delivery, in violation of s. 961.41, of a controlled substance included in schedule I or II under ch. 961, of a controlled substance analog of a controlled substance included in schedule I or II under ch. 961 or of ketamine or flunitrazepam, if another human being uses the controlled substance or controlled substance analog and dies as a result of that use.

She could have helped the woman and sent her for treatment, but instead, to make a dirty buck she sold her poison to kill herself. The same way she poisoned (not fatally) the man who came to her thinking she was a prostitute when you met her, the same way she gave the drug to Alvin knowing it may harm him.

It is interesting that someone could argue that the whole town is evil, summoning the devil-dog, and forget that Abigail was a resident of the town. That is, her evil contributed just as much as anyone's. She may not have summoned the dog from her actions, but she cannot see how her complete indifference to the evil, even making a buck off it, contributed to the beat. She was just as wicked as the residents.

The Witcher points it out himself in his dialog with Abigail when she rattles off the sins of the town. “You knew but did nothing.” And she voices complete indifference “No business of mine how the poisons are used… “ Then she goes on “Don’t let them harm me. My sins are not as great as they say.” Then makes a play to make sweet love to the Witcher.

The town was evil, she knew about it, she made a buck off it. She’s as guilty as the hawk who sold weapons to the Salamanders and the Squirrels. If his indifference and pursuit of coin summoned the beast, so did hers

OH yeah I forgot that Witcher takes part in the USA and that in the medieval slavic phantasy worlds there are free therapist services everywhere. Now everything makes sense. And there were controlled substances of course a law which listed all the bad substances.

No offense, but your arguments keep getting dumber and dumber. And you refuse to make reference to the fact that the girl was raped.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
OH yeah I forgot that Witcher takes part in the USA and that in the medieval slavic phantasy worlds there are free therapist services everywhere. Now everything makes sense. And there were controlled substances of course a law which listed all the bad substances.
Thats not the point. The point is selling a poison to someone is considered being accessory to murder. Yep, it's slavic fantasy, but you can't have it both ways. You want modern thoughts on rape and suicide, medieval slavic laws on poison. Now, make up your mind on what justice system you want to follow. The girl was raped. I never said the rapist shouldn't face justice. Just that the Witcher had two choices and my choice was better.

But hey, I'll gladly comment on rape. Proving rape, and bringing someone to trial for rape in the middle ages probably would be extremely difficult, and may have been met with more indifference from the Witcher than a modern-day Paladin response you seem to be asking for. A slav raping a woman in the 1500's may have been forced to marry the woman, been killed, publicly shamed, castrated, or the woman may have been blamed. Lots of interesting articles on it, but I'm not keyed in on Polish Rape law from 1500's. Being a Christian country, they may want the woman to join a nunnery or such, maybe a Pole could respond.

Her killing herself is horrible, but being the middle ages in a Christian country, her killing herself would be the greater sin, so I'd say the Witcher wouldn't bother trying to avenge one who killed themselves. She threw away God's greatest gift, she wouldn't deserve it. She wouldn't get a proper burial and would probably bring a lot of shame to her family.

Now, I've answered your question. Let's hear your response on why it's ok, as the Witcher pointed out, for Abigail to look the other way to the crimes, and make some gold off them, but not others?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Her killing herself is horrible, but being the middle ages in a Christian country, her killing herself would be the greater sin, so I'd say the Witcher wouldn't bother trying to avenge one who killed themselves. She threw away God's greatest gift, she wouldn't deserve it. She wouldn't get a proper burial and would probably bring a lot of shame to her family.
wat

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, there are a lot of good articles on this, but I would probably just quote Wikipedia on this because they have is so succinct: In the Middle Ages, the Christian church excommunicated people who attempted suicide and those who died by suicide were buried outside consecrated graveyards. A criminal ordinance issued by Louis XIV of France in 1670 was far more severe in its punishment: the dead person's body was drawn through the streets, face down, and then hung or thrown on a garbage heap. Additionally, all of the person's property was confiscated [link]

However, the most common example of thought on suicide in the middle ages is probably Dante's Inferno. Dante placed suicides on the 7th level of hell, pretty damn deep, below lust, but on the same level as violence against people and property. Another quote from wikipedia, but the book is better [link]

Her crime would be seen as just as grave as theirs, but again, I'm not an expert on Polish law. Just have to go with the books of the day. Either way, suicide was a big deal and a poor reflection on the deceased. Modern attitudes on suicide are reflected in The Witcher, as I am pretty sure they wouldn't have a lot of respect for a person who killed themselves, regardless of the reason.

Xbalanque

Educated
Thats not the point. The point is selling a poison to someone is considered being accessory to murder. Yep, it's slavic fantasy, but you can't have it both ways. You want modern thoughts on rape and suicide, medieval slavic laws on poison. Now, make up your mind on what justice system you want to follow. The girl was raped. I never said the rapist shouldn't face justice. Just that the Witcher had two choices and my choice was better.

But hey, I'll gladly comment on rape. Proving rape, and bringing someone to trial for rape in the middle ages probably would be extremely difficult, and may have been met with more indifference from the Witcher than a modern-day Paladin response you seem to be asking for. A slav raping a woman in the 1500's may have been forced to marry the woman, been killed, publicly shamed, castrated, or the woman may have been blamed. Lots of interesting articles on it, but I'm not keyed in on Polish Rape law from 1500's. Being a Christian country, they may want the woman to join a nunnery or such, maybe a Pole could respond.

Now, I've answered your question. Let's hear your response on why it's ok, as the Witcher pointed out, for Abigail to look the other way to the crimes, and make some gold off them, but not others?
Not sure if you read the Witcher but there is no christianity there either. The thing is your whole logic behind saving the community is that: the with in the cave was different, therefore she deserves to die. She provided the tools for suicide, but her so-called "crime" had a lot lesser impact then what the Priest, Mikul and all the others sons of bitches did it. They were rapers, murderers, child traffickers and backstabbers. Yet you claim they deserve to survive and the girl deserves to die just because she was an outcast.

As for the Polish law regarding rape (even though I do not find it relevant whatsoever) the law obliged people to tear down buildings in which the women were raped as they construction was complicit for the rape and did not allow them to escape so fuck you.

Well, you know you can buy domestos or any kind of legally accessible substance/tool and commit suicide. Of course, it is bad - she knew the reason the girl wanted to buy this poison, but, nonetheless, she is not responsible for her death. She may not be a totally positive character, nonetheless she did not deserve to be killed by an angry mob.

So basically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feB7Oc8rw1o

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think this is the place in the Witcher when you actually have the right choice You can refuse to get involved and have an innocent woman killed or take your stand. Neither way do you preserve the peace.

She provided the tools for suicide, but her so-called "crime" had a lot lesser impact then what the Priest, Mikul and all the others sons of bitches did it.

Of course, it is bad - she knew the reason the girl wanted to buy this poison, but, nonetheless, she is not responsible for her death. She may not be a totally positive character, nonetheless she did not deserve to be killed by an angry mob.
She profited from the girls death and doesn't give a shit. You can watch the clip. She's not some kind of innocent. I pointed out for the greater good, sacrifice one rather than the whole town. You'd kill everyone in town to protect her, when she is horrible. It may be hard, but right about now an apology is in order.

Xbalanque

Educated
She profited from the girls death and doesn't give a shit. You can watch the clip. She's not some kind of innocent. I pointed out for the greater good, sacrifice one rather than the whole town. You'd kill everyone in town to protect her, when she is horrible. It may be hard, but right about now an apology is in order.
They are horrible, not her. And let me repeat: you do not decide between killing the whole town or her - what you decide is between letting a woman be brutally killed by a mob or stand between her and the mob. The mob attacks you later on and it is not the whole town just a bunch of dumbfucks who have commited numerous crimes and created the Beast.

I agree with one thing though I will accept your apology for you being totally wrong

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
We'll just have to agree to disagree on what was the right response in a game that doesn't punish you one way or another. It's a game that works the angles and does it well.
I don't even want to bring up my choice to kill the Vampire Whores in Vizima later on.

Sykar

Arcane

Right, one person not giving a shit while being threatened and ostracized by the entire village but went out of their way to secretly visit her whenever they need help is about the same level of "evil" as people who gang rape, murder, sell children into slavery and do illegal weapon trades for personal profit, not caring one bit who gets the weapons.

The only person who has to apologize by now for infinite retardation is you, dear nominee for shit poster 2015. :thumbsup:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Well, you've been her a month, I guess you're the judge. I only hope your next 200 posts are as insightful as the first 200!

Xbalanque

Educated
We'll just have to agree to disagree on what was the right response in a game that doesn't punish you one way or another. It's a game that works the angles and does it well.
I don't even want to bring up my choice to kill the Vampire Whores in Vizima later on.
I don't have to do anything because none of your arguments make sense.

And I did not contradict myself - she was innocent although she wasn't a positive character in every aspect. She was accused of being responsible for the creation of the beast which she did not do. Yet she was not morally great for not trying to save the girl. In any case she wasn't responsible for her suicide - probably the girl would have done it anyway by other means.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
"Indifference, to me, is the epitome of evil." A quote by some guy, Elric Wiesel. You probably never heard of the guy. The Witcher spent days digging to the bottom of the towns crimes only to find that Abigail knew *all* about them at the end. She knew who did what, and why, and even sold poisons and materials to the folks involved. The Witcher is disgusted with her. Is it a crime worse than rape or murder? No. Is it a crime as bad as the fellow who you judge as guilty, the guy who sold to the Squirrels? Yes.

Your instinct is to do a paladin on the mob. My point is that you are given two choices and serve the greater good. Is destroying the town and killing it's leaders really the best bet? Or is giving up one person involved in the crimes better? Well, we are only given one choice. Unfortunately, I made my choice, but if I had known it would have cost us our friendship, I would have made the other choice. I guess for that, I am sorry.

Xbalanque

Educated
"Indifference, to me, is the epitome of evil." A quote by some guy, Elric Wiesel. You probably never heard of the guy. The Witcher spent days digging to the bottom of the towns crimes only to find that Abigail knew *all* about them at the end. She knew who did what, and why, and even sold poisons and materials to the folks involved. The Witcher is disgusted with her. Is it a crime worse than rape or murder? No. Is it a crime as bad as the fellow who you judge as guilty, the guy who sold to the Squirrels? Yes.

Your instinct is to do a paladin on the mob. My point is that you are given two choices and serve the greater good. Is destroying the town and killing it's leaders really the best bet? Or is giving up one person involved in the crimes better? Well, we are only given one choice. Unfortunately, I made my choice, but if I had known it would have cost us our friendship, I would have made the other choice. I guess for that, I am sorry.

You still refuse to admit that this is not a choice between destroying the town and saving it - only with meta-knowledge you know the mob will attack you after the boss fight. It is a choice between moral indifference to the mob trying to kill a woman to hide the crimes of the people involved in the creation fo the Beast and refusing to be indefferent. Witcher attacks nobody, only points out their crimes and questions them being entitled to judge her as their deeds were a lot worse. He may not agree with her but it is then when he chooses between moral indiffernce. You chose such indifference and try to sell it as being moral. It's kinda funny that you choose such a quotation as an example. And don't be so sure of whom I heard and of whom I haven't, especially that you don't know his name, it's Elie

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Bold statement - you seem to have deep knowledge about this, maybe you were complicit? Now you want to take out the only witness?

She sold the poison, so all we know is that she profited from the sale. How did she profit from the girl's death?

Whatever, the witch must die. It would be better first to find all the marks of evil hidden on her body, but you don't always get what you want.

Last edited:

Ezrite

Learned
Didn't he meant to save the whole humanity? This is kind of a "the end justifies the means" scenario for some.

He saw the future, traveled in time. Maybe what he did was for the better? We'll never know.

I found him to be some kind of weird anti-hero or something. He had a vision, he saw the end. He aimed to solve it by turning all humans into super mutated beings with witcher mutagens.

Obama Phone 3

Learned
I booted up The Witcher EE-Director's Cut and the entire 1st Act was one of the most *BORING* beginnings to any game I've ever played. In comparison to other European ARPG's like Gothic or Risen for instance, The Witcher lacks the level of detail and atmosphere that the former games create. You walk into any random shack in the Outskirts of Vizima and it looks like a giant town house with nothing in it. And I mean nothing. It's like CD Projekt Red decided to slap down the same generic table, plant, and rug in each and every dwelling making them all look virtually identical. Nothing can be moved around, carried, or thrown; everything is just glued in place. You jog around the boring ass loop 10K times and see the exact same 5 character models over, and over, and over again. The phantom dogs continuously respawn and just become plain annoying. I can't stand the combat either. Sure, I've tried FCR and Flash Mod, but both make the game way too tough. I have a feeling that the game picks up after Act 1, but the world just lacks personality.

naossano

Cipher
The Prologue & Act 1 are mostly boring tutorials.
The game starts at Act 2.
I don't mind it that much as i prefer games/movies/etc that start not great to slowly increase, rather than those who give everything in the first steps with nothing relevant to sustain the remaining lenght time.

yellowcake

Arcane
I booted up The Witcher EE-Director's Cut and the entire 1st Act was one of the most *BORING* beginnings to any game I've ever played. In comparison to other European ARPG's like Gothic or Risen for instance, The Witcher lacks the level of detail and atmosphere that the former games create. You walk into any random shack in the Outskirts of Vizima and it looks like a giant town house with nothing in it. And I mean nothing. It's like CD Projekt Red decided to slap down the same generic table, plant, and rug in each and every dwelling making them all look virtually identical. Nothing can be moved around, carried, or thrown; everything is just glued in place. You jog around the boring ass loop 10K times and see the exact same 5 character models over, and over, and over again. The phantom dogs continuously respawn and just become plain annoying. I can't stand the combat either. Sure, I've tried FCR and Flash Mod, but both make the game way too tough. I have a feeling that the game picks up after Act 1, but the world just lacks personality.

If you plan to go through with the game make sure you play on HARD difficulty. It forces you to use alchemy and makes the game much better in effect.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last time I played I contemplated suicide, induced by boredom. BUT, the game certainly does pick up after that. Took me a while though. But going through an unexplored main story tangent was great. And the ending is always awesome. And I disagree with Obama Phone, I think personality is one of the things present throughout the game. Many games pretend to be dark fantasy nowadays, but this one actually has those gritty qualities. The fact that it's not kwa also helps.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
"I can't move apples around the room. Worst RPG ever"

Yeah buddy, back to Skyrim for you.

Obama Phone 3

Learned
"I can't move apples around the room. Worst RPG ever"

Yeah buddy, back to Skyrim for you.

I don't think an interactive environment is too much to ask from this type of game, is it?

Not exactly a fan of Elder Scrolls though either. Risen 1 beats The Witcher just due to the interactive environment alone.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The Prologue & Act 1 are mostly boring tutorials.
The game starts at Act 2.
I don't mind it that much as i prefer games/movies/etc that start not great to slowly increase, rather than those who give everything in the first steps with nothing relevant to sustain the remaining lenght time.

prologue and act 1 is a big pile of stinkin poo, uninstalled it, couldn't stomach any more.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
CD Projekt Red On The Making Of The Witcher 1: “We thought we could accomplish anything.”

witcherretro05.jpg

The Witcher 3 [official site] brings to a close one of the strangest trilogies in games. Unlike a series like Mass Effect, where the first game’s design laid a foundation for each subsequent instalment, The Witcher series completely reinvented itself at every turn. Yet despite the way CD Projekt Red lurched from one design to another, the series also retained an undeniably unique and consistent identity.

How much of The Witcher series’ evolution was by design, and how much was improvised? It’s hard to say, even for the CDP veterans who oversaw Geralt’s video game odyssey from beginning to end. I know because I asked.

“I remember a meeting that took place around the time when The Witcher was released,” wrote Sebastian Stępień, Creative Director at CD Projekt Red. “[CDP co-founder] Michał Kiciński produced a sheet of paper and said that he had the story blueprint for a three-part saga about the witcher. Later, I remember people talking about this legendary document, but that meeting was the first and only time I ever saw it.”

Despite the popularity of the original Witcher novels by Andrzej Sapkowski, the game series started on a wing and a prayer.

“You have to remember that back around 2005-2007, we were really young, really inexperienced, even outright naive in that we thought we could accomplish anything,” said Mateusz Kanik, Game Director. “What’s more, we actually believed we had the know-how to do it. In hindsight, I honestly have to say that we were wrong.”

witcheretro06.jpg

Kanik means his remark in good humor, but there’s some truth to his harsh self-assessment. The Witcher remains a strange game, and a big part of its unusual character comes from the struggles CD Projekt endured as it battled the Neverwinter Nights engine.

Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, another CDP Game Director, explained, “It was our first title, a project we actually used to learn how to develop games. On top of that, we had huge ambitions that extended well beyond the capabilities of BioWare’s engine. Above all, we wanted to push the envelope graphically, so we rebuilt the renderer from scratch and created our own means for displaying visuals.”

One of the unique things about The Witcher, back in 2007, was the way it was brimming with life-like details. I remember being floored when the skies opened up over a tiny village center and everyone started running for shelter, clustering under eaves and awnings while waiting for the storm to pass.

“Since BioWare’s engine didn’t support large in-game communities, we had to create our own tools that would let us generate populations that would be satisfactory in size and follow a daily life cycle,” Tomaszkiewicz said. “It wasn’t easy, but ultimately we managed to produce something that truly resembled a living world, where folk had their jobs and lifestyles. They’d leave their homes in the morning, visit the local tavern after work to unwind, then go home to their families come evening. Merchants would hawk their wares, guardsmen would patrol Vizima’s back streets.”

witcheretro08.jpg

But the Neverwinter Nights engine still had to be clubbed into submission in some other ways, using tricks that are both laughable and ingenious.

“I remember thinking that the [Neverwinter editor] tool was pretty rigid, that it afforded designers little flexibility,” he continued. “I can’t count the number of times we had to resort to scripting unique events. Scripts in Neverwinter Nights were assigned to objects, so oftentimes we would place more complex bits of logic, for instance, in a torch hanging on the wall of a building inhabited by some specific NPCs.”

Improvised solutions like these let the team overcome their crude tools and lack of experience, and that’s why Kanik can’t call their effort a failure. But looking back from the vantage point of 2015, it’s hard for him not to wonder what The Witcher could have been if only they’d been a bit wiser.

“We made up for it with passion, commitment and plain hard work — and that’s why, in spite of everything, the game was a success,” Kanik said. “But if we ventured back in time with all we know and have now, we could avoid all those walls we crashed into head-on. We could avoid a multitude of problems, production-related and otherwise, and produce a game with far more polished features, and probably a far greater number of them.”

Despite its technical limitations, The Witcher’s themes and tone set it apart. The dirt and grime of that first game wasn’t in service of “gritty” realism or grimdark fantasy tropes, but a byproduct of the series’ relentless focus on ground-level, human-scale stories.

witcheretro09.jpg

“Geralt makes a living by solving the problems of others,” explained Marcin Blacha, lead writer. “He travels from place to place, looking for opportunities to make money. That’s actually a very convenient excuse to tell stories about the everyday lives of the world’s inhabitants, be they kings, merchants, peasants or beggars.

While the story that ultimately drives the last act of The Witcher is a typical “battle for the fate of the world”, most of the game is concerned with petty crimes and betrayals.

“The games about Geralt contend that evil has its source in people – in their lies and weaknesses that others can easily exploit,” Blacha continued. “Stories of this kind are far more suggestive than, say, a story about an invasion by evil demons. True, we use supernatural beings and forces in the games, but merely as metaphors. The Beast from the Outskirts is not scary just because it’s a dangerous monster. It’s also frightening because it’s an incarnation of misdeeds and sins we might witness or experience in our daily lives.”

The flip-side of that is The Witcher’s focus on friendships. Even if Geralt was routinely exploring the dark-side of human nature, and alternating between dour impassivity and ironic distance, he was warmed by the friends who surrounded him.

“To this day,” said Stępień, “I have fond memories of Old Friend of Mine, [a quest] which culminated with the get-together at Shani’s house. That’s a quest that I think really manages to capture the spirit of Sapkowski’s prose, a spirit that’s hard to capture in a computer game because it assumes an almost complete lack of action: no enemies — none of the challenges players are used to having in a quest. But we managed to produce something successful and had a good time doing it. I think I still have the uncut version of that quest somewhere, where there’s at least three times as much dialogue as you saw in that quest in the game.”

witcheretro10.jpg

In 2015, post-Game of Thrones, The Witcher series tells a fashionable sort of low-fantasy story. But at the time, it was unusual for a fantasy RPG to be so firmly rooted in and driven by character as opposed to fantastical elements.

“I think [George R.R.] Martin and [Witcher author Andrzej] Sapkowski have something in common, but it’s not specifically their books — or more precisely, the distinct stories these two writers tell differ in terms of mood, tempo, protagonists, the lore of the worlds they’ve created, and so forth,” said Stępień. “What they share is the assumption that their protagonists, and most characters, in fact, are motivated by largely mundane matters and that their motives are often purely egotistical.”

But the other thing that defined The Witcher from the start was its alien-ness. The Witcher was not drawing from Tolkien, Shakespeare, and King Arthur stories for its inspiration, but the culture and history of a specific region.

Borys Pugacz-Muraszkiewicz, the Lead Writer for the English edition of the game, explained, “The grim, conflict-ridden, monster-infested world, wherein life is tenuous and war or the prospect of it are ever-present: Arguably, this is a reflection of centuries of Polish and northern/eastern European history. Poland and much of eastern Europe consists of vast plains across which, over the centuries, armies have marched repeatedly, in one direction or another. And the associated imagery seems indelible to us – burning villages, soldiers taking down border barriers and markers, planting new posts to mark out conquered territory, refugees streaming across the landscape…”

witcheretro11.jpg

Contrary to what current-events watchers might think, Nilfgaard isn’t an analog to an imperialist Russia, or a German empire, in Pugacz-Muraszkiewicz’s view. In terms of the politics of Northern Realms, they are closer to the Tatar and Turkish force that menaced the southern plains of Eastern Europe for centuries. But of course, the partition of Poland and its occupation and political subjugation in the 20th century are all events that resonate throughout the fiction of The Witcher.

Still, there are places that The Witcher is more pointed in its influences.

“Take King Foltest of Temeria,” Pugacz-Muraskiewicz said. “On the surface he’s a strong, bellicose monarch. Underneath, he’s deeply tainted [by a] daughter born of his incestuous union with his own sister, a daughter who at one point threatens his reign. Compare him to Poland’s King John III Sobieski, arguably one of the country’s most impressive rulers, who commanded the forces that lifted the siege of Vienna to end the Ottoman incursion into Europe in the 17th century. At the same time, he married a syphilitic widow, was afflicted himself, and lived with the complications, which were nothing to scoff at.”

Or there is the rise of the Church of Eternal Fighter and its militant wing, The Order of the Flaming Rose. It’s a story that lurks in the background of The Witcher games, but by the time you reach The Witcher 3, the Church has enough political and military power to operate with impunity. Their rise in The Witcher parallels the virulent influence of the Teutonic Order and the crusades to Christianize the European periphery in the Middle Ages.

“[This topic] could potentially spawn a minor dissertation,” he admitted. “I haven’t even intimated at the more literary and cultural references [in the Witcher series], like the friction between the Romantic and Positivist worldviews, the coexistence of superstition and science, the Frozen or Ice Plains at the tail end of the game as reflecting a strong trope in Polish culture: namely, the revisiting of past triumphs and tragedies.”

witcheretro07.jpg

But this is the stuff that unites The Witcher series, despite the ways that CD Projekt constantly changed their vision for the game based on their resources and experience. It’s why, long before The Witcher could be anyone’s idea of a blockbuster franchise, it was important to the people who played it.

“This is a truism, but deep transformation and adaptation have been key. Foltest and Radovid are not direct references to Sobieski or any other monarch, Nilfgaard is not the Ottoman Empire, nor the Soviet, nor any other, the Scoia’tael guerillas are not Home Army fighters, nor, for that matter, are they Apache warriors, and the Order of the Flaming Rose is not the Teutonic Knights,” Pugacz-Muraskiewcz said.

“These things are at one and the same time none of their references and all of their references. And that is exactly the nature of resonance.”

"Church of Eternal Fighter" lolwut, has somebody been playing Quest for Glory 2

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom