Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Medic Scholar Patron

Medic
    Click here and disable ads!
    Lol, you guys are really butthurt about sitting in one area for a couple of minutes? and how would you do the introduction? branching dialogue without consequences? no introduction at all, just shooting shit up? WTF
    Cloaked Figure Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  2. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Uh... make it so it can be skipped?
    ^ Top  
  3. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Angthoron
    Ahh, HL fanboys, the near relatives of Apple hipsters.

"So what if I can't play an actual game on this platform? It's so groundbreaking, deep, insightful and well-designed! And look how powerful it is! Fuck you haters!"
    villain of the story Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  4. MetalCraze Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

MetalCraze
    So what made HL so deep?

Back when HL came out there were no retarded hipsters like Infinitron. And I don't remember HL2 played by any either. People just played games.
    This shit with HL(2) being unique, deep, emotionally engaging, complex, intelligent, sophisticated, smart, majestic while you just point your crosshair at enemy and twitch LMB until it dies is new to me.
    ^ Top  
  5. Medic Scholar Patron

Medic
    That's your solution? just skip the dialogues, cut the content to go directly to shooting phase? lol, so your only problem is that you have to listen to dialogues for a couple of minutes?
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Man, screw you. I didn't even play either game until many years after its release. I was an RPG elitist, who wouldn't touch any shooter, for the longest time.
    ^ Top  
  7. Medic Scholar Patron

Medic
    you retards are the only people saying HL is deep, I'm saying it's a great game which had incredible impact on FPS genre, and you even acknowledged that.
    ^ Top  
  8. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Angthoron
    Nothing really, HL series is as deep as a puddle. The first one was a decent shooter with some extended periods of all-too-unfortunate rail cart riding, some voiced NPCs and a Sinister Deus Ex Machina to assign too much significance to.
    HL2 is more of the same, except with the shooting bit being less exciting and the NPCs being a little more worked out. Still, you can essentially fit both the plot and any possible message and connotation of both games on the back of a matchbox, each. How either can be hailed as what they're hailed, fuck if I know.

Of course, if you consider that HL1 came in at just the time when the prices on better PC components dropped significantly, it becomes a bit obvious that for many (not saying anyone on the boards here, but in general) it could've well been "Baby's First FPS", which in turn explains some other things about its popularity and over-interpretation.
    Twinkle and villain of the story Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  9. MetalCraze Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

MetalCraze
    That's what I said.
    ^ Top  
  10. Stinger Augur

Stinger
    Probably for the same reason Bioware games are held up as having 'immersive' and 'well-written' storylines. Standards are low when you aren't exposed to other media/haven't really played many games with good writing.
    ^ Top  
  11. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Angthoron
    Yeah, pretty much that. Combine with "Baby's First FPS" and media hype, and you got a winner.
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    It's funny that you say that.
    The person who convinced me to play HL (when I was bored out of my mind when I realized no more traditional D&D style RPGs were going to be released after Hordes of the Underdark and later NWN2) was my friend who is an English literature major and also one of the most brilliant people I know.

He likes Half Life precisely because the story is understated, without much good writing - without much writing at all - but still well told, through environmental storytelling. He hates all videogame writing because he think it sucks compared to real literature. Yes, even Obsidian/MCA writing.
    ^ Top  
  13. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    And what the fuck isnt new to you?

Morons. The beauty of first Half Life was precisely in that that it wasnt the first for many, large majority of players.
    It did what no other FPS shooter did before it.

Asswipes.

Precisely.
    ^ Top  
  14. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    Looking cool gives him more of a combat benefit than being stealthy. Should be obvious.
    ^ Top  
  15. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    You gotta love it when little insecure losers start resorting to someone of unquestionable authority(tm) to try and secure their positions. "An English Lit. Major told me so". LOL
    ^ Top  
  16. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    This point keeps coming up and nobody has yet explained just what it did that no other FPS* did before. But if you mean "no other FPS that I played", that would lend you some credibility.

*: "FPS Shooter" LOL. Like "RPG game" or "RTS strategy".
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    WTF, that wasn't an appeal to authority. I don't even entirely agree with the guy - I think videogame writing can be pretty good. I'm an easy-going, non-dogmatic guy, who can enjoy many kinds of things - unlike some people.

I was just trying to demonstrate that the point of view of somebody who finds HL's type of storytelling to be the best, isn't necessarily an ignorant one.
    ^ Top  
  18. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    I dont care whether you agree or not. What he said is simply correct.
    ^ Top  
  19. MetalCraze Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

MetalCraze
    Took place in a linear corridor?
    meh and villain of the story Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  20. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    I too am a brilliant English Lit Major, and I can tell you that your friend is a dumbfuck.
    SoupNazi, Metro and villain of the story Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  21. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    There is only one way to resolve this conflict. We add up and compare the brofists the proHL posts and the antiHL posts received.

:troll:
    Wyrmlord, Ed123 and Angthoron Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  22. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Angthoron
    I will second that on both counts. Sorry, no. HL has no story. It's not understated. It just isn't there. There's presentation, and even that is largely absent; HL2 is the game that has a better job pulling off presentation/plot, if anything. HL's story is as involving and descriptive as Doom. You know, like in Doom you have corpses of Marines, each of them telling a unique experience of being a post-colonial marine having been mercilessly de-classed by a throng of repressed feminist imps.
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    I was referring to the HL franchise as a whole, not to a particular game.
    ^ Top  
  24. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    Hey leave Doom alone, it at least came with a story in its readme.txt that's longer than the entire script of HL:

:troll:
    ^ Top  
  25. Cowboy Moment Arcane

Cowboy Moment
    Thing is, the story isn't so much understated, as just really simple. Limbo, for instance, has an understated story told through gameplay and the environment, that actually lends itself to multiple interpretations without being obtuse - and it has no writing at all, neither text nor voice acting. In comparison, HL2's story is just shallow, it basically consists of travelling between locations.

Oh and my sister is working towards a Ph.D. in Classical Philology, and she agrees with everything I post.:smug:
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)