Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land - released on PC

COCTWL.jpg

I just found about this and thought some of you guys may be interested on it.

Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land is a turn-based strategy/role-playing video game based on the award winning Call of Cthulhu RPG. Set in the midst of World War One, the game pits a team of investigators and soldiers against an ancient enemy, older than humanity itself, who is using the carnage of the great war to build an undead army deep beneath the battlefields of Europe.

The game will come out in january for iPhone, iPod Touch & Android. Later they will be doing some other platforms, including PC.

Click here for the developer's blog and stuffies.

And some screenies.

callofcthulhu_wastedland_hd_03.png

callofcthulhu_wastedland_hd_02.png

callofcthulhu_wastedland_hd_05.png

MMXI

Arcane
I see numbers. I see "turn-based". That's an automatic :incline:.

Mortmal

Arcane
Interested yes, but i dont see much info about the gameplay , the video is nice on their site , but no action. At least there stats, and gun skills, and sanity seems to be accounted for. I wish they used good old bitmap graphics rather than low poly count 3D, stuff like jagged allaince or fallout although dated looked better than this, i am worried on how that will render on a huge pc screen.

MMXI

Arcane
Two complaints:

1) It's too zoomed in. I hope the PC version is zoomed out a hell of a lot more.
2) A perspective projection is retarded in a tactical game played from above. The characters at the top of the screen are seen from the side, while the characters at the bottom of the screen are seen from above.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Very shitty art direction but the numbers might come to the rescue. Will try out.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
KKK slut detected.

But seriously, bad presentation in a game can kill it. A tactical game that zoomed in, with character distinction that poor, can be a real pain in the ass to play.

MMXI

Arcane
Skittles said:
But seriously, bad presentation in a game can kill it. A tactical game that zoomed in, with character distinction that poor, can be a real pain in the ass to play.
As I mentioned in my second post. None of that has much to do with art direction though.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Yeah, brown on brown on brown is art direction and it's just as much a pain in the ass. I assume that playing the game you get a little better used to it, but it took me more than ten seconds to see that there was more than a guy in a turban and yellow bars on the screen. I didn't even see the tentacles the first time around. That's art direction, isn't it?

bhlaab

Erudite
Looks like it's going to be combat focused which is a bit of a waste of the cthulu setting

oscar

Arcane
Only two possibly non-combat skills and a weirdly zoomed in perspective don't seem too good but Tactical Turn Based + Cthulhu + Great War seem hard to go wrong with.

lightbane

Arcane
Considering that we're starving for Cthulhu games (barring that mediocre Cthulhu saves the world), I don't mind if the game focuses only on combat, more so if it's turnbased. I'll wait for the PC version.

Excidium said:
I'd say it's to send messages and stuff, but it's in the weapon slot, so...

:lol:

oscar said:
Only two possibly non-combat skills

I'm kind of reading Cthulhu Mythos as Magick and Psychoanalysis as first aid for Sanity, maybe with a bit of magickal resistance and a couple of dialogue checks thrown in for flavour.

bhlaab said:
Looks like it's going to be combat focused which is a bit of a waste of the cthulu setting

It does seems kind of a waste of the Cthulhu Mythos, but then I always thought it to be really incompatible with role playing games so I don't really know.

Though now that I think of it the plot sounds kind of reminisced of this.

Flatlander

Liturgist
Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land is a turn-based strategy/role-playing video game based on the award winning Call of Cthulhu RPG. Set in the midst of World War One, the game pits a team of investigators and soldiers against an ancient enemy, older than humanity itself, who is using the carnage of the great war to build an undead army deep beneath the battlefields of Europe.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
The game will come out in january for iPhone
:rage:

Yeah. Not really sure what to think of this. The 3d view looks annoying and the "turn-based" could really mean anything these days... although it does look like a real deal. We'll see. Nice to have an Android version too for a change, though.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
From the people that brought you:

Cutthroats (PC)
Abomination (PC)
Who Wants to be a Millionaire? (PS1, Dreamcast, PC)
Conflict: Desert Storm (1 and 2, PS2, PC, xbox & Gamecube)
The Great Escape (PS2, PC, xbox)
Conflict:Vietnam (PS2, PC, xbox)

:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom