Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

HansDampf

Arcane
What a boring list of games. And I thought the "Test of Time" award was meant for old games. Too many kids voting?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The “Test of Time" Award with some game with "HD" in title is pure bullshit.
Also - Animals award and no Arcanum? what a waste of time

Riskbreaker

Oh my, and we joked about Skyrim winning the "Test of Time" one. We joked, but one must never underestimate Glorious PC Hamsterrace.
:negative:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm actually surprised to find that two of my votes ("5 more minutes" and "Best use of a farm animal") made it to the finals.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I voted for Rimworld to win the "Relationship Simulator" award under the "we didn't think of everything" category.
Unfortunately it didn't make it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And the Test of Time award goes to...

http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwards/

dDNENXb.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
My vote called in the winner for "Villain Most in Need of a Hug" and "Best Use of a Farm Animal", even though I pretty much randomized the votes for almost every category. (Of those two, I only called "Best Use of a Farm Animal" well in advance.)

Normally I would celebrate in some minor manner, except seeing what won the other categories made my skin crawl, to the point that I have an announcement to make to Mankind: You're all fucking diseased.

Turjan

Arcane
To no one's surprise, People voted on popularity, not category.
People vote for what they know *shrug*.

Which is as predictable as it is boring. It fits the mood that the presentation of the awards is similarly "exciting".

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Now Steam is publishing "The Top 100 Best Sellers of 2016", sorting the titles into Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze categories according to revenue.

I don't own a single game in the Platinum category (out of 12).
I only have TF2 in the Gold category (out of 12).
I only have Subnautica in the Silver category (out of 16).
I have 6 titles in the Bronze category.

Either I'm really bad at picking the winners, or I just don't give a shit anymore.

Turjan

Arcane
Either I'm really bad at picking the winners, or I just don't give a shit anymore.
Or you just wait for a sale? At least I rarely buy stuff at full price.

I have Dota 2 in the Platinum range, but that one was (and is) free and from years ago.
I have none in the Gold range, four in Silver, thirteen in Bronze, mostly older games.
I have a few games from all categories elsewhere.

But really, why should I like and buy all the games on that list? I'll never play CS:GO, no matter how good or bad it is. I'm mildly curious about Dark Souls III and GTA V, but not €30 curious. There's no way I would play all of that anyway, even if I got all those games for free.

Edit: Funny that Dishonored 2 only made the Bronze category.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
No Man's Sky is in their Platinum selection :lol:
Well, the games are sorted according to revenue (not within the respective categories though). And nobody denies that the hype machine surrounding this game made hordes of people part with their cash.

And Makabb found the last game he ever needs in his life!

DramaticPopcorn

Well, the games are sorted according to revenue
can't be true since DOTA's in there. It's either number of installs, regardless of refunds, or it's a promotional page.
Could be a mix of both.

DramaticPopcorn

Well, the games are sorted according to revenue
can't be true since DOTA's in there. It's either number of installs, regardless of refunds, or it's a promotional page.
Could be a mix of both.
You don't think that DOTA is making tons of money from in-game purchases? That's probably how CS:GO got into platinum as well.
Microtransactions or crate gambling aren't exactly sales, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom