Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

DraQ

Arcane
don't complain if the quotes get broken :rpgcodex:

had this tab around for a while, too
WS outright threatens the families of NSF dudes, executes them and then chastises you for sticking around the first or second time you actually see him in-game
You don't learn that if you don't stick around.
Only reason I see for not sticking around is getting bored in the middle of the conversation or plain ignoring content
Expecting adverse consequences later on would be a good reason and I fully did expect them on my first playthrough.

As the result I wasn't around when WS actually started his little chat and wasn't around when he stopped talking and started popping moles.

What's fundamental? The difference Page being a background character would make? I fail to understand how would the game be much different, considering Page's "presence" only starts becoming less sparse by the time you get to HK(IIRC he's only mentioned as a philanthropist a couple times until you get back to NY, then shit gets obvious)
Page's presence starts with the end of the fucking training course. It doesn't take an Albert fucking Einstein to connect the dots if the the obviously influential person showing up to congratulate you at the end of the training course and presumably holding UNATCO's strings is also the supremely evil fucker from the intro.

what that doesn't contradict my argument, FFS man that's almost a theme inth egame
Why do you volourn at me, don't volourn at me.

Captain Shrek

HL has better AI than predecessors. Better placement of enemies. Well designed maps (but that's there in other Contemporary FPSs as well). I personally consider the AI controlling enemy behavior revolutionary. Not to mention the enemy types that vary drastically, not that it affects gameplay a lot.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Page's presence starts with the end of the fucking training course. It doesn't take an Albert fucking Einstein to connect the dots if the the obviously influential person showing up to congratulate you at the end of the training course and presumably holding UNATCO's strings is also the supremely evil fucker from the intro.
oh

why u no save scum

Forgotten Friend

Educated
Hey guys the villain showed up at the first scene of the game now it's ruined. This is the first time I've noticed such a thing happening. I have no idea why they'd do that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The opening movie in Deus Ex is pretty much the equivalent of the opening narration in the non-director's cut version of Dark City. They don't ruin them, but they're much better off without them.

Also, most people in this thread are fucking retarded. The main difference between whatever popamole QTE/cutscene we are discussing and most of HL1 scripted scenes is that most HL scenes don't even need to be skippable - you don't need to stop by that window either to watch the scientist die, or to pick your nose/stare at wall whatever. You can just run/walk past. Nothing is stopping you. Such scene is more than skippable - it's in the background. There are some situations where you have to wait for a character to stop talking, but other than that you can usually just ignore the scripted scene.

Well, like I said, if the cool thing about your scenes is that you can skip (or outright ignore) them, I don't see what makes them that awesome...

DraQ

Arcane
Well, like I said, if the cool thing about your scenes is that you can skip (or outright ignore) them, I don't see what makes them that awesome...
If the shit thing about scenes is when you not being able to skip them, then yes, being able to not just skip them but completely ignore them and continue gameplay without being interrupted is the polar opposite and therefore cool AND awesome. Stop being a retard.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
krawallbrand_Gabe-Newell-in-Half-Life-3-610x752.jpg

No comment.

MaroonSkein

Augur

UserNamer

Cipher
as far as I'm concerned serious sam is the new king of shooters, who cares about a 3 hours, source based expansion pack revolving on walking very slowly, reloading after 2 shots, and watching lots of cutscenes that will come out god knows when?

At least the next serious sam is going to be out in the next 20 years, a matter of decades, while with ep3 we are in the realm of infinities

Forgotten Friend

Educated
They are using nazi crowd control tactics. Witht he shit direction all games are going they kind of have to. Or, you know, they could stop making retarded games that are all the same as every other retarded game, but that won't happen unless kwans become too dumb to operate a console at all.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
In the search for a decent "realistic" shooter, I decided to finally try and finish HL2. And I can't bros, it's just not very good. And it's not like I'm some super monoclean FPS grognard, I finished shit like Crysis and Modern Warfare 1 and even had some fun with them. But HL2 is just too much. It feels like half of the game is running around linear environments and doing everything that is not shooting. And when the shooting does happen, it's kind of poor. So I guess what's left is the story and the atmosphere. The former is pretty nonexistant, but I'll give the game the latter, it does Orwell pretty decently. But best FPS ever? Come on.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Strictly speaking, I haven't given up yet. But I'm in the mines after Ravenholm, and not feeling very engaged. I think the last time I tried this, I lasted till Nova Prospekt.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I dunno what to say, unless you're getting stuck a lot the game shouldn't be off-putting, even though it has plenty of shit sections

uh, edit the ini or console cheat to skip to the last three chapters, you get a upgrade that lets you kill shit with the gravity gun mostly without using objects, there are also some puzzle fights and literal railroading

bet that's probably one of the biggest things that made the game what it is today

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Half-Life 2 is such an overrated turd. Scripted scenes up the ass, loading times around every corner and scripted unskippable scenes up the ass. Shitty physics puzzles everywhere that feels really gimmicky and the actual shooting parts themselves are mediocre at best. On top of that you have the filler content like the canals and the buggy.

Feels like playing a bloody tech demo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom