Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Or stage the payments like a big commercial project: 25% up front, 25% after beta complete, and since the incentives are skewed, 50% upon final delivery.

And backers have to individually send their share of each payment, if they approve, so developers better keep their promises if they want all the money.
So a kickstarter project will have to ask for at least twice as much as they need for development, since they only get 50% while they're actually working on the game? 25% while for the biggest part of the development cycle...

Quite possibly the dumbest idea so far this century.

Exactly. Ask for twice what you think you need. Or quadruple. Because it always costs a lot more than you think.
EDIT: Citation - Fred Brooks, The Mythical Man Month.

I'll tell you what's dumb: giving developers all the money up front and expecting them to finish the project as agreed.
So with your system they'd have to ask for 10 times what they think they need, to account for both cost overruns and not getting paid after completion?
I don't think many kickstarters will get funded that way, but at least the ones that do will give massive profits to the devs.

gaussgunner

Arcane
So with your system they'd have to ask for 10 times what they think they need, to account for both cost overruns and not getting paid after completion?
I don't think many kickstarters will get funded that way, but at least the ones that do will give massive profits to the devs.

Neither do I. No more stunts like PoE, Numanuma, Broken Age, whatever. Instead of getting $2M up front they'd get 500k and fizzle out and only raise 50k on their next kickstarter.

Or they could be responsible, make cuts as needed, and release a beta on time. Then get ~300k from backers who aren't butthurt about the cuts, and maybe another ~500k from new backers in round 2. Finish the game, polish it up, and get up to 2M (but probably more like 1M) as a reward to use for marketing, bonuses, and to get their next game started.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
That sounds like way too much effort for the backers. I think most of us prefer to just toss $20 at a developer and hope for the best instead of having to evaluate milestones etc. like it's a fucking job.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Yeah, maybe. Kickstarter is already too much work for me. I just buy games when they're finished, or maybe 5-10-20 years later.

But obviously Kickstarter is not for people like me. I would think, if they're willing to spend money on vaporware, shill for it, and buy DLC/expansions, then surely they can handle paying in 3 installments.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Finally, now they don't display an overall score unless there are at least certain amount (10 or so) of reviews.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Apparently Half-Life 2 EP 1 & EP2's map source files are "leaked" and people are digging them:

Looke like the cancelled EP3 by Warren Spector's Junction Point also featured Ravenholm, but snowy (the gallery title refers EP4 but it's mistype from the uploader.)

Cancelled EP4 (by Arkane Studios) also was supposed to set in Ravenholm. Did people really THAT much liked Ravenholm?

DramaticPopcorn

Apart from atmosphere, it's memorable for practical and non-gimmicky use of gravitation gun. It's pretty much a staple of HL2 for better or worse.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Remember when people used to joke Steam is going to start selling movies, anime and VNs? Yeah. I don't personally care, but it's just a bunch of bloat.

15y652b.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Siveon
how the fuck is it old you dumbfuck all of the actual anime titles are released today.

It's old in the sense that Steam has been selling movies and tv series for a long time now.
Yup.

EDIT: Also, some anime was sold before this deal. Though I couldn't remember what they were.

VIZ Media and some others has been selling anime (Naruto, Inuyasha, and others) from last year (I think), but they're mostly only available in US and Canada.

Crunchyroll is a new anime distributor today. I see they're selling them in most regions except Asia and Russia.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So apparently anime is now on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&tags=4085&category1=992

:desu::australia::hero::thumbsup:

Siveon
how the fuck is it old you dumbfuck all of the actual anime titles are released today.

I saw this myself, there are several things about it I don't like though.

1) First of all it's Crunchyroll, so the video is at best upscaled 720p, plus anything somewhat gorey or racey is going to be censored (because it was in the japanese broadcast; gotta sell those blurays!)
If you've ever watched a HorribleSubs release of an animu, those are ripped straight off crunchyroll.
2) It's streaming video - I prefer having local copies for my own amusement - though my internet's more than fast enough to handle 10 simultaneous streams
3) The steam FAQ on the subject mentions "rentals" - eg, you only have 30 days to watch them before they're removed from your library.
Considering how dirt cheap this is (a physical copy for these would easily set me back 8x as much if not more), I'm a bit worried this applies, even if there's nothing on the individual pages to suggest this.

pippin

I've never tried crunchyroll, but apparentlytheir deals are "region locked", because I've always seen americans and europeans complaining that south american crunchyroll gets more and better stuff than them.

Gerrard

Arcane
You forgot to mention their shitty meme subs. And you can both rent and/or buy them.
Also I noticed the GitS SAC ones are not full seasons. :decline:

garren

Arcane
Patron
Ha. I wouldn't mind buying a few anime shows I like if they're 1080p, you can download them on your machine to watch later and uncensored of course, without any extra DRM bits or shit like that. Of course that will never happen so fuck em.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm: https://www.pcgamesn.com/valve-totalbiscuit-jim-sterling

Valve invite YouTubers TotalBiscuit and Jim Sterling to discuss Steam’s future

steam%20logo%201_0.jpg

Both James Stanton, aka Jim Sterling, and John Bain, aka TotalBiscuit, have been to Valve HQ to discuss the future of Steam as a retail platform. During these talks, they spoke to Valve about the storefront, Steam Curation, and future features that could possibly be implemented.

According to TotalBiscuit, this consultation covered “curation, scam games, discovery and more”. The discussions also were not bound by a non-disclosure agreement, so more details should be coming in the next few days.

These so-called “scam games” are when a developer pumps a high volume of low quality content onto the platform. Sterling was likely chosen because of his experiences with Digital Homicide, a games company accused of using this practise who unsuccessfully attempted to sue the YouTuber recently.

Hopefully Valve also lend an ear to developers, as they are the ones who any future decisions will affect the most. As the voice of the gaming community, Sterling and Biscuit are probably decent choices, however. They’ll no doubt generate some good publicity for Valve off the back of the visit, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom