Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
His name is actually Maulbeck not Murderbeck... so he obviously changed that in his rage. Anyway, mess with GabeN and you get fucked. It's fine. If anyone here did that in their job or to a client at work then chances are they'd terminate the relationship, too.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I'm often astonished at how people seem to think Twitter exists in some kind of bubble: that it isn't a public platform open to anybody anywhere at any time so long as they have internet access. If anything, twitter's a crash-course in PR 101.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
His name is actually Maulbeck not Murderbeck... so he obviously changed that in his rage. Anyway, mess with GabeN and you get fucked. It's fine. If anyone here did that in their job or to a client at work then chances are they'd terminate the relationship, too.

Yep, I can confirm that.
Recently watched a retarded guy who just have a recent divorce have a rageout with a difficult client.
Let's say he's no longer working with my friend's company
My friend have to apologize by treating the client's entire family to dinner and give a red packet to bury the scene.
Let it be a warning to anyone who still not working here that in almost all industry, except apparently for the video game industry, the customer is king.
Do not fuck with the customer no matter what.

ColCol

Arcane
Wasn't a fan of Paranautical. Bullet hell does not mix well with first-person shooter. Good schadenfreude though.

Astral Rag

Arcane
What a Darwinian nightmare that kid. I hope Gabe's top lawyers are on the case.

edit:
Valve pulls game from Steam following dev's tweet threatening Gabe Newell

Was frustrated his game was erroneously labelled Early Access.
By Jeffrey Matulef Published 21/10/2014

Twitter has consequences. And so do death threats - even ones casually muttered as hyperbole. This is the harsh lesson Paranautical Activity developer Mike Maulbeck learned today when after a Steam snafu erroneously advertised his game as an Early Access title he crossed a line and tweeted a death threat to Gabe Newell. Following this outrage, the game was pulled from Valve's distribution service.

So here's how it went down: Valve promoted Paranautical Activity as a selection of Halloween-themed games on Steam. The problem was it marked the procedurally-generated shooter as an Early Access game when it actually had its full release a couple of weeks back.

"Valve marked our game as 'now on Early Access' as we released the final version (no longer in Early Access). I knew this would greatly cripple sales and confuse customers," Maulbeck explained to Eurogamer in an e-mail correspondence.

"I in fact had already begun getting tweets and e-mails from people claiming I marked it as Early Access myself to try and avoid criticism of the final version."

Dismayed at this harmful error, Maulbeck took to Twitter to blow off some steam about, well, Steam.

"ARE YOU F****** KIDDING ME STEAM? WE JUST RELEASED OUT OF EARLY ACCESS AND THIS IS OUR FRONT PAGE BANNER?" the developer railed in his first Tweet on the issue.

This was followed up by such messages as "First they force me to delay the game because I can't release on weekends, now this. Steam is the most incompetent piece of f****** s***," and "I am so F****** DONE DEALING WITH F****** INCOMPETENT S***s."

And then eventually, in the now-deleted Tweet (captured by Player Attack), "I am going to kill Gabe Newell. He is going to die."

Naturally, this did not go over well at Valve. Paranautical Activity was pulled.

Maulbeck forwarded Eurogamer the following e-mail he received from Valve on the matter:

"On your Twitter account today there were a series of messages where you expressed your frustration with Steam. We are generally comfortable with partners expressing this type of frustration or any other viewpoint directly with us or publicly through social media and the press. But one of your tweets this morning was a threat to kill one of our colleagues. Death threats cross a line. We have therefore decided to end our business relationship with you and Code Avarice."

"We've closed down your Steam admin accounts and we're removing the game from purchase on Steam. We will leave make Community Hub available so that existing customers will continue to have a place to discuss the game. Our understanding is that you're done developing the game, but if you need to ship an update to Steam customers, get in touch with us and we can help ship the update out for you."

Maulbeck reacted to the news with the following tweet: "Welp. PA no longer on Steam. I'm done making videogames now. It sucked while it lasted."

"It's just not possible to make a living in this industry without Steam, so I'm just out," he added, followed by, "Mike blows up at Valve on Twitter. Valve wins because Valve", and "I'm jumping back and forth between killing myself and getting a job at Radio Shack."

He then stated, "People telling me it's f****** stupid to say I wanna kill Gabe. Can I set up a 'no s***' autoresponse on Twitter?"

When pressed for comment on the matter, Maulbeck explained to Eurogamer, "This being a project I spent years of my life on, I was very frustrated by this mistake Valve made, so I tweeted a series of tweets calling them incompetent that eventually ended in me saying 'I swear I'm gonna f****** kill Gabe' or something. A statement I obviously didn't mean, but nonetheless was totally unacceptable and driven entirely by the heat of frustration I was feeling at the time."

"I have since obviously replied to them saying that I didn't mean what I said and pleaded that they consider the monopoly they have on the PC market before totally writing us off, but let's be real. If they took the game off the store, they're f****** sure about their decision," he lamented. "There's probably nothing to be done."

"My tendency to get heated and overly passionate has burned me many times in the past. Guess it was only a matter of time before it burned me to death."

For the record, Maulbeck told us that he did try to contact Valve about the error amicably before ranting on Twitter. "I of course brought the issue to Valve's attention as soon as I saw it," he explained. "The game still sat claiming to be in Early Access for a few hours waiting to be updated. I intelligently spent this time brooding until I eventually tweeted about it."

This is not Maulbeck's first row with Valve as he previously criticised Steam Greenlight when he was once told that he couldn't get Paranautical Activity on Steam directly through publisher Adult Swim since he'd already made a Greenlight page for it. Eventually the game was successfully greenlit anyway, but not through Adult Swim as that deal fell through when the publisher couldn't guarantee a Steam release.

Paranautical Activity may not be available on Steam anymore, but you can still purchase it through the Humble Store, Desura or the developer's website.

We've reached out to Valve to see if it's considering re-instating Paranautical Activity on Steam following Maulbeck's apology. We'll update should we find out more.

In related news, the UK is in the midst of making legal changes to really crack down on online trolling. Do you reckon Maulbeck's punishment in this case was too harsh or not harsh enough?

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Ahh, the Schadenfreude of seeing a man reap his just rewards after acting like a retard on Twitter is simply exquisite.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
^

Yes, in fact:
In related news, the UK is in the midst of making legal changes to really crack down on online trolling.
This is what should be done. My god, he said he'd kill gaben that is serious shit gaben cocksuckers everywhere gather around to stone the infidel
On the other hand, Valve can do whatever the fuck it wants because hurrrrrrr it saved pc gaming did you know please i want all games ever to be controlled by one single entity it is best

Luka-boy

Arcane
So he, a small indie dev about to release his game, acts like an internet tough guy and writes a public death threat to the head honcho of the biggest PC game distribution platform on Earth thinking there won't be any consequences. Absolutely brilliant.

Somebody should make an appropriate edit of this pic with Gaben.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
^

Yes, in fact:
In related news, the UK is in the midst of making legal changes to really crack down on online trolling.
This is what should be done. My god, he said he'd kill gaben that is serious shit gaben cocksuckers everywhere gather around to stone the infidel
On the other hand, Valve can do whatever the fuck it wants because hurrrrrrr it saved pc gaming did you know please i want all games ever to be controlled by one single entity it is best

If you say stupid shit on a public forum, under your own name, you better be prepared to suffer the consequences. Steam's market share has nothing to do with it, if the guy said he'd kill GOG's CEO in a similar fashion, it'd be perfectly reasonable for them to terminate their relationship as well. These aren't little kids we're talking about here, but adults in charge of a (seemingly) successful business, and it's perfectly reasonable to expect them to behave as such.

Look past your hatred for GabeN bro, it is better saved for instances where Valve genuinely fuck up (like with the Euro Truck Simulator dude and the tag exploit). This is just a case of a dumbass suffering for his stupidity, which I can only applaud.

Turjan

Arcane
If you say stupid shit on a public forum, under your own name, you better be prepared to suffer the consequences. Steam's market share has nothing to do with it, if the guy said he'd kill GOG's CEO in a similar fashion, it'd be perfectly reasonable for them to terminate their relationship as well.
I agree. But if you look behind it, while the death threat may be the actual occasion for termination of services (there's not much debating about this), the business reason may be rather his statements like "Steam is the most incompetent fucking piece of shit" or "I am so fucking done dealing with fucking incompetent shits", which are the more damaging comments. The death threat nicely relegates those to a back seat.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It is reasonable, and that's all there is it to it. Which is why all this "haha, bravo, finally someone does the right thing", like Valve is dispensing divine justice from a holy barrel is fucking retarded.
If they did what was expected to be done then what's with all the retarded cheering?
Of course you can't expect anything more from the shit-flinging monkeys who froth at the mouth that Microsoft is an evil monopolistic overlord for daring to include IE in Windows while at the same time being perfectly fine with Valve essentially controlling PC gaming and sucking off gaben for his great illuminated vision of doing a Linux distro.

Also let's not forget the outrage whenever someone who says something that is deemed sexist or similar is fired. That is fine, though, because freedum of speech lol

Yes, this is a case of shitting where you eat, if he wanted to keep his game there. But I bet that if he pulled the game himself the same people would be all "lol butthurt developar cant understand the mysterious ways of god gaben"

Steamfags. Horrible creatures.

it is better saved for instances where Valve genuinely fuck up
You mean like this?
In preparation for Halloween, some games with horror elements were selected to be featured on sales. Steam erroneously labeled his game as "early access" (alpha/beta state) which means less people willing to buy the game, and when he contacted them they would take too long to fix it. He was already angry with them since they wouldn't allow him to release the game on a weekend (more time on the spotlight), and how he lost the contract with Adult Swim because Valve wouldn't allow him to back off on his Greenlight request.
Surely this is a fuck up? Yes/No/Gaben?

Bruticis

I don't think this has much to do with people being happy the mighty Gaben shut down a hapless twit. I'd say more people are happy because someone finally shut some whiny bitch "indie dev" the fuck up. These armchair, after school indie devs have been running amok on social media, not having the slightest clue how to run a business, spouting off all kinds of insane nonsense. Go read the official Steam forums (*shudder*) for any number of these shitty indie games and you'll be amazed at just how fucking stupid these idiots are.

Whiran

Magister
You mean like this?

Yes, it is but we don't know the full story on how it happened.

The facts that I am aware of this: when the sale was being prepared the game was in Early Access.

The sale went live on Monday.
The guy "released" his game on Monday.

Instead of contacting Steam and letting them know what's up (or, better yet, preemptively contacting the sales people at Steam and letting them know that the game would be released on Monday) the guy went on a crazy and scary public anti-Valve shouting tirade. He insults Steam, calls them incompetent, and then threatens to kill the founder.

That leads me to wonder who is the incompetent person here. If he did contact Valve in advance and made it clear that the game was 100% to be in release state as of Monday and also contacted whomever informed him that it would be going on sale (assuming Valve does this - they might not - they might just select games and put them on sale although given comments from gaming companies over the years it would appear that they do contact to inform that a game is selected to go on sale and ask permission) then, yep, totally Valve's fault. 100%.

But, if he just assumed that because he set his game to released and didn't inform the person doing the sales coordination that they would magically know the game's state changed from the last time it was checked (being Friday or even Monday morning) then he messed up. A quick phone call to the person in charge of the sale with a quick explanation of, 'hey, my game is now released' would have gotten the situation resolved but instead he went to twitter and tweeted his rage meltdown. Heck, he could even have asked for some sort of apology inducement like a 5% reduction in Valve's cut for the week or somesuch or another sale highlight between now and the Christmas sale. You never know.

Then again, this is Valve and in my opinion they are terrible at Customer Service (based on my two experiences with them over the years and also from reading other's experiences with Valve) so maybe not :)

There is only one company I would rank lower than Valve in the Customer Service front and that is greenman gaming's playfire - one week without a response to a time sensitive customer support request. They beat out Valve's five day response turn-around by two days and counting.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It is reasonable, and that's all there is it to it. Which is why all this "haha, bravo, finally someone does the right thing", like Valve is dispensing divine justice from a holy barrel is fucking retarded.
If they did what was expected to be done then what's with all the retarded cheering?
Of course you can't expect anything more from the shit-flinging monkeys who froth at the mouth that Microsoft is an evil monopolistic overlord for daring to include IE in Windows while at the same time being perfectly fine with Valve essentially controlling PC gaming and sucking off gaben for his great illuminated vision of doing a Linux distro.

Also let's not forget the outrage whenever someone who says something that is deemed sexist or similar is fired. That is fine, though, because freedum of speech lol

Yes, this is a case of shitting where you eat, if he wanted to keep his game there. But I bet that if he pulled the game himself the same people would be all "lol butthurt developar cant understand the mysterious ways of god gaben"

it is better saved for instances where Valve genuinely fuck up
You mean like this?
In preparation for Halloween, some games with horror elements were selected to be featured on sales. Steam erroneously labeled his game as "early access" (alpha/beta state) which means less people willing to buy the game, and when he contacted them they would take too long to fix it. He was already angry with them since they wouldn't allow him to release the game on a weekend (more time on the spotlight), and how he lost the contract with Adult Swim because Valve wouldn't allow him to back off on his Greenlight request.

Again bro, you are swinging at windmills here. Nobody's all "fuck yeah GabeN smite the unbeliever" (unless you interpret sea's joke as such, in which case you can stop reading here), we're just amused at how a dumbass indie dev suffered the consequences of his stupidity for once. We laughed even harder when Phil Fish self-ejected, and that had nothing to do with Steam. Seriously, you're on the fucking Codex, and are upset that we're laughing at the misfortune people bring upon themselves through their own retardation?

Even my post, which you initially responded to, was more about Twitter as a platform for self-destruction, and didn't reference Steam at all. I can see that you're very butthurt about it, and eager to label anyone who disagrees with you as a Steamtard, but be aware that this is your own fabrication insofar as this thread is concerned.

Astral Rag

Arcane
math1a9iac.png

https://twitter.com/notch/status/524448705681063938
:troll:

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Seems like the guy decided to self-eject as well: http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice

Probably the best he can do at this point, having the best interest of the company in mind. Credit to him that he made this decision instead of continuing to dig himself and his coworkers even deeper. Now his partner (and the new owner) needs to step away from Twitter and figure out the best way to salvage the situation. Last time I saw, he was also tweeting about evil monopolies and the unfairness of life.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
My temper and tendency to use twitter to vent has been a consistent problem since I entered the games industry, and I just can’t do it. I don’t have the willpower necessary to be the “face” of a company.

Poor indie dev who doesn't have the neccesary willpower not to be a retard on social media D: Shame about the other 4 guys that have to pay for his mistake. Then again I doubt the game would have been a financial success anyway (judging from its non-steam performance).

If I do continue to work in games it’ll be as an anonymous 1 of 1000 at some shitty corporation
He should put that in his work application.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom