Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Watch Dogs Watch

Paul_cz

Arcane
Like this game a lot. It may not be some genius level masterpiece, but as far as open city action games go, this is one of the best, next to Sleeping Dogs and Mafia 1. The hacking aspect spices things up quite a lot, and I love the fact that I can play stealthily for the most part, and not kill civilians.
The city looks breathtaking on ultra spec, which helps too.
Oh and multiplayer is awesome. I tried invading, tailing and online races so far. All of it very entertaining. I like how they merged MP and SP so seamlessly.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Uplay sucks but don't blame it for this part. You chose to also have to load Steam.

No, I chose not to buy the game at all. Ubisoft—a publisher, not a developer like Valve with just a handful of titles to its name—chose to force their proprietary client on everyone (to "enhance the player experience," of course), although unlike EA, their games are still available on Steam also.

Ubisoft's titles on Steam could simply continue to utilize Steam only rather than also forcing me to install uPlay. That is their choice. Furthermore, they could have continued to use Steam rather than cramming a proprietary client down my throat in the first place. Better yet, they could simply not include DRM in the first place, since it doesn't work, which is why all these annoying clients are so infuriating to begin with. I'd prefer not to have my "experience" "enhanced" by a client for every single damn publisher, which is the way things are going. If I were to purchase Watch Dogs through uPlay only, I'd be encouraging it.

But this is threadcrapping by now; I've had my say and I'll depart.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Oh and multiplayer is awesome. I tried invading, tailing and online races so far. All of it very entertaining. I like how they merged MP and SP so seamlessly.

The multiplayer was one of the things I was genuinely hyped about, and it's the only thing I can't try with my pirate bay edition.

Gaben halp.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No, I chose not to buy the game at all. Ubisoft—a publisher, not a developer like Valve with just a handful of titles to its name—chose to force their proprietary client on everyone (to "enhance the player experience," of course), although unlike EA, their games are still available on Steam also.

Ubisoft's titles on Steam could simply continue to utilize Steam only rather than also forcing me to install uPlay.

This is a silly Steam fanboy argument. There are tons of games you can only get through Steam even if you prefer GOG, Amazon or even discs. I don't see Valve selling Portal 2 on GOG in case you don't want to use Steam. It's in their interest to force you to go through Steam. Ubisoft is doing the same thing, forcing you to use Uplay. If someone chooses to buy the game through Steam anyway, knowing that, they are opting-in to using two clients, not being forced to. It's a Uplay game, end of story.

The problem isn't Ubisoft wanting to use their own client, the problem is their client sucks.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I like the game... but it's got limited entertainment once you get through the novelty of hacking stuff, side missions and shit like that.. It's still fun to troll around the city and fuck shit up or be the hero hacker.

Uplay sucks giant alien dick.

I don't have alot of problems with origin.. it works, and it's not really annoying... I find steam more annoying at times still, than origin.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I liked the nod to Drive in the main mission. And in an intrusion, I saw a guy (member of the fedora foundation) arguing on the phone because he didn't the slutty doll he paid 400 bucks for. 10/10.

Monad

Learned
Yea that Drive part was great, too bad it only lasted 30 seconds.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Very good review actually... some good points about sandbox gaming in general :)

I've yet to play GTA 5, because well... it's still not released for PC... -_-... and neither is Red Dead Redemption :(

Vibalist

Arcane
Ubisoft released a new trailer.

The problem with this is that it isn't really showing the game's flaws, merely its bugs. If you want to show the contrast between the reviewer quotes and the actual quality of the game, show us how the gameplay sucks instead.

This is like that thing spellcaster just talked about. Everyone's a critic, but apparently there's very little thought behind a lot of the criticism.

EDIT: I'm not saying the bugs are excusable, however.

Ubisoft's titles on Steam could simply continue to utilize Steam only rather than also forcing me to install uPlay.

This is a silly Steam fanboy argument. There are tons of games you can only get through Steam even if you prefer GOG, Amazon or even discs. I don't see Valve selling Portal 2 on GOG in case you don't want to use Steam. It's in their interest to force you to go through Steam. Ubisoft is doing the same thing, forcing you to use Uplay. If someone chooses to buy the game through Steam anyway, knowing that, they are opting-in to using two clients, not being forced to. It's a Uplay game, end of story.

The problem isn't Ubisoft wanting to use their own client, the problem is their client sucks.

Even if their client was awesome, it would be an asinine practice. If I chose to buy the game through Steam (either because of better prices or because I simply like the flavor of Gaben's cock) then it can be assumed I don't want the "enhanced experience" from Uplay. And since Steam can confirm I bought a legal copy, then Uplay becomes pointless as "DRM" as well. If I don't want nor need the client, why the hell is it there? I already bought your game, why are you making it more complicated for me? Rule #1 of business is to make the customer's life as easy as possible.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Even if their client was awesome, it would be an asinine practice. If I chose to buy the game through Steam (either because of better prices or because I simply like the flavor of Gaben's cock) then it can be assumed I don't want the "enhanced experience" from Uplay. And since Steam can confirm I bought a legal copy, then Uplay becomes pointless as "DRM" as well. If I don't want nor need the client, why the hell is it there? I already bought your game, why are you making it more complicated for me? Rule #1 of business is to make the customer's life as easy as possible.

Well I want everything on GOG for simple installer files and no bloody client at all, but I don't see Gaben giving me that option any time soon. I'm not saying clients are awesome, I'm saying you can't bash Ubisoft and praise Gaben for doing the same exact thing. That's fanboy logic.

I was talking about the ass-backwards practice of stacking two DRMs on top of each other like a shit sandwich, not praising one DRM method over the other. You could reverse what I said would still be valid.

Alternate Universe Clockwork Knight said:
Even if their client was awesome, it would be an asinine practice. If I chose to buy the game through Uplay (either because of better prices or because I simply like the flavor of Guillemot's cock) then it can be assumed I don't want the "enhanced experience" from Steam. And since Uplay can confirm I bought a legal copy, then Steam becomes pointless as "DRM" as well. If I don't want nor need the client, why the hell is it there? I already bought your game, why are you making it more complicated for me? Rule #1 of business is to make the customer's life as easy as possible.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was talking about the ass-backwards practice of stacking two DRMs on top of each other like a shit sandwich, not praising one DRM method over the other. You could reverse what I said would still be valid.

Yet that only happens if you choose to add a Steam bun to the Uplay meat, as it were. No one forces you to do that, and the cry of "well Ubisoft should stop forcing Uplay!" rings hollow when the mighty Gaben forces Steam. Ubisoft just have less balls than EA do and don't want to cut Steam customers out, so they let you add one DRM on top of another if you're that eager to suck Gaben's cock.

Again the real problem is fixing Uplay so it isn't so shitty. Then people would likely stop complaining about it like they mostly have with Origin.

Turjan

Arcane
The problem with this is that it isn't really showing the game's flaws, merely its bugs. If you want to show the contrast between the reviewer quotes and the actual quality of the game, show us how the gameplay sucks instead.
Yup. As hilariously bad as those bugs are, most of those are easily fixed. Fixing shitty gameplay is much harder, but showing that won't net you any Youtube hits. Instead we get countless videos of always the same things. Not sure how often I have seen the hydrant water going through the car by now.

Turjan

Arcane
No joke, that video has convinced me to buy the game more than any official trailer has. I totally lost my shit at 9/11 survivor.
I'm just afraid that the video pretty much condenses all there is to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom