Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
November Hardware Survey means even more Chinese: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Simplified Chinese
64.35%

+8.23%

trans.gif

English
17.02%
-4.25%

trans.gif

Russian
5.11%
-1.40%

trans.gif

Korean
2.36%
+0.19%

trans.gif

Spanish
2.09%
-0.49%

I wonder how this will change again when Tencent's PUBG goes live.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
In last week's top sellers (by revenues, not counting microtransactions), PUBG doesn't know the meaning of Autumn Sale and still #1 without any discount. Do you remember when PUBG was not #1?:

#10 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
#9 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
#8 - Assassin's Creed Origins
#7 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
#6 - NieR:Automata
#5 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
#4 - Steam Controller
#3 - Steam Link
#2 - Grand Theft Auto V
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

10% discount on D:OS 2 did a find job it seems.

#10 - NieR:Automata
#9 - Sid Meier’s Civilization VI
#8 - Sid Meier’s Civilization VI
#7 - Divinity: Original Sin 2
#6 - Assassin's Creed Origins
#5 - Call of Duty: WWII
#4 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
#3 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
#2 - Grand Theft Auto V

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1464096684955433613

Steam is no longer supporting Bitcoin

As of today, Steam will no longer support Bitcoin as a payment method on our platform due to high fees and volatility in the value of Bitcoin.

In the past few months we've seen an increase in the volatility in the value of Bitcoin and a significant increase in the fees to process transactions on the Bitcoin network. For example, transaction fees that are charged to the customer by the Bitcoin network have skyrocketed this year, topping out at close to $20 a transaction last week (compared to roughly $0.20 when we initially enabled Bitcoin). Unfortunately, Valve has no control over the amount of the fee. These fees result in unreasonably high costs for purchasing games when paying with Bitcoin. The high transaction fees cause even greater problems when the value of Bitcoin itself drops dramatically.

Historically, the value of Bitcoin has been volatile, but the degree of volatility has become extreme in the last few months, losing as much as 25% in value over a period of days. This creates a problem for customers trying to purchase games with Bitcoin. When checking out on Steam, a customer will transfer x amount of Bitcoin for the cost of the game, plus y amount of Bitcoin to cover the transaction fee charged by the Bitcoin network. The value of Bitcoin is only guaranteed for a certain period of time so if the transaction doesn’t complete within that window of time, then the amount of Bitcoin needed to cover the transaction can change. The amount it can change has been increasing recently to a point where it can be significantly different.

The normal resolution for this is to either refund the original payment to the user, or ask the user to transfer additional funds to cover the remaining balance. In both these cases, the user is hit with the Bitcoin network transaction fee again. This year, we’ve seen increasing number of customers get into this state. With the transaction fee being so high right now, it is not feasible to refund or ask the customer to transfer the missing balance (which itself runs the risk of underpayment again, depending on how much the value of Bitcoin changes while the Bitcoin network processes the additional transfer).

At this point, it has become untenable to support Bitcoin as a payment option. We may re-evaluate whether Bitcoin makes sense for us and for the Steam community at a later date.

We will continue working to resolve any pending issues for customers who are impacted by existing underpayments or transaction fees.

-- The Steam Team

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1475356649450732547

Platform-specific wishlisting

We have made changes to the wishlist aiming to improve developers' visibility of any interest in their title coming from Steam users playing on platforms they're not currently targeting.

If a user only has one platform filter selected in their Steam store preferences, adding a game to their wishlist will result in it being specially reported to the developer in a new platform-specific breakdown of the wishlist report:

d42d115644dc81cf602ad2e92493a53b7fb67e8a.png

b3935377214c0fa4482d88f433cf7b43ae6432b8.png

If you want to signal your interest in a given title becoming available for your platform of choice, just make sure your store preferences are set appropriately and wishlist away!

ciox

Liturgist
I like that they used a realistic depiction of OS usage among gamers for the promo pic.

gaussgunner

Arcane
How many megastores have to drop Bitcoin support before it drops from $15,000 to $0.0001?

Man, I could've made millions if I'd bought into that hype a few years ago.. as long as I didn't use the exchanges and wallets that got cleaned out by hackers.. :lol:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Well I hope this doesn't crash my plan to track the change of Chinese D:OS owners after localization.

Don Peste

Arcane
I've known a couple of cases (small indie games) where SteamSpy numbers are completely wrong (numbers much higher than reality). Has the owner explained how the "error rate" (so to speak) works?

Modron

Arcane
I've known a couple of cases (small indie games) where SteamSpy numbers are completely wrong (numbers much higher than reality). Has the owner explained how the "error rate" (so to speak) works?
He said it doesn't reach any kind of real accuracy until around 30k+ sales is hit, everything under that and the estimate can be quite incorrect.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/12/08/valve-has-silently-launched-steams-curator-connect-feature

Valve Has Silently Launched Steam's Curator Connect Feature
By Rich Stanton on 08 Dec 2017 at 3:39PM

Back in October Valve announced a multi-part overhaul of Steam's curator system, aiming to solve some of the issues faced by both players and developers. One of the more major changes is Curator Connect, which takes aim at the widespread problem of key-scamming – whereby nasty types pretend to be YouTubers, streamers or journalists (i.e. popular curators) and get hold of game keys, which are then re-sold. Essentially it's about creating a more direct channel between developers and curators and thereby, hopefully, squishing the scammers.

The feature has been in a closed beta for many weeks, but this morning appears to have been pushed out to all Steam developers – after an initial tip, we confirmed with two other developers who now have access. While the backend of it is only available to Steam developers and curators, us punters will start to see a difference too, as the Steam store more widely displays recommendations from curators that you might like. Yes, that does sound a bit questionable – but it also addresses the issue faced by smaller curators, who under the current system are buried somewhere in the store's nether regions, and rarely seen by many players.

The change will also let curators embed videos, collect together their reviews in groups (e.g. 'my favourite FPS games' but more interesting), personalise their home page a little more, and access more data about people who are following their recommendations (in the sense of, 'how many people take my recommendations seriously enough to splash out?').

For developers this should make it easier to find specific curators, the ones who might like your style of game, by applying various criteria through the 'tags' applied to any given game – then the developer will also be able to see that curator's actual reach and any linked social accounts. The biggest change, though, is that after this the developer will be able to send game keys direct through Steam to that account, alongside a short sales pitch. If it works as planned, this will certainly make life tougher for the fakers, and good riddance.

I asked our tipster what they thought of the changes, after they'd had a chance to fiddle around: "I believe it will help a lot because it makes it easier to possibly reach more users directly on Steam. The only thing I'm missing so far or can not see in the system, is a way for the curators to contact us developers (for feedback for example). It's pretty much a one way street where you send out your keys with a message and then hope. I can see if a request gets accepted and if a review has been written, but that's it."

Over the years Steam has grown into a monopoly position over the PC games market, and so any change to it is big news for everyone. Valve gets a lot of criticism for features that aren't as good as they should be, and rightly so, but you can't say it doesn't try to solve problems. The effectiveness of these changes will have to be judged over the coming weeks and months, but we'll be keeping an eye on how it affects the Steam experience for normal users as well as the industry types.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
10% discount on D:OS 2 did a find job it seems.

#10 - NieR:Automata
#9 - Sid Meier’s Civilization VI
#8 - Sid Meier’s Civilization VI
#7 - Divinity: Original Sin 2
#6 - Assassin's Creed Origins
#5 - Call of Duty: WWII
#4 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
#3 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
#2 - Grand Theft Auto V

In last week's top sellers (by revenues, not counting microtransactions), Spellforce 3 did fine:

#10 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege - Year 2 Pass
#9 - Divinity: Original Sin 2
#8 - Nioh: Complete Edition
#7 - Call of Duty: WWII
#6 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
#5 - Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy
#4 - Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Italia
#3 - SpellForce 3
#2 - Grand Theft Auto V

Also D:OS 2 is still there. It was part of The Game Awards nominee sale.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Valve blog post about the recent curator update: http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1474230749522680886

You may like RPG Watch's focus on selecting just well-made role-playing games

:killit:

Curating Steam - Major Update to Steam Curators to Help Discovery on Steam

After testing in a small beta for the past couple of weeks, we're releasing the latest update to the Steam Curators system today, which includes a bunch of improvements for players, curators, and game developers.

In short: We've made it easier to find and follow Steam Curators that you know and trust, we've provided Curators with more ways to improve your Steam shopping experience, and we've built better tools for developers to connect with the right Steam Curators. You can see a summary of the new features highlighted on the Steam Curator Update Announcement page. Read on for a more detailed look at why we think Steam Curators are important and why you'll now find it even more beneficial to follow a Steam Curator or two.

Why Steam Curators?
The goal of the Steam Curator system is to give you options for the individuals and organizations that can curate your Steam shopping experience. There are already people you probably look to for advice on which games are worth your time and money, such as YouTubers, journalists, streamers, or online communities. We've built Steam Curators to be a place where those voices and tastes can directly improve your shopping experience by influencing which games you'll see and what other information about games you can find. For example, you may appreciate the in-depth reviews provided by PC Gamer or the video reviews recorded by Extra Credits. You may like RPG Watch's focus on selecting just well-made role-playing games or you may appreciate Framerate Police's advice as to which games are locked to 30fps and how to unlock them. Or, like us, you might enjoy the humorous-yet-short reviews by Critiquing Doge. There are Steam Curators that cover just about every kind of game imaginable and in every language possible on Steam.

Whatever your tastes, and whatever language you speak, you can probably find a few great Steam Curators to curate your Steam shopping experience.

Why Follow A Curator?
By following a few Curators on Steam, you'll not only start to see their recommendations appear prominently when browsing the Steam Store (such as at the top of your home page and at the top of tag and genre pages), but you can also explore each of their customized spaces within Steam and see all the titles they have reviewed. For example, we've built some new tools for Curators to create lists of games and then pick which lists to feature on their page. Some Steam Curators produce video reviews of the games they play, and now you'll start seeing those videos displayed right within Steam.

What Else?
In addition to a bunch of improvements for players that follow a few Curators, we've been hard at work making the system work better for Steam Curators themselves as well as game developers looking to connect with Curators. We've given Curators more ways to customize their page on Steam and more information about how players are impacted by their reviews. We've also introduced a whole new system called Curator Connect that provides game developers with a way of sending review copies of their game directly to Curators within Steam.

Available Today
Check out the Steam Curator Update Announcement page to learn more about today's update. These updates are available now, and we'll be continuing work on Steam Curators with your feedback and input.

As always, if you have any feedback or suggestions, please let us know.

-The Steam Team

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting: http://store.steampowered.com/news/35534/

General
  • New feature: Shader Pre-Caching. Whenever possible, depending on hardware and driver support, Steam can download pre-compiled shaders for your specific video card. This reduces load times and in-game stuttering during the first few launches of OpenGL- and Vulkan-based games on supported hardware. This feature may use a small amount of additional bandwidth as Steam uploads and analyzes a shader usage report after each run of the game. The feature can be disabled via a new entry in the Settings dialog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom