Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

kain30

Cipher
brother none, i have buyed the steam version. when the game release version go out it will automatically update no?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So on GOG... what version is the one Kickstarter backers after all? When I claimed the key it had all the rewards for the deluxe edition listed, but was called "digital classic". Now there's only a few rewards left. However, if I go to the W2 page on gog it shows as "Deluxe" and it says I own it...
GOG has some weird listings but the versions are the same as Steam. If you're due digital deluxe ($50 and up) you get Digital Deluxe, if you're a basic version ($15 tier) you get just a game key. That's for the primary, first key. Extra keys are always game-only.

brother none, i have buyed the steam version. when the game release version go out it will automatically update no?
Yeah, install it and it'll update on release.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2829&p=118867#p118810

Lead Animator Josh Jertberg said:
There were a couple creatures that didn't make it into the game, such as the car crabs. They had some cool animations.
Couple NPC types never made it either. Its ok though just like when you see deleted scenes from movies you can understand the final product didn't need them.

One major thing was the concept of adding animation sets that affected your characters and showed some personality quirks, such as guy with a limp, nervous, overconfident...stuff like that. It just became too much to manage on a technical level and I am the only animator so it was a tall order.

:negative:

ya... it was kind of risky adding that footage. Whats going on is when there is a sharp change of direction they do a "quick turn" its all still in development and honestly in the final game I hope to have special animation states designed to handle stairs in a more natural way. The interesting thing about Torments animation is its non deterministic... its organic. Each time you go up those stairs for example, it will be just a little different depending on the angle of approach etc.

The animation systems for wasteland 2 and Torment are wildly different and not easily compatible. If we get a chance to do WL3 I can promise you that I will take what I have learned in WL2 and do my best to up my game big time. Rest assured I have a vision for how I would like WL3 to look.

Guys, why can I play the game right now? Is this some beta build that will update with the launch at midnight?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_access

Welcome to 2013

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, I got the deluxe key and everything seemed alright even though it was called classic on my shelf, but now a lot of the rewards disappeared. Maybe it's a temporary issue...
But, will the rewards be available in the Ranger Center as well?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, I got the deluxe key and everything seemed alright even though it was called classic on my shelf, but now a lot of the rewards disappeared. Maybe it's a temporary issue...
But, will the rewards be available in the Ranger Center as well?
I noticed this too and spoke with GOG.com's guys. Please click this link to update your account: https://af.gog.com/account/refresh?as=1649904300

The game title will now be Wasteland 2 across all packages but you can still see which one you have based on your extras.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
https://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2829&p=118867#p118810

There were a couple creatures that didn't make it into the game, such as the car crabs. They had some cool animations.
Couple NPC types never made it either. Its ok though just like when you see deleted scenes from movies you can understand the final product didn't need them.

One major thing was the concept of adding animation sets that affected your characters and showed some personality quirks, such as guy with a limp, nervous, overconfident...stuff like that. It just became too much to manage on a technical level and I am the only animator so it was a tall order.

:negative:

ya... it was kind of risky adding that footage. Whats going on is when there is a sharp change of direction they do a "quick turn" its all still in development and honestly in the final game I hope to have special animation states designed to handle stairs in a more natural way. The interesting thing about Torments animation is its non deterministic... its organic. Each time you go up those stairs for example, it will be just a little different depending on the angle of approach etc.

The animation systems for wasteland 2 and Torment are wildly different and not easily compatible. If we get a chance to do WL3 I can promise you that I will take what I have learned in WL2 and do my best to up my game big time. Rest assured I have a vision for how I would like WL3 to look.

Guys, why can I play the game right now? Is this some beta build that will update with the launch at midnight?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_access

Welcome to 2013
I was asking because I thought that maybe they will do it in a way that they will allow you to download and install the full game and just make it so you cant hit "Play" until the launch. No need to be snarky, I know what early access is and that is why I asked if this version is the early access beta.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
2zexmb6.jpg

Wooooo!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
sea, what about the "Portrait Pack" in the $30 tier?
That'll be on the Ranger Center site on the Rewards page, upon release. Same for the backer skill details. The Portrait Pack you extract to your custom portraits folder, the Backer Skill is unlocked with a code you use in the game.

Alchemist

Arcane
FYI guys, I have created a backer support FAQ here (needs login). The formatting is a bit messed right now (curse you MS Word!) but if you have any backer-related questions, this should cover the vast majority of them: https://rangercenter.inxile-entertainment.com/faq
Thanks for keeping us updated and putting that FAQ together. I know you must be really busy about now. I do see one confusing discrepancy in the FAQ. It says the $30 tier only has the 2 Wasteland games and the soundtrack - none of the other digital extras (like the concept art book and novellas). I pledged at $30 on the Kickstarter and it says this in my rewards area:
jcqIUDy.png

I looked at my Steam copy (claimed during beta) and I appear to own the Digital Deluxe edition (which the FAQ says is for $50+ tiers). I'm not complaining, just thought it might be worth clarifying the FAQ a bit about that.

Diablo169

Arcane
Just realized I have a spare Wasteland 2 key from the crazy amount of money I gave to Obsidian for Eternity. Do any of the staff / mods or one of the more awesome posters here not a key for launch tomorrow?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Just realized I have a spare Wasteland 2 key from the crazy amount of money I gave to Obsidian for Eternity. Do any of the staff / mods or one of the more awesome posters here not a key for launch tomorrow?
Need one right here.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
FYI guys, I have created a backer support FAQ here (needs login). The formatting is a bit messed right now (curse you MS Word!) but if you have any backer-related questions, this should cover the vast majority of them: https://rangercenter.inxile-entertainment.com/faq
Thanks for keeping us updated and putting that FAQ together. I know you must be really busy about now. I do see one confusing discrepancy in the FAQ. It says the $30 tier only has the 2 Wasteland games and the soundtrack - none of the other digital extras (like the concept art book and novellas). I pledged at $30 on the Kickstarter and it says this in my rewards area:

I looked at my Steam copy (claimed during beta) and I appear to own the Digital Deluxe edition (which the FAQ says is for $50+ tiers). I'm not complaining, just thought it might be worth clarifying the FAQ a bit about that.
Not all rewards go through Steam and that text might be slightly out of date. The FAQ should be correct.

The Steam store page will be updated on release so don't read too much into the title...

Alchemist

Arcane

Not all rewards go through Steam and that text might be slightly out of date. The FAQ should be correct.

The Steam store page will be updated on release so don't read too much into the title...
So if the FAQ is correct, that means people at $30 will get less stuff than what they pledged for? For example no concept art book, even though the Kickstarter promised that to the $30 tier?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So if the FAQ is correct, that means people at $30 will get less stuff than what they pledged for? For example no concept art book, even though the Kickstarter promised that to the $30 tier?
Hmm I'll need to check the FAQ again... concept art book should be in. Might be an oversight by me. Sorry 'bout that.

Alchemist

Arcane
Hmm I'll need to check the FAQ again... concept art book should be in. Might be an oversight by me. Sorry 'bout that.
No problem - thanks for checking into it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom