Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Valve is encouraging developers to look up on Steam Spy.

Also: http://www.pcgamesn.com/half-life-3/valve-upcoming-games

Valve are making new VR games and will announce them at Steam Dev Days 2017

Will 2017 be the year Valve finally count to three? It could well be, as they've said to expect some big software announcements from the company next year.

Steam Dev Days 2016 was mostly about hardware, but Valve promised during the show that we'd see some big, VR-focused software announcements during next year's show.

When Valve's Greg Coomer took to the stage, he suggested next year wouldn't disappoint software fans.

"Although we're not going to treat Dev Days this year as the place or the time to make big product announcements related to the content that we have in development at Valve for virtual reality, I do think that once it becomes time to do that next year, nobody in this room is going to be disappointed," said Coomer.

So, Half-Life 3 VR, anyone?

Apparently Doug Church is also involved in something VR.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I read that FPS's aren't that good in VR because people get motion sickness. But yeah Portal would probably be ideal. Personally I wish Valve would just make some more games. They seem to be really good at it, maybe because they only do 1 a century... but I would like to see more. I don't really care about more Halflife or more Portal, I already had two of the latter and the corridor shooter has been done to death soooooo much. I would love it of course because they do such a good job of it, but I would prefer to see them make new stuff. They make so much money from Steam I would have thought they would use some of it to fund some really good games. Surely they have a stack of promising ideas piled up?!

I hope they don't put too much into VR because I think it is going to be niche until the next generation. I had the money for one and was waiting patiently, but neither of the headsets seem good enough to me. They are close but I want more so I'll just wait. Also there needs to actually be some games that I would want to play otherwise I would never bother buying one. And I would never play all these glorified iphone and flash games that seem to be what everyone plays on them. I need something like a big RTS or something epic that I would play regularly. I read that things that exist on a flat ish surface like RTS or theme park type games are really good in VR because you can lean in and out and feels immersive.

Caim

Arcane
Personally I think that Portal would fuck you up if you tried to play it in VR. All those portals and stuff will do a number on you.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I read that FPS's aren't that good in VR because people get motion sickness. But yeah Portal would probably be ideal.

I read that things that exist on a flat ish surface like RTS or theme park type games are really good in VR because you can lean in and out and feels immersive.
FPS + themepark then?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-misses...-gambling-regulator-but-says-its-coming-soon/

Valve misses deadline to respond to Washington State gambling regulator, says it's coming soon

Not even the government is immune to Valve Time.

A couple of weeks ago, the Washington State Gambling Commission gave Valveuntil October 14 "to respond and explain" how Steam, and specifically the role it plays in skin gambling, is in compliance with the state's gambling laws. Failure to do so, it warned, could lead to "civil or criminal action" begin taken against the company. This was from an official state agency, so unlike our weekly cat gif email, the request could not be ignored. But this is also Valve we're talking about, and so naturally, the response did not arrive on time.

"At the close of business on October 14, 2016, a representative of Valve Corporation notified Commission staff that the company is still working on a reply to the Commission's Letter and a reply will be provided Monday, October 17, 2016," the WSGC said in a press release put out today.

It almost feels like a gag, doesn't it? Valve can't even respond to an inquiry from a powerful state regulator on time. But unless there are some shenanigans afoot that go beyond even the most elaborate Freeman-based hoax, this is all entirely legit: The link to the release is front-and-center on the official WSGC website.

"I am disappointed that Valve Corporation missed Friday's deadline, but encouraged that they have committed to responding today," WSGC director David Trujillo said. "I look forward to reviewing their response in detail."

Protip for Dave: I look forward to playing Half-Life 3 someday, but I'm not penciling anything in on my calendar. You may have legislative clout on your side, but you can't change the tides. All you can do is learn to swim.

I've reached out to Valve for more information and will update if and when I receive a reply.

Thanks, PvPLive.

ValveTime.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well, they say their employees can work on anything they want to. Who want to respond to government emails?

Also, from a 2013 interview with Jeri Ellsworth (former head of Valve hardware division): http://www.develop-online.net/news/...en-management-clique-like-high-school/0115316

Specifically that includes outreach within the studio in terms of connecting staff together, she says.

"There's all these resources in the business which are just there idling or doing things, maybe they could come and help us - but there was no way to reach them at all."

[...]

Ellsworth implies that Valve's management structure - or lack of - has actually encouraged bad behaviour of a sort from some staff, rewarding those who manage to game the system or avoid risk. Ellsworth implies that Valve's management structure - or lack of - has actually encouraged bad behaviour of a sort from some staff, rewarding those who manage to game the system or avoid risk.

"They have a bonus structure in there where you can get bonuses - if you work on very prestigious projects - that are more than what you earn. So everyone is trying to work on projects that are really visible. 'Look at me, I am making all these great improvements to the latest and greatest video game'.

[...]

"We had a machine shop with millions of dollars of equipment in it and couldn't hire a machinist for $40,000 a year to manufacture machine parts for it. Because they were worried that bringing in a machinist would hurt their precious culture,” she said.

Black

Arcane
Valve can't even figure out how to fix the thing that disables their JA2 owners from posting JA2 reviews.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Valve refuses government request to cut off Steam skin trading
Washington State argues Valve is "facilitating" third-party gambling sites.

Kyle Orland - 10/19/2016, 5:44 PM

This summer, as third-party gambling sites trafficking in Counter-Strike: GO skins began attracting public attention, Valve found itself the subject of two civil lawsuits accusing the company of aiding and abetting illegal gambling schemes. Now, Valve has been put on notice about a possible criminal complaint from the Washington State Gambling Commission (WSGC) for "facilitating" gambling activities through Steam.

In a letter sent to Valve earlier this month, the WSGC argued that third-party sites that let players gamble with their in-game skins are "facilitated within Valve Corporation’s Steam Platform" and that the sites "have Steam accounts and use the Steam platform to conduct their gambling transactions." The commission said it "expects Valve to take whatever actions are necessary to stop third-party websites from using 'skins' for gambling through its Steam Platform system" and said Valve risked "additional civil or criminal action" if it did not comply.

Earlier this week, in a response obtained by TechRaptor, Valve pushed back strongly against the Commission's accusations, arguing that merely providing a system for trading skins through Steam doesn't break any specific law. As it has in the past, Valve pointed out that it does not directly profit from this kind of skin trading, does not promote such third-party sites, and does not let users "cash out" their skins for real money.

"The commission's letter publicly threatens Valve with criminal prosecution for gambling on third-party sites," Valve writes. "We do not understand the legal or factual reasoning supporting this position... if there is a specific criminal statute or regulation you believe Valve is violating, please provide a citation."

Valve's letter seems to implicitly acknowledge that it could cut off third-party gambling altogether if it were willing to turn off Steam's skin-trading capabilities and OpenID authentication system altogether. But the company says it sees no reason to cut off the legitimate uses of those services just to block the illegal actions of outside actors.

"The Commission's main argument seemed to be 'Valve could stop this, so it should," the company writes. "In-game items, Steam trading, and OpenID have substantial benefits for Steam customers and Steam game-making partners. We do not believe it is the Commission's intention, nor is it within the Commission's authority, to turn off lawful commercial and communication services that are not directed to gambling in Washington."

Valve also points to its ongoing efforts to shut down skin gambling sites directly, including sending cease-and-desist letters as well as disabling Steam accounts associated with 40 such sites. While Valve acknowledges that it can't always identify the "cleverly designed bots" that facilitate this kind of gambling, it says it is "happy to cooperate with the Commission if it is able to identify more skin gambling sites."

Valve is in a tough position here. Steam may not directly promote or profit from skin gambling, but it does make money off of a "transaction fee" when users buy skins in the first place. And while plenty of users take part in skin trading for legitimate purposes, the feature does easily allow for illegal uses by outside actors (almost like a Xerox machine, in that way). Legal or not, it's unlikely that this will be the last complaint Valve faces for "facilitating" skin gambling.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
skin gambling sites
This exists? What exactly is it?

Like you play roulette but instead of chips it's skins? Sounds dumb.
Pretty much. The prizes are skins for the various weapons. Some of them are worth quite a lot, but not as much as the various knives you can obtain and sell for three-four digit numbers.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Remember seeing one video with a guy gambling away 100k on this shit. He looked seriously distressed.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Via SteamDB: https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/c...per_at_steam_dev_days_dont_hold_your/d8wq3qs/

I first asked when Source 2 was gonna be released in which he stated that it was with Dota 2, and Destinations. After I had rephrased my question about an actual SDK, that's when he told me about that they're more focused on UGC, and the engine is no where done to be licensed out fully. He concluded that we would have to wait for one of their unannounced projects to be released to "provide what you want to do".

I also asked him why the Source engine is fragmented and he told me that has to do with Source 2 also. He didn't go into any specifics, nor I asked. I also asked Jeep why it was a mess and not structured like it was in the past. Apparently, they are not a fan of preprocessors anymore. However, Tejeev stated that everything will be in-synced with Source 2 products by the end. However, what they say and do are two different things.

The next day, I told Jeep what Tejeev said, along bringing up what Gabe said in 2014 and how I was pretty bummed. In response, Jeep added "Gabe says a lot of things."

So pretty much what I was stating in that tweet was that if you have an idea TODAY, you shouldn't wait for Valve or Source 2.

But that's what Tejeev told me. Maybe he was lying, but he seemed pretty legit, and I have no gain in lying to anyone. But then again, he did tell me that they removed their licencing team, and I saw a few cases going against that claim. Maybe they now pick and choose what projects they want to license. or not. Or that projects must be HL or Portal related to get a license; I don't know!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://www.pcgamesn.com/steam-in-game-screenshots-only
A news post to the SteamWorks developer forums asks developers to ensure that the screenshots on a game's page are actually representative of the final product.
One of the new rules states: "Regardless of the content in your game, please make sure that images uploaded to the 'screenshot' section of you store page are actually screenshots of your game."

That means no artwork, no pre-rendered stills, no screengrabs from trailers - just actual in-game screens captured from the game itself and hopefully without any touching up.

"We haven’t been super crisp on guidelines for screenshots in the past, so we’d like to take this opportunity to clarify some rules in this space," say Valve, via Facepunch. "When the ‘screenshot’ section of a store page is used for images other than screenshots that depict the game, it can make it harder for customers to understand what the product is that they are looking at.

"Additionally, we’re going to start showing game screenshots in more places, and these images need to be able to represent the game. Please show customers what your game is actually like to play."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom