Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Psst, dragonfk, as a fellow Martin fan--

"Unlike Moorcock's and like Martin's characters, Sapkowski's characters aren't "eternal champions""

Mayday

Augur
Jesus fuck, just how many Poles are there around here? Seems like there were just three of us when I joined.

Ausir

Arcane
No, no and no. Sapkowski is not as good as Martin. And I admit being rabid fan of The WItcher saga, until I read Erikson and then master of pen, emperor of intrigue, god of unexpected, namely Martin.

Let's agree to disagree here. I'm a fan of Martin and Sapkowski, but I didn't like Erikson too much.

If there is one thing I would say about characters from Martins books it would be that they are driven only by their honour, personal needs and ambitions. No prophecies, no deus et machina to push the plot further.

I would also like to note that ASoIaF books are not continous in narration(for example events in the forthcoming "Dance of Dragons" will take place simultanously as "A Feast for Crows".

Yes, but that's only because it was meant to be one book that just grew too big.

Agreed on the honour, personal needs and ambitions part, but so are Sapkowski's characters. And there are prophecies in ASoIaF too, with some characters being driven by them.

And I'm not saying that Sapkowski's and Martin's style is the same, I'm just saying that Sapkowski is much more comparable to Martin than to writers like Salvatore and other D&D crap.

Ausir

Arcane
Mayday said:
Jesus fuck, just how many Poles are there around here? Seem like there were just three of us when I joined.

There were more years before you joined.

dragonfk

Erudite
Mayday said:
Jesus fuck, just how many Poles are there around here? Seem like there were just three of us when I joined.

Though I am a Pole, you seems to forget that The Witcher saga was translated into most popular(in terms or quantity of users) languages except for english and maybe chinese and indi(or whatever they speak in India).

Expect the unexpected. Soon enough the fact that most of german members of the Codex have polish roots will see the light of the day. :lol:

Ausir

Arcane
The entire Saga has only been translated into Czech, Russian and Lithuanian, as far as I know (and will be soon translated into Spanish, as "The Lady of the Lake" is about to be published in Spain). Only the short story collections were published in French and German so far (AFAIR), and only "The Last Wish" was published in English and Portugese.

I've heard of an unauthorized translation into Chinese (from Russian), but I'm not exactly sure if it's true.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ausir said:
The entire Saga has only been translated into Czech, Russian and Lithuanian, as far as I know (and will be soon translated into Spanish, as "The Lady of the Lake" is about to be published in Spain). Only the short story collections were published in French and German so far (AFAIR), and only "The Last Wish" was published in English and Portugese.

I've heard of an unauthorized translation into Chinese (from Russian), but I'm not exactly sure if it's true.

German? Great. The whole thing in Lithuanian? Nice, always wanted to learn that language anyways.

Also, Chapter 5 is laggy as hell because of the huge battles.

caliban

Scholar

I suggest we call forth a gathering of all Polish codexers. We'll do what we do best: drink and plot conspiracies. :D

caliban

Scholar
It's quite a good idea, actually. There aren't any good cRPg sites in Polish that show things from the proper (i.e. codexian) point of view.

Just one thing - if it ever happens, don't let phx get its hands on the project ;)

Madman

Novice
i'm satisfied with cooperation with phx. I do what i want, have a lot of visitors and phx doesn't care about the rest, as well as i dont care about phx;) but codex on phx indeed isn't something i could imagine:)

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
About cut-scenes:
dumbfuck@gamebanshee's Witcher forums said:
Do you play a game to interact with an environment or to non-interactively watch a story unfold which you have no control over? Do you understand that one is a game and the other is essentially not? Interactivity is what differentiates a game from a movie. If you do not have control over your character in a cutscene, you aren't playing the game. Your characters acts as the game designers want him to act, in pre-defined, static movements and dialogue. In a sense, you are no longer playing the game, but watching a movie.

Like I said, they may be great to look at, but you are still just watching a movie. Great games, ones that I consider masterpieces, involve interactivity to tell the story to the player. Yeah, I'd love to watch a 2 hour movie of the Witcher, but I paid for a game (read: interactivity), so I don't expect the majority of my play-time to consist of watching movies. I want to play a game.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/the-w ... 93581.html

LOL

EDIT: I liked the part about racial tensions in WoW

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I see that this guy never played a jRPG, I would want to see him playing Xenosaga II.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
WhiskeyWolf said:
I see that this guy never played a jRPG, I would want to see him playing Xenosaga II.

I doubt he played anything 'cept MMORPGs.

I would understand if he would complain about JE's cut-scenes...

EDIT:
another dumbfuck said:
They are too long, which I agree is arguable depending on your taste, but another gripe of mine is that every conversation with an NPC sucks you into a cutscene type dialogue interface, completely removing you from the game world. Why does it have to do that? Sure, the blur effect looks amazing on the background, but is it worth the sacrifice of immersion, interactivity, and freedom in order to have pretty graphics? I don't think so.
I'm speechless...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
bozia2012 said:
I'm speechless...
There, there Bozia, soon all MMORPG morons will die from exhaustion and everything will be alright.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
WhiskeyWolf said:
bozia2012 said:
I'm speechless...
There, there Bozia, soon all MMORPG morons will die from exhaustion and everything will be alright.
This is a rather old thread, but it's also a real dumbfuck extravaganza!

I'm at page 4 of this downward spiral of madness...

BTW: I'm replaying the Witcher and I have 3 questionzz:
1. How the fuck does someone make a silver-sword-style-special-move (i.e. Fist of Wind)? Manual says you must hold LMB to load it up, but this is not working (Geralt attacks right away)...
2. How the fuck does someone make a special move during fist-fights (unlocked by spending a bronze talent)?
3. The "monster lore" feat seems to be broken - all info I have always gathered from books...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
How the fuck does someone make a silver-sword-style-special-move
Never did something like that...
How the fuck does someone make a special move during fist-fights
Hold down the button for a powerful blow (although spending bronze talents in fistfighting is pointless, I mean it's really easy)
The "monster lore" feat seems to be broken - all info I have always gathered from books...
I think the monster lore feat enables you to learn more info from books and stuff.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Ahh.. I can't be bothered to do the trial'n'error stuff...

ghostdog said:
How the fuck does someone make a silver-sword-style-special-move
Never did something like that...
Aard, Igni and Axii have a 4th level feat that enables special moves with signs (Axii-fast-blinds, Igni-group-incinerates and Aard-strong-stuns). How to execute it? I think there may be "normal" special moves (not involving signs) - once during the endgame my finger slipped and the 4th or 5th attack went OTT - Geralt was jumping like a madman, spinning, switching hands and the screen was shaking like there was no tomorow. Also the descriptions for that feats say "works only with a x-style special move".

ghostdog said:
How the fuck does someone make a special move during fist-fights
Hold down the button for a powerful blow (although spending bronze talents in fistfighting is pointless, I mean it's really easy)
This I know. Is that it? Also - the character system lets you buy all bronze feats....

ghostdog said:
The "monster lore" feat seems to be broken - all info I have always gathered from books...
I think the monster lore feat enables you to learn more info from books and stuff.
O RLY? Then the description is a bit confusing...

Hehe - anyone interested in a "Let's Play the Witcher!" thread?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
bozia2012 said:
3. The "monster lore" feat seems to be broken - all info I have always gathered from books...
Worked for me. I got it very early, after only reading a book or two, and immediately got lots of info on quite a few monsters. Getting it late is completely useless, I guess, since you already know most of the stuff.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Elwro said:
bozia2012 said:
Worked for me. I got it very early, after only reading a book or two, and immediately got lots of info on quite a few monsters. Getting it late is completely useless, I guess, since you already know most of the stuff.

Well, on my first playthrough I also took it quickly (before even reading the first book). In the description there's only something about bringing your memory back - so I thought fighting a monster is enough to trigger this ability...

Care to elaborate on the special moves question? I can't find it nowhere on the internets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom