Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Video Game Music Thread

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver was and still is the best videogame ever made.

Here's the main theme:

The whole STALKER series I like too:

And now for something a little different.

On a whim, I looked up "Video Game Music Quiz" on YouTube and found a bunch of videos which all seem to be Nintendo/console circlejerks.

Eventually I did find the one I'm linking below. 60 music tracks, each track being given 30 seconds. Try to guess as many as possible, you get 1 point for a fully correct answer, and half a point for the right game series/franchise.

Pros? A decent balance between PC and console tracks.

Cons? A clear Finnish bias, as at least three tracks come from Finnish games (of which two I had never heard of) as well as there being at least one game with a Finnish composer. The tracks also gravitate heavily towards the 1990s, so keep that in mind.

Anyway, I scored 30/60, see how well you do.

Believe it or not, I got the exact same score. 30/60 but I fucked up, I should have gotten the
Chrono Trigger
point, I was playing that yesterday! Was fun, thanks for the link. I think the most fun was reading my notes after I took the test, I wrote down silly stuff for the games I didn't know or didn't remember like "amiga something crazy euros" or "pc game strategy prob turn based"

Axe Father

Savant
My favourite pinball game is Necronomicon on the Sega Saturn. It has a high energy metal soundtrack that really ups the adrenaline and draws you into the action of smacking tiny metal balls with plastic flippers. John Petrucci of Dream Theater did nice opening and epilogue tracks, but the ingame music doesn't slouch either:

dunno lah

Arcane

YT Comment from Alex Brandon: Alianger, it IS heavily influenced by Thunder Force 3. While not a straight rip of course (the melodic composition and chorus are different) it's essentially a remix of that tune using very similar instrumentation.

The Fish

Arcane
Some tracks from Seiken Densetsu 3 are good

Axelay:

I couldn't find f-zero: mute city in this thread.

or earthbound oddly enough. I assume it's here but whatever.

Last edited:

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This music from The Witcher 3...

... sounds very much like this one from The Witcher 1.

Both are extremely atmospheric.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom