Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, Steam now display top seller chart for your country by default.

Top Seller for your country: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=topsellers&os=win

(You can use country codes to check out other country's top seller (this only works while you signed out). e.g. "cc=uk" for UK.)

Global Top Seller: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=globaltopsellers&os=win

Looks like they've ditched the regional charts and reverted to the one unified global chart. You cannot see regional charts anymore.

They're back. You have to see your regional chart at the main page again.

Also now you can set your language and OS preferences, which probably affects recommendation and such: https://store.steampowered.com/account/preferences/

I think you'd better set your secondary language to English if your primary language is not.

deuxhero

Arcane
Valve has always included teaseing stuff in software and not fucking once has it ever been real.

Astral Rag
The most "wut" thing in there is trying to claim its based on an M1 Garand.

Most distinct features of the Garand are the gas tube style (absent) en bloc clip feed system (absent), op rod (either only the CoD has anything like it, or the one in orion project is on the correct side unlike every video game gun ever. I'm going with 1) and maybe the the very American sights (For some reason the US army loves accuracy over any other factor, like ready time ect., for sights yet at the same time decided some relatively simple changes in preproduction for the Garand that would greatly increase accuracy weren't worth it. Even the M1 carbine got these despite being useless on something that shoots .30 carbine) which absolutely aren't there. There is NOTHING that looks like an Garand on that thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://medium.com/steam-spy/steam-summer-sale-2016-12b5f3cac990

Steam Summer Sale 2016
This was the first Steam Summer Sale without any daily or flash deals. And despite the perception of some of the core gamers, it ended up better than the previous one for both game developers and consumers: gamers bought more games, developers earned more money. And that’s what makes a sale great, right?

Caveats
When estimating revenue and number of copies sold I’m doing my best to filter out free giveaways, new titles without any discounts, and account for the regional difference in pricing.

For example, Limbo was free on Steam for a limited time, and therefore I assumed that all of its new 1.9M owners are coming from that promotion. Of course, in reality, some people bought the game after the giveaway, but it’s hard to tell just how many.

I’ve also removed a bunch of full-priced games like Total War: Warhammer (why isn’t it called Total Warhammer, again?). Technically, they were sold during Steam Summer Sale but weren’t a part of the promotion.

It’s also important to note that I’ve only included games that shifted over 5,000 copies during Steam Summer Sale. My algorithm isn’t precise enough to reliably account for the games with lower sales.

Overall, 1,592 games managed to sell over 5,000 copies — it’s a 50% increase over the last year’s number (1,050).

That constitutes 22% out of 7,156 individual games that were discounted this time — not a big difference compared to 24% of last year.

This is also the reason why I can’t calculate the median sales of the game during Steam Summer Sale — it’s way below my margin of error, unfortunately.

Numbers
Let’s start with the overall number of game copies sold:

These 1,592 games moved 36.8 million copies!
Last year this number was 33 millions, a 12% growth! Of course, this increase could be explained by Steam’s growing user base: it jumped from 130M users to 175M users (35%). However, a significant chunk of these new users are coming for the free-to-play titles published on Steam and, therefore, are less likely to purchase new games.

Besides, the increase in concurrent users on Steam was more modest: 12.2M vs. 9.7M (26%).

But let’s get back to the most interesting stat: the revenue!

This year Steam Summer Sale generated $223.2M in revenue.
That’s huge! In 2015 Steam Summer Sale netted developers $160M, so this year saw a 40% increase regarding estimated revenue!

Wait, but why?
Let’s talk about what might’ve contributed to such a sharp increase.

One thing that comes to mind is the removal of flash and daily deals. While sounding exciting, these deals incentivized people to wait for the best deal possible instead of buying already discounted games. While in theory the whole point of any sale it to, well, promote sales, not waiting.

1*6AgkBfCgwKwZO2n4Yy9mQw.jpeg

Typical Steam Sales guide of yesteryear, courtesy of /r/pcmasterrace

Last year the sales were spiking around the first and the last day of the sale. This year they were a bit more evenly distributed across the whole sale period with a spike around the first weekend.

The removal of daily and flash deals also made developers more cautious with their discounts. An average discount this year was50%, instead of the 66.67% from last year.

While one could argue that this is a bad deal for consumers, I’d say consumers will be better off if the game developers don’t go bankrupt in the long run.

The median revenue for the games with a 75% discount was $33.5K this year ($40K last year), $40K for 66% ($75K), $60K for 50% ($90K), $106K for 33% ($90K) and $120K for 25% ($90K last year). There was only a handful of games discounted by 10%, most of them being recent releases.

It seems like discounting less was the winning tactics this year. Although, of course, it always depends on the game.

And, just like the last time around, people are playing their newly bought games — the games outside of the top 20 jumped at least by a 50% in total playtime after the sale.

Summary
  • Steam Summer Sale made 40% more money this year.
  • An average discount was 50% and less discounted titles seem to have brought more revenue.
  • The removal of flash and daily deals might be the reason for the increase in sales and the decrease in discounts.

Bonus - Sergey Galyonkin on Metro-like Steam users:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
This was the first Steam Summer Sale without any daily or flash deals. And despite the perception of some of the core gamers, it ended up better than the previous one for both game developers and consumers: gamers bought more games, developers earned more money. And that’s what makes a sale great, right?

It may be more practical but is it more fun?

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane

Didn't he previously say that this "1%" are the ones that buy 33%+ of all games on Steam being the most important audience, and expanded that to 20% that buy 88% of all of them: https://medium.com/steam-spy/your-target-audience-doesn-t-exist-999b78aa77ae#.dho8l43pt
In fact, 1% of Steam gamers own 33% of all copies of games on Steam. 20% of Steam gamers own 88% of games. That’s even more than Pareto principle suggests.

So, to be a member of the “1% group” of Steam gamers you have to own 107 games or more. That’s not much considering how Steam is selling games at discount prices and how easy it is to obtain games in bundles.

We’re talking about 1.3M PC gamers that could fall into definition of “core gamer that buys several games per year”. And that’s including discounted games as well.

Why would you consider people that essentially use Steam only as a browser for F2P games or solely to play DOTA2/TF2 or similar and nothing else as your "audience", instead of marketing to the part of said audience that actually have a chance to buy your product? It's like complaining that free-gayme mobile players don't play full-price games.

I don't entirely understand what he is trying to say, but why would they "eat cake" if they are essentially not eating anything or solely ground dirt?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Market what? The Steam sale?

It's probably easier to sell games to people who don't already own them. :P

Dexter

Arcane
It's easier to sell games to people that don't seem to buy them in the first place? How does that work?

Why would your Indie garbage/shovelware game suddenly get them to actually buy into Steam when they only owned DOTA2 and Team Fortress 2 before or are Chinese people browsing F2P games?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Spy guy conclusions always baffled me.So we have 50% more games with only 12% increase in sales to 26% more users.With numbers like this you can easily argue this summer sale was overall worse than last.40% revenue bump is due to lower discounts.As his stats show people buy less ,but more expensive games.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As his stats show people buy less ,but more expensive games.
Which makes for an overall healthier marketplace. Previous steam sale formula was driving the prices into the ground, which while may sound good on paper (cheap games for everyone!), actually devalued good titles and made people waste money on cheap games which they would then never play.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Market what? The Steam sale?

It's probably easier to sell games to people who don't already own them. :P

Not in every case. If someone already own(ed) a game, and liked (or maybe just remembers) it, it's easier to sell it to them a second time on Steam / GoG. I bought a lot of games on GoG (and Steam) I technically already own because it's easier than trying to find the CDs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As his stats show people buy less ,but more expensive games.
Which makes for an overall healthier marketplace. Previous steam sale formula was driving the prices into the ground, which while may sound good on paper (cheap games for everyone!), actually devalued good titles and made people waste money on cheap games which they would then never play.
Since I'm wise enough to know not to buy shitty games no matter how cheap, I'd prefer a crashing marketplace. The Steam 'sales' are now worthless unless you're buying a five year old title or are fine with discounts equivalent to what you can get from a preorder from some places like Green Man Gaming.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The removal of daily and flash deals also made developers more cautious with their discounts. An average discount this year was50%, instead of the 66.67% from last year.

While one could argue that this is a bad deal for consumers, I’d say consumers will be better off if the game developers don’t go bankrupt in the long run.
This is so beyond retarded that I have to wonder if the writer was trolling.

Do some people truly think that discounts mean the seller is taking a loss and is actually at risk?

pippin

Marketing is more important than the games themselves. Consider how you can sometimes end up buying games you'll never play.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

This is so beyond retarded that I have to wonder if the writer was trolling.

Do some people truly think that discounts mean the seller is taking a loss and is actually at risk?
There's the risk of leaving money on the table by selling too cheap to people who would have been willing to pay more. The potential market for a game is only so big, and if all of them are paying rock-bottom prices for your game then you may not be earning enough to stay in business. With flash sales you could sell at -66% to the dedicated bargain hunters during a flash sale, while selling at -40% the rest of the sale to gamers more casually looking for cheap games.

I think steam did away with the flash sales because too many customers had become aware of how easy it was to take advantage of them, so too many people who would have been willing to pay -40% were holding out for the -66% instead.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I think it's obvious why they did away with them -- because it makes them more money. That doesn't mean it's ideal for most savvy consumers.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I think steam did away with the flash sales because too many customers had become aware of how easy it was to take advantage of them, so too many people who would have been willing to pay -40% were holding out for the -66% instead.
... isn't this the WHOLE POINT of a sale, any sale, ever?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
... isn't this the WHOLE POINT of a sale, any sale, ever?
Um, not exactly. There are plenty of different reasons a business may have for running a sale, but simply selling the product for less to a customer who would have been willing to pay more is not one of them.

The ideal way to sell any game is first at $120 to everyone willing to pay $120, then $90 to anyone willing to pay $90, then $60, then $50, then $40, etc etc. In reality there's basically no limit to how low the publisher will go on the sale of a virtually free to produce copy of a game (see how low the prices for bundles go) except to deter the people who have already paid a higher amount from thinking they were screwed by being on the wrong end of a price drop and holding back on their purchase the next time around for a better deal.

This relies on the customer not knowing when price drops will happen so that they think they've gotten the best price obtainable in the present or near future. As soon as you institutionalize a system where a consumer can clearly expect a 2nd price drop within a few days, and if said price drop doesn't happen they can still buy it for the original price, the whole system falls apart. You need the uncertainty of price changes to make the system work.

One thing I've always thought would be an interesting experiment would be to sell a product and clearly lay out its pricing future ahead of time. e.g., Clearly state on release that the game will cost $60 on release day, will have a $45 sale on R+30 to 37, a permanent price drop to $45 on R+60, etc etc. Wonder if its ever been tried. On one hand it takes away the power of the publisher to drop price or raise price if a game is performing worse or better than predicted, on the other I imagine a lot of people would pay x price more readily if they knew it was the best price obtainable in the near future.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Can't connect to Steam ATM. User Reviews, Forums ( :incline: ) etc are also unavailable.

dE4q398.png

Dafuq is happening Gabe?

Last edited:

Mustawd

Didn't he previously say that this "1%" are the ones that buy 33%+ of all games on Steam being the most important audience, and expanded that to 20% that buy 88% of all of them: https://medium.com/steam-spy/your-target-audience-doesn-t-exist-999b78aa77ae#.dho8l43pt
In fact, 1% of Steam gamers own 33% of all copies of games on Steam. 20% of Steam gamers own 88% of games. That’s even more than Pareto principle suggests.

So, to be a member of the “1% group” of Steam gamers you have to own 107 games or more. That’s not much considering how Steam is selling games at discount prices and how easy it is to obtain games in bundles.

We’re talking about 1.3M PC gamers that could fall into definition of “core gamer that buys several games per year”. And that’s including discounted games as well.

Why would you consider people that essentially use Steam only as a browser for F2P games or solely to play DOTA2/TF2 or similar and nothing else as your "audience", instead of marketing to the part of said audience that actually have a chance to buy your product? It's like complaining that free-gayme mobile players don't play full-price games.

I don't entirely understand what he is trying to say, but why would they "eat cake" if they are essentially not eating anything or solely ground dirt?

I don't get it either. What is he trying to say exactly?

I bought a lot less games this year due to the fact that I have over 300 already. Even if a game was heavily discounted it still felt odd to buy yet another. After all, whatever is on my wishlist probably has no chance of being played for a few years.

So in essence...yah...I basically have all the good games on steam that I want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom