Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Deleted member 7219

I remember back when The Witcher was first announced and it looked a lot more like NWN (it was made in the Aurora engine). Back then it was originally designed for isometric.

At some point they decided to upgrade the visuals, go all out on the art design, put in some really nice textures and a lot of level of detail. When they did that I think they basically made it so third person / OTS was the better option. I do think it is better played as that.

Switch to isometric if you think it makes the larger fights easier, but I've completed the game around four times now and each time I've done it with third person.

Isn't OTS basically EE editon upgrade ? I don't remember such details now.

There was a third person mode in the original, this wasn't new to the EE. They may have improved the camera a bit.

FCR fir W1 ? Imo it is needles and original game hard mode is enough to actually make you use all witcher tributes like potions and magic and unlike TW2 difficulty is a thing in it if you come unprepared.

In vanilla W1 I basically never needed potions on the highest difficulty, and I stayed away from magic cause I heard it was OP (granted I still do so in FCR W1 because I rather dislike the magic gimmick anyway, so I can't comment if its better balanced there).

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
By the way you can get both Witchers on GOG for 3,68 eurobucks (1,19+2,49) or your equivalent for 19 more hours.

Waste of money, the original NWN Aurora engine can do much more and there's so much high quality free community content available (Aielund Saga, Hex Coda 01, Darkness Over Daggerford, dozens of others) that TW1 isn't really worth playing. The world, art direction, lore and alchemy system are great, but overall it's a failure - even as a popamole - and doesn't live up to the RPGs of the past.

Perkel

Arcane
By the way you can get both Witchers on GOG for 3,68 eurobucks (1,19+2,49) or your equivalent for 19 more hours.

Waste of money, the original NWN Aurora engine can do much more and there's so much high quality free community content available (Aielund Saga, Hex Coda 01, Darkness Over Daggerford, dozens of others) that TW1 isn't really worth playing. The world, art direction, lore and alchemy system are great, but overall it's a failure - even as a popamole - and doesn't live up to the RPGs of the past.

TW1 is better game than NWN1 and NWN2 combined. It just don't have replay-ability in form of shitty implemented D&D3 rules.

naossano

Cipher

And miss Vizima ? How could you purposly miss Vizima ?

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Though I don't think added actual top down turn based combat would do The Witcher 1 much good. Not unless they add an actual party that travels with Geralt, but that kind of goes against the character and the story of the game. I think it'd have been better with blade of darkness or dark soulsian combat. I mean, when is 1 player character turn based combat ever prudent?

Then again they went full action combat in the second game, and it's still shit. .

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Though I don't think added top down turn based combat would do The Witcher 1 much good. Not unless they add an actual party that travels with Geralt, but that kind of goes against the character and the story of the game.
Well, he did end up with a party of sorts towards the end of the novels (and a TPK).

I think it'd have been better with blade of darkness or dark soulsian combat. I mean, when is 1 player character turn based combat ever prudent?
:salute:
In before an :x :mob:of :butthurt::rpgcodex:.

Then again they went full action combat in the second game, and it's still shit. .
It's just how they roll (hint).

Ezrite

Learned
Though I don't think added top down turn based combat would do The Witcher 1 much good. Not unless they add an actual party that travels with Geralt, but that kind of goes against the character and the story of the game.
Well, he did end up with a party of sorts towards the end of the novels (and a TPK).

I think it'd have been better with blade of darkness or dark soulsian combat. I mean, when is 1 player character turn based combat ever prudent?
:salute:
In before an :x :mob:of :butthurt::rpgcodex:.

It's just how they roll (hint).

Well they could give him Siegfried, The healer girl with the name I forgot right now and Zoltan in a party. Triss to, paladin, cleric, wizard, fighter in DnD terms. It is a Aurora engine game after all.

naossano

Cipher
The game doesn't have any permanent party members, but has a lot of temporary ones.
They might have expanded it a bit, by giving more freedom in hiring those.
The example that provide the most freedom, IMO, is the guy you could hire if you help the bridge builders in the fourth act. That arrow guy would follow you, as you wish, anytime, in some specific areas. He act as a semi-permanent companion for this act, but only in a few maps.

They could have used that concept for more parts of the games. Let's say, if you save Zoltan, he could help you for most of Act 1, if you need him. Or Berangar/Dandelion in act 4, Zoltan/Siegfried in Act 5, Meies in act 3. Those characters are on your side, and are mostly sitting around doing nothing on specific acts, once you did their quest.
They would still not have followed you in all acts, departing when the plot needed them or needed you to be alone.

Ezrite

Learned
The game doesn't have any permanent party members, but has a lot of temporary ones.
They might have expanded it a bit, by giving more freedom in hiring those.
The example that provide the most freedom, IMO, is the guy you could hire if you help the bridge builders in the fourth act. That arrow guy would follow you, as you wish, anytime, in some specific areas. He act as a semi-permanent companion for this act, but only in a few maps.

They could have used that concept for more parts of the games. Let's say, if you save Zoltan, he could help you for most of Act 1, if you need him. Or Berangar/Dandelion in act 4, Zoltan/Siegfried in Act 5, Meies in act 3. Those characters are on your side, and are mostly sitting around doing nothing on specific acts, once you did their quest.
They would still not have followed you in all acts, departing when the plot needed them or needed you to be alone.

Sounds reasonable and probably how most companions should work in other games. There is no reason for like 90% of the characters in Baldurs Gate to follow the protagonist to the end of the world. But I guess the loot they will roll in keep em.

Just got inside Vizima and the came is cozier than I thought it be, you get used to the hillarious animations but then I should be used to that already being a former fan of Bioware(A)s crap. The game surely grows on you.

pippin

twitcher 1 was some weird moments, like people must sleep kicking in the air everytime.
and then there's this awesome bug

hqdefault.jpg

Ninjerk

Arcane

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's the ultimate form of casualness. Misplaced awe and utter lazyness rolled into one. Of course we must remember most rpgcodex smileys are used as hyperbole. So on the 'dex it's used when people prioritize graphics or sex scenes or general spectacle, I think?

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
The guy brought an entire box of pizza to a movie theater to watch Avatar in 3d...

I don't get it...
I used with my friends to buy 1L vodka + 2 pizzas before going to movie.

Never understood those popcorn fags.

DraQ

Arcane
That's one of the Codex smilies I don't understand, so...
Here I just used it to mark the incredible spectacle unfolding before my eyes.

Anyway, I was just joking - lots of people here think the saga was shit and the stories are only trve kvlt.
Well, the saga did become a bit try-hard towards the end, admittedly.

Anyway stories are more or less TW1 in terms of overall tone, saga is more or less TW2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom