Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Weekly/Yearly LOL Baldur's Gate sucks thread!

hell bovine

Arcane
No, BGEE devs actually went into the source code and improved it. As detailed here. It's still not perfect but it was definitely noticeable to me as someone whom has played the series many times.

Do you actually play it at 1920x1080? It's not specific to me. Even in this very thread there's multiple posts saying that playing at high resolution is awful. And I don't really care about selling it. I even said it's not worth the money. Just at the end of the day it is the best version available, if only slightly. Well, so long as you're ok with pretending the additional NPCs don't exist that is.
I play at 1920x1080 actually. And have no problems with it. What I have problems in games is fast motion, but such a concept does not exist in BG anyway.
As for best version, depends what you play it for, doesn't it. Sure, improved pathfinding sounds great, but not at the cost of Ascension to me. And I want to try the Eclipse fight from Solaufein with a party too. Neither BG1 or BG2 without battle mods was much fun from me, and how many of those are EE compatible?

Greatness

Cipher
I play at 1920x1080 actually. And have no problems with it. What I have problems in games is fast motion, but such a concept does not exist in BG anyway.
As for best version, depends what you play it for, doesn't it. Sure, improved pathfinding sounds great, but not at the cost of Ascension to me. And I want to try the Eclipse fight from Solaufein with a party too. Neither BG1 or BG2 without battle mods was much fun from me, and how many of those are EE compatible?

SCS and BP-Ascension are both compatible. Just about every mod that matters to me is compatible at this point. The only exception being Level1NPC's, which is easy enough to replicate with EEKeeper. I don't know what battle mods you refer to other than SCS. Rogue Rebalancing and the like are all compatible. Tweak Pack/aTweaks/etc are all compatible. Banter Packs/Unfinished Business/Quest Pack/NPCExpansions/etc are all compatible. I'd never willingly suffer through Solaufein or any of the fan-made NPC's, so I don't know about them.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You can modify the BG:EE files with ifunbox, copy out/in save games and character files etc - all without jailbreaking. I've messed around with it some, but I just wanted to know if there was an easy way to be rid of the intrusive marketing - on a game I already paid for, no less.

This is actually one the most valid complaint with the EE. All the nickle and dime DLC shit and the advertising screen.

Turjan

Arcane
Oh noes the dreaded blur filter. I just loaded up vanilla + EE installs to actually compare them since I always see this brought up.

I cut/pasted the EE screenshot into the original UI so I could more easily compare them.
euXUf2I.png
VL4HJ3z.png

That huge difference is definitely worth dealing with the clunky resolution implementation, long save/load times, horrible alt-tabbing, atrocius path finding, etc. Right?
Not sure how you want to judge their implementation of what they consider HD with 640x480 screenshots.

hell bovine

Arcane
SCS and BP-Ascension are both compatible. Just about every mod that matters to me is compatible at this point. The only exception being Level1NPC's, which is easy enough to replicate with EEKeeper. I don't know what battle mods you refer to other than SCS. Rogue Rebalancing and the like are all compatible. Tweak Pack/aTweaks/etc are all compatible. Banter Packs/Unfinished Business/Quest Pack/NPCExpansions/etc are all compatible. I'd never willingly suffer through Solaufein or any of the fan-made NPC's, so I don't know about them.
Solaufein brings two fun battles and frankly, improved pathfinding is not worth the trade for me. I just skip the romance, which is very easy to do. And SCSII readme was not really encouraging about installing it with BP-Ascension: http://www.gibberlings3.net/scsii/compatibility.php
Neither were the Ascension thread on the official EE forums, which I went through before deciding on getting the original games from GOG.

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
Fun fact - youre an imbecile! :lol:

How about finding a mod that removes all the powers from the player that are denied to game enemies you laughable devolved faggot?
That's not how the debate went, fucktard. :smug: You originally tried to insist that spellcasters in BG didn't cheat.

retardhiver said:
None of those are "SCRIPTED NON-COUNTERABLE SPELLS that live outside of the ruleset"
They are all in the ruleset you stupid laughable devolved shit.
Spell sequencers - moron. Plenty of them too, which you can also use if you want. Nothing insta replenishing about them.
Charm is an ordinary spell you can use, summons too. Detonation arrows you can get too.
Teleporting - is actually invisibility spell.
Beholders are special high level creatures with their own abilities you cannot have because you are not a Beholder, imbecile.
Kangax imprisonment spells are the same ones you can use.

See, this is you trying to insist that enemies don't go outside the ruleset, and revealed just how little you actually know about BG.

Then, as the debate went on, bit by little bit you slowly became aware of the reality. First you realized Irenicus cheated all the fucking time. Then Kangaxx cheated as both the lich and a demilich. Then the beholders, who do not respect the real-time turn-based combat of the game. Add to that the rest of the liches, mages at twisted rune, mages in durlag's tower, mages in the Underdark, mages in Sarevok's party, and just a shitload of random mages throughout the game, casting instant uninterruptible spells that work differently that the player's spells, and your argument is fucked in every hole like your mom. :smug:

Needless to say, you're completely wrong and probably never played BG in the first place, or sucked a huge nigger cock while doing it - anyone who played BG knows of the nice little encounters where you manage to insta-kill an enemy mage with an explosive arrow in the first second of combat, the mage dies, falls to the ground and becomes lootable, and then his dead body script-casts a spell anyway. :lol: Anyone who isn't a total moron knows SPELLCASTERS IN BALDUR'S GATE CHEAT LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW. This mod reduces the cheating element and instead improves their AI, from the description and player feedback it makes spellcasters much more fun AND FAIR to defeat. WHICH IS WHAT BIOWARE SHOULD HAVE DONE INSTEAD OF HARD-CODING SPELL-CHEATS.

Then you tried mumbling something about OMG SO MUCH CHEESE - well, first of all, every mention of supposed cheese in the game you provided was debunked immediately.

Newsflash: attacking from a safe distance is cheese in hiver's world of lunacy. :lol:
Newsflash: having stealth is cheese in hiver's world of lunacy. :lol: In no way does it amount to abuse of the ruleset, because you either have high stealth and the enemy fails the check, or he sees you and kills you. Meaning, it works exactly the way it should.
Eager to hear about abusing fog of war.
And now we know how hiver plays Baldur's Gate. :lol: Save, fail, repeat. Hundred attempts later he randomly wins and runs to RPGCodex screaming awesome encounter design. :roll:
That's just a forgiving mechanic to prevent crap players like you from getting stuck with an unbeatable boss. I don't recall ever being motivated to flee in the middle of a boss battle because it never made sense narratively. Giving enemies cheating script-spells is not a viable solution to this problem because a well-designed hard enemy encounter should be hard even for a fully-stocked freshly-healing party. And many boss battles wouldn't let you leave until the boss was dead, if I remember correctly. Some enemies, like liches, will follow you outside. Basically, more nonsense from dumbfuck!!.
You weren't able to respond to this, and indeed how could you - half of these in no way amount to cheese, being legitimate player abilities that are available to enemies as well, the fog of war bit you made up on the fly and shriveled up as soon as I asked you to clarify, and save-scumming hardly warrants cheating spell-casters in any way whatsoever.

Second, even if there was too much cheese in the game, it only proves that Bioware couldn't develop decent RPG gameplay even in its glory days, and had to compensate for shit enemy encounter design by making enemies cheat... which is kind of my point in the first place. :smug: So nice of you to give additional support, not that I needed it. :)

So basically, you just ate shit on every front. I will eagerly await your hilarious mental breakdown and ignore you afterwards, as you haven't a single living brain-cell in your skull and talking to you forces one to repeatedly explain the most basic points so that you can follow the argument long enough to understand just how utterly retarded you are. And that's pretty fucking annoying. :roll: Go jester, do the yuk-yuk.

hiver

No imbecile, i said its nothing to fret about like you as a stupid devolved faggot did, because the player cheats and has much more "powers that are not in the rule-set" - which you tried to laughably deny.

stick to facts instead of your idiotic strawmans.

And dont be so stupidly arrogant, dumbfuck. :lol:

Greatness

Cipher
Solaufein brings two fun battles and frankly, improved pathfinding is not worth the trade for me. I just skip the romance, which is very easy to do. And SCSII readme was not really encouraging about installing it with BP-Ascension: http://www.gibberlings3.net/scsii/compatibility.php
Neither were the Ascension thread on the official EE forums, which I went through before deciding on getting the original games from GOG.

SCS2 has been obsoleted for a long time now. SCS1+2 were combined and updated into one mod just known as Sword Coast Stratagems, and it has been working for EEs for that entire time. The author specifically says it's compatible now in the second sentence on the mods webpage.

The same deal with BP-Ascension. The old ascension mod it very archaic. It doesn't actually patch the game like other mods and instead overwrites everything, which is obviously not a very good idea for compatibility reasons. The BP-Ascension version fixes that issue and is fully compatible, barring one bug that is easily fixed.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Isn’t DavidW, the SCS author, working for Beamdog? It would make sensefor him to support EE. Still nice that updates the mod for the other versions of the game.

hell bovine

Arcane
SCS2 has been obsoleted for a long time now. SCS1+2 were combined and updated into one mod just known as Sword Coast Stratagems, and it has been working for EEs for that entire time. The author specifically says it's compatible now in the second sentence on the mods webpage.

The same deal with BP-Ascension. The old ascension mod it very archaic. It doesn't actually patch the game like other mods and instead overwrites everything, which is obviously not a very good idea for compatibility reasons. The BP-Ascension version fixes that issue and is fully compatible, barring one bug that is easily fixed.
But I am not asking about SCS compatibility with EE, but with BP-Ascension. (I actually have the combined SCS installed, just didn't notice it) The SCS webpage you linked to mentions just Ascension - which I assume is the archaic version.
From the SCS readme:
Ascension is fully compatible with SCS II. By default, Ascension enemies use their own scripts instead of SCS scripts, although a number of components change this. (Note in particular that the Ascension "tougher Demogorgon" component is overridden by the "Improved Fiends" component of SCS.
However, a number of reports suggest that SCS is not compatible with "BP-Ascension", the version of Ascension that ships with the Big Picture. I recommend that you use the standard WEIDU version of Ascension (at www.weidu.org) with SCS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom