Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah but what about hats, we need to see the hats.txt.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That HL3 info is probably outdated and based on a long abandoned build/concept.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Got my Steam Controller to work today, but it wasn't supported correctly driver-wise and the hack to make it work is just meh.

I'm yet to find where to configure the mouse accel and such.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Got my Steam Controller to work today, but it wasn't supported correctly driver-wise and the hack to make it work is just meh.

I'm yet to find where to configure the mouse accel and such.
:what:

What OS are you running?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Valve Explains Why Steam Customer Service Is Still Terrible

At the start of 2015, Valve told me Steam’s crappy customer service would be a big focus for them this year. It’s still terrible. Here’s what happened.

During a recent interview with Valve business authority Erik Johnson, I asked why people still have to put up with unanswered support tickets and, sometimes, months of radio silence when dealing with Steam support. He did not disagree with most people’s assessment of the situation: it’s gotten ugly with a capital “ugh.”

“I think it’s technically gotten a little worse on the user side of things [since the last time we talked]—at least, overall in terms of current ticket times,” he said. “That peaked a few weeks ago, and it’s starting to get better now.”

He told me that progress is being made on Valve’s side of things; it’s just not all visible progress. Even recent support-focused features like Steam refunds, he claimed, only represent the beginning of a much larger initiative.

“We started by realizing we had a lot of software to write to build a new support system,” Johnson explained. “The first feature that came of that was the ability to get refunds of purchases made on Steam. That made the most sense to start with. If a customer buys something they don’t like, they can get their money back in a pretty transparent way. We think that’s a good feature, but we don’t think it was the fix for support. It had a lot more work behind it that was long-term thinking than just refunds.”

“The second software problem that we’re getting through now is how to deal with account security and account theft,” he said. “So we’ve been updating the mobile apps and dealing with two-factor authentication. It’s a surprisingly complicated and prevalent issue inside of Steam, and we have some unique challenges in there. A lot of the load of customer support is a function of the number of transactions you make. Our own games like DOTA and Counter-Strike and TF2 have a lot more transactions than a typical game, so that’s created a lot of load on the system. The ability to trade items and sell items directly on the marketplace, that creates more support load. So all of those are kind of self-inflicted things.”

But that still doesn’t get to the heart of why Steam support, specifically, has more than it should in common with a backed-up toilet. On the upside, Valve has been working with third-party companies to establish a more efficient, effective support queue. Problem is, some of those companies weren’t really interested in solving support problems.

“We’ve hired a couple different companies [to help with support],” said Johnson. “The thing that’s interesting is, you go out to third-party support providers, and—at least in our experience—most of them wanted to sell you ways to reduce the number of people currently waiting in support, but they weren’t very good at selling you ways to solve customer support issues. I think we’ve all had that experience of, ‘I get it. You’re trying to get me off the line.’ We’re not super interested in providing crappy support in volume.”

So Valve’s taken to training people, but training takes time.

“It’s meant that training people in third-party has taken longer than we expected,” explained Johnson. “It bugs us, but it is what it is. We think we’ll have the support wait time down to an acceptable point by Christmas time. That’s our goal. It’s a function of training up more and more people answer customer issues. We’re not there yet. It’s getting better internally; it’s just that it hasn’t yet translated to great support for users. We’re gonna get there, though.”

If Johnson’s timeline proves accurate, it’ll certainly be a nice Christmas present—except, perhaps, for the new support trainees, who won’t get a trial by fire so much as a holiday getaway to an erupting volcano. Ah, Steam sales.

Still, fingers crossed. Steam is one of the biggest video game platforms on Earth. Customer support capable of picking up the slack is long overdue.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
How about just hiring your own staff?

No, they would hurt Valve's "precious culture":

Which is pretty ironic given that it was Valve's bottomless pockets which had given Ellsworth's team plenty of technology to help prototype her visionary ideas.

"We had a machine shop with millions of dollars of equipment in it and couldn't hire a machinist for $40,000 a year to manufacture machine parts for it. Because they were worried that bringing in a machinist would hurt their precious culture,” she said.

"If I sound bitter, it's because I am. I am really, really bitter. Because they promised me the world and then stabbed me in the back.

"What I learned from Valve is that I don't think it works. Give people complete latitude with no checks and balances it is human nature that they will minimise the work that they do and increase the control that they have.

"We used to joke that it's good at hiring lots of lead guitarists. We went out and hired lots of great makers - but we were all lead guitarists, we couldn't go out and hire someone just to manufacture the parts. Just getting a tech for around the lab was almost impossible. That's why a layer of management can help organisations."

http://www.develop-online.net/news/...en-management-clique-like-high-school/0115316

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The management is fairly dysfunctional. They're a big time company with a mom and pop outlook. When you have the largest digital game distribution platform on the internet you shouldn't be outsourcing your customer service.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The management is fairly dysfunctional. They're a big time company with a mom and pop outlook. When you have the largest digital game distribution platform on the internet you shouldn't be outsourcing your customer service.
It doesn't seem like the bad customer service has much effect on sales, so why bother?

DramaticPopcorn

Everything must be monetized
It's not like it wasn't monetized before on different sites. Steam is just diversifying its assortment. It's likely they will soon start with movie sections in their entirety.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom