Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Sentinel

Arcane
It is almost identical. I use browser more often than the client. I sure hope they'll making a new version of it though, some of the things are outdated.
They're remaking the Steam Client.
When?
How the fuck should I know? This is Valve. Could be tomorrow, could be in 2 years. They said it in the Steam Dev Days IIRC. just google it.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

Sentinel

Arcane
It is almost identical. I use browser more often than the client. I sure hope they'll making a new version of it though, some of the things are outdated.
They're remaking the Steam Client.
When?
How the fuck should I know? This is Valve. Could be tomorrow, could be in 2 years. They said it in the Steam Dev Days IIRC. just google it.
Why?
How?

passerby

Arcane
I dread the day when they release it.

The slick list on the left with tiny icons and expandable user defined categories will be gone probably and we will be left only with huge touch friendly tiles and search by tag like every other client.

I'll completely loose a track of the games I have.

Boleskine

Arcane
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-number-of-games-published-on-steam-could-top-5000-this-yearthe-most-ever/

The number of games released on Steam could top 5,000 in 2017—the most ever in a single year

By Samuel Horti 5 hours ago

More games released so far this year than in the whole of 2015

E3P7T3z6DCwXue7EfVjnbZ-650-80.jpg

It's no wonder your Steam backlog keeps growing: the platform is releasing more games than ever before. According to analyst Daniel Ahmad, of Niko Partners, the number of games released on the platform so far this year has already surpassed the total for the whole of 2015.

Around 1,300 games have popped up since June's launch of Steam Direct, the replacement for Steam Greenlight that lets developers publish on Steam without passing through an approval process. If that pace carries on then the number of games released this year could top 5,000 for the first time.

That would mean there were more games released this year on Steam than in the eight years between 2006 and 2014. Pretty staggering.

I'm split on whether that's a good or bad thing. It means that a lot of dross gets through the net, and it can make it harder for the best titles to stand out in the growing crowd. But it also allows users to buy some real gems that may not have made it through Steam Greenlight, which saw users vote on titles that should be published. What do you think?

Cheers, PCGamesN.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Last week's top sellers (by revenues, not counting microtransactions) are not entirely boring, a bit inclined even, except #1 of course:

#10 - Divinity: Original Sin 2
#9 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
#8 - XCOM 2
#7 - The Escapists 2
#6 - Grand Theft Auto V
#5 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
#4 - Absolver
#3 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
#2 - XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

Last week's top sellers (by revenues, not counting microtransactions):

#10 - Life is Strange: Before the Storm
#9 - Arma 3
#8 - H1Z1: King of the Kill
#7 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege - Year 2 Pass
#6 - Grand Theft Auto V
#4 - Divinity: Original Sin 2
#3 - XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
#2 - NieR:Automata

ACzZYa0.png

Sentinel

Arcane
Honestly don't really care about the number of Steam releases. I see no reason for Gaben to dictate what I should or should not buy. Don't like it just filter it out.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
PUBG is the king now: http://www.pcgamer.com/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-beats-dota-2s-highest-concurrent-player-record/

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds beats Dota 2's highest concurrent player record
It's the highest on Steam, with 1.3 million playing right now.

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds’ unstoppable rise continues, with the game hitting yet another milestone today. The massively popular battle royale shooter has now broken Dota 2’s record for highest concurrent player count on Steam.

Yes, Dota 2’s 1.29 million record has been shattered, with PUBG hitting 1.3 million concurrent players. That’s the most people playing at the same time any game on Steam has boasted.

This is even more impressive given that PUBG is still in Early Access, and the previous record holder is a free-to-play game developed by Valve.

SteamSpy was charting the game’s growth, and spotted the moment when it beat Dota 2’s record today. The number continues to rise, however, with Steamcharts showing a peak of 1,305,536.

The number might continue to rise, though, as more people jump in to see the new update. The September update adds a new town on the east coast, and more importantly, foggy weather. This new weather has a low probability to occur, but when it does, it changes the game entirely. You can barely see in front of you, so the already tense game becomes even more nerve-racking.

Are you one of the 1.3 million?

According to SteamSpy 11.2 million owns this game and 8.7 million played it last 2 weeks.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

#10 - Life is Strange: Before the Storm
#9 - Arma 3
#8 - H1Z1: King of the Kill
#7 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege - Year 2 Pass
#6 - Grand Theft Auto V
#4 - Divinity: Original Sin 2
#3 - XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
#2 - NieR:Automata

ACzZYa0.png

#10 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition - go home Todd you've sold enough Skyrim here
#9 - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
#8 - NieR:Automata
#7 - XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
#6 - Grand Theft Auto V
#5 - DARK SOULS™ III
#4 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
#3 - NBA 2K18
#2 - Divinity: Original Sin 2
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS -

Latelistener

Arcane
Is pubg a meme gamecor something? It looks shit, in early access, has microtransaction?

Seems like all the idiot moba and casual crowd play that game
My comrade call these games "whirlpools".
They suck in all kinds of toxic shits, and where the relationships between devs and players akin to the relationships between farmers and livestock, but they seem okay with it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is pubg a meme gamecor something? It looks shit, in early access, has microtransaction?

They suck in all kinds of toxic shits, and where the relationships between devs and players akin to the relationships between farmers and livestock, but they seem okay with it.
and i dont understand why people are okay with those. I mean playing games casually, liking casual games like skyrim or angry birds is understandable because people generally dont have tine and more hardcore games have high barrier of entry. Skyrim and angry birds and cod usually dotn have much complex underlying mechanics to grasp and it is easier for people who just want distractions in their spare time.

What i dont understand is how people is okay eith the constant lootboxes, microtransanction, on disk dlc, day one dlc and all other bullshit designed to suck money off you.NNit to mention toxic attitude by developer and publisher that treat customers like livestock. There are vocal minority that rally against this, but the fact is money keep flowing and devs dont even care anymore because people keep buying.

Just reinforced my view that most people are idiot sheep.

Latelistener

Arcane
What i dont understand is how people is okay eith the constant lootboxes, microtransanction, on disk dlc, day one dlc and all other bullshit designed to suck money off you.NNit to mention toxic attitude by developer and publisher that treat customers like livestock. There are vocal minority that rally against this, but the fact is money keep flowing and devs dont even care anymore because people keep buying.
I heard you can actually get enough cases to basically, cover the cost of the game itself. The cheapest price on PUBG is in China, so there are nearly half of them playing it. They love that kind of shit.
That doesn't mean I like it though. As I said it's a toxic whirlpool, and the fact that the devs added microtransactions before leaving Early Access (despite the promise not to do so) means that don't give a shit about players at all.

Thane Solus

Arcane

and i dont understand why people are okay with those. I mean playing games casually, liking casual games like skyrim or angry birds is understandable because people generally dont have tine and more hardcore games have high barrier of entry. Skyrim and angry birds and cod usually dotn have much complex underlying mechanics to grasp and it is easier for people who just want distractions in their spare time.

Just reinforced my view that most people are idiot sheep.

Bingo!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom