Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tuluse, Metro pretty much summed up Valve in a nut shell. If you ever look up or find that interview of that chick who left Valve on that AR project you will see why people prefer working there and why I believe Valve will face trouble in the future if they continue in that direction. The question that you should be asking is, why or how the fuck is Bioware/Ubisoft beats Double Fine? That is something I am really curious about as we know how those studios operate thanks to the looking glass site or whatever that site is that gives reviews of employers.
I would think people into social justice would like to work for Bioware. Also, they're known as the "writing first" dev studio. So that would draw in plebs who think they're not plebs.

No idea about Ubisoft.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Valve will never face that trouble unless someone challenges Steam... and they won't. We've already seen EA fail at it.

hqdefault.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Naga, please. A DRM platform from a warez vendor that prides themselves on DRM free games.

Dr Tomo

Learned
I am skeptical on Gog Galaxy more then Steam being competent. Just like the failure of Steam Machines why would most people switch to purchase games from Gog only other then to spite Steam? I dislike Steam a lot, but realistically they are the only player in town that actually has a lot of infrastructure for the players and developers and unless the Poles are going to dump serious money they won't be competition. If anything it might be another Origin in my opinion, but I will patiently wait and see.

Caim

Arcane
What exactly am I looking at here? A woman interviewing Gabe Newell as he looked about a decad ago crudely photoshopped into an image?

Or did I miss something?

Ninjerk

Arcane
What exactly am I looking at here? A woman interviewing Gabe Newell as he looked about a decad ago crudely photoshopped into an image?

Or did I miss something?
In the original video, there's this juiced out bodybuilder that just won some big trophy and he starts crying and talking about how hard he worked for it. The angle is wider too so you can see the girl touch her crotch when she bites her lip. I think the guy's name was like Flex Lewis or Flex Wheeler or something stupid like that if you want to track it down.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Or did I miss something?
In the original video, there's this juiced out bodybuilder that just won some big trophy and he starts crying and talking about how hard he worked for it. The angle is wider too so you can see the girl touch her crotch when she bites her lip. I think the guy's name was like Flex Lewis or Flex Wheeler or something stupid like that if you want to track it down.

He was actually crying about his sick mother or something, I think. And his wife was with him there. :P

She's already out of breath before the interview. Maybe that's just a very heavy microphone?

C'mon, the guy is ripped, not afraid of showing his feelings AND he loves his mum. He's a white Mr. T. How can you not love him?

NUyttbn.gif]

Drax

Arcane
Good grief, I don't get in what concept of aesthetics do this bags of deformed protein think they are "hot dudes".
Worst thing is, judging from the "I'm so wet" face on the blondie, it actually fucking works, gosh darn it...

Ninjerk

Arcane
Good grief, I don't get in what concept of aesthetics do this bags of deformed protein think they are "hot dudes".
Worst thing is, judging from the "I'm so wet" face on the blondie, it actually fucking works, gosh darn it...
They end up looking like cavemen. It's about as masculine as you can get.

pippin

I am skeptical on Gog Galaxy more then Steam being competent. Just like the failure of Steam Machines why would most people switch to purchase games from Gog only other then to spite Steam? I dislike Steam a lot, but realistically they are the only player in town that actually has a lot of infrastructure for the players and developers and unless the Poles are going to dump serious money they won't be competition. If anything it might be another Origin in my opinion, but I will patiently wait and see.

It has been said that GoG Galaxy will be entirely optional, and even then, will be used mostly for multiplayer games. My guess is that if GoG doesn't get some sort of highly competitive arcade/fps game it won't do anything even against Origin. I don't think they want to compete against Origin or Steam with Galaxy, though. So far, that Witcher Adventure Game is the only title supported by Galaxy, and iirc, it's still on beta.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It has been said that GoG Galaxy will be entirely optional, and even then, will be used mostly for multiplayer games. My guess is that if GoG doesn't get some sort of highly competitive arcade/fps game it won't do anything even against Origin. I don't think they want to compete against Origin or Steam with Galaxy, though. So far, that Witcher Adventure Game is the only title supported by Galaxy, and iirc, it's still on beta.
I think they said something about it working with Steam. Which would be really cool. If you could just fire up either galaxy or steam and play with anyone on either.

Destroid

Arcane

Which makes me think if Riot Games (League of Legends) wanted to get into the distribution business, they would have a pretty damn good shot if they forced all their players to install the platform.

Fake edit: Wtf I just looked on wikipedia and Riot games have 1000 employees in 9 different countries. To support 1 game.

kazgar

Arcane
Kotaku Warning (though it is Kotaku Australia)

The ACCC Is Suing Valve
Cut and pasted below
Mark Serrels Today 9:40 AM

We’ve just received word that the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is suing Valve over its refund policy, which it claims is operating in breach of the Australian Consumer Law.

The issue, it appears, centres around its refund policy. Valve apparently does not provide refunds of any kind and the ACCC is taking issue with this, considering it goes directly against Australian consumer law.

The ACCC alleges that Valve made false or misleading representations to Australian customers of Steam that:

- consumers were not entitled to a refund for any games sold by Valve via Steam in any circumstances;
- Valve had excluded, restricted or modified statutory guarantees and/or warranties that goods would be of acceptable quality;
- Valve was not under any obligation to repair, replace or provide a refund for a game where the consumer had not contacted and attempted to resolve the problem with the computer game developer; and the statutory consumer guarantees did not apply to games sold by Valve.

“The Australian Consumer Law applies to any business providing goods or services within Australia,” explained ACCC Chairman Rod Sims. “Valve may be an American based company with no physical presence in Australia, but it is carrying on business in Australia by selling to Australian consumers, who are protected by the Australian Consumer Law.

“It is a breach of the Australian Consumer Law for businesses to state that they do not give refunds under any circumstances, including for gifts and during sales. Under the Australian Consumer Law, consumers can insist on a refund or replacement at their option if a product has a major fault.

“The consumer guarantees provided under the Australian Consumer Law cannot be excluded, restricted or modified.”

A date for the first hearing is set for 7 October 2014 at the Federal Court in Sydney before Justice Jagot.

You can read Valve’s response here.

Response here and below

Valve Responds To Being Sued By The ACCC
Mark Serrels Today 10:15 AM

This morning the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission announced that it would be suing Valve over its refund policy, as it allegedly goes against Australian consumer law. According to Doug Lombardi of Valve, it plans to co-operate fully.

“We are making every effort to cooperate with the Australian officials on this matter,” said Doug Lombardi, “while continuing to provide Steam services to our customers across the world, including Australian gamers.”

Currently the refund policy at Valve is as follows.

As with most software products, unless required by local law, we do not offer refunds or exchanges on games, DLC or in-game items purchased on our website or through the Steam Client. Please review Section 3 of the Steam Subscriber Agreement for more information.

The section in bold is perhaps the most interesting, since local law does state that refunds are required if the product is faulty.

More news as we get it.

buzz

Arcane
Fake edit: Wtf I just looked on wikipedia and Riot games have 1000 employees in 9 different countries. To support 1 game.
Ehh, it makes sense considering the bajillion of players they have. Most of them are probably the guys taking care of the servers.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Kotaku Warning (though it is Kotaku Australia)

The ACCC Is Suing Valve
Cut and pasted below
Mark Serrels Today 9:40 AM

We’ve just received word that the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is suing Valve over its refund policy, which it claims is operating in breach of the Australian Consumer Law.

The issue, it appears, centres around its refund policy. Valve apparently does not provide refunds of any kind and the ACCC is taking issue with this, considering it goes directly against Australian consumer law.

The ACCC alleges that Valve made false or misleading representations to Australian customers of Steam that:

- consumers were not entitled to a refund for any games sold by Valve via Steam in any circumstances;
- Valve had excluded, restricted or modified statutory guarantees and/or warranties that goods would be of acceptable quality;
- Valve was not under any obligation to repair, replace or provide a refund for a game where the consumer had not contacted and attempted to resolve the problem with the computer game developer; and the statutory consumer guarantees did not apply to games sold by Valve.

“The Australian Consumer Law applies to any business providing goods or services within Australia,” explained ACCC Chairman Rod Sims. “Valve may be an American based company with no physical presence in Australia, but it is carrying on business in Australia by selling to Australian consumers, who are protected by the Australian Consumer Law.

“It is a breach of the Australian Consumer Law for businesses to state that they do not give refunds under any circumstances, including for gifts and during sales. Under the Australian Consumer Law, consumers can insist on a refund or replacement at their option if a product has a major fault.

“The consumer guarantees provided under the Australian Consumer Law cannot be excluded, restricted or modified.”

A date for the first hearing is set for 7 October 2014 at the Federal Court in Sydney before Justice Jagot.

You can read Valve’s response here.

Response here and below

Valve Responds To Being Sued By The ACCC
Mark Serrels Today 10:15 AM

This morning the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission announced that it would be suing Valve over its refund policy, as it allegedly goes against Australian consumer law. According to Doug Lombardi of Valve, it plans to co-operate fully.

“We are making every effort to cooperate with the Australian officials on this matter,” said Doug Lombardi, “while continuing to provide Steam services to our customers across the world, including Australian gamers.”

Currently the refund policy at Valve is as follows.

As with most software products, unless required by local law, we do not offer refunds or exchanges on games, DLC or in-game items purchased on our website or through the Steam Client. Please review Section 3 of the Steam Subscriber Agreement for more information.

The section in bold is perhaps the most interesting, since local law does state that refunds are required if the product is faulty.

More news as we get it.
The problem is any retard can buy a single player game, finish it, and then claim it's defective. They'll probably come to some compromise where a play time limit is required.

buzz

Arcane
The perils of not using Early Access
"If your game sucks massive balls, you should rather put it in that section where it's socially acceptable for your game to suck balls and no one will scrutinize it".

You can avoid that peril by simply making your game not suck.

tuluse

Arcane
The perils of not using Early Access
"If your game sucks massive balls, you should rather put it in that section where it's socially acceptable for your game to suck balls and no one will scrutinize it".

You can avoid that peril by simply making your game not suck.
The point is that with limited resources (IE an indie dev) can't do proper testing and qa on their own. EA provides three resources they don't have. Money to keep working, many more eyes on the project, and a variety of systems to test hardware issues on.

Your post is the equivalent of "just have more money stupid company".

buzz

Arcane
Better than "It's okay to suck, here let me help you and have some of my money as well"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom