Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Some developers talk about it publicly, but I don't think I should. It may be specific to each game.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's nice to hear (and a nice surprise too) that Primordia is second only to Geminie Rue in terms of gross revenue - despite the relatively low reviews. Speaks well of the word of mouth, I guess.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Primordia is second only to Geminie Rue in terms of gross revenue - despite the relatively low reviews. Speaks well of the word of mouth, I guess.
Well, that's not what Dave said, and I'm not sure it's true. He just said it sold more copies. But Primordia sold like 35k in a Groupees bundle, while the rest of the WEG catalogue (which was in a separate bundle) sold 5k. The Primordia bundle had like 16 other games in it, so while it drove copies sold way up, it drove revenue per copy sold way down. I think it is certainly possible that Resonance has grossed more than Primordia. I think Groupees bundles can basically be seen as giving the game away for free (at least in Primordia's case), so "success" in Groupees really just means that we inflated our units-sold statistic.

[EDIT: Wait, WTF? Dave did say "gross earned"?! I think that must've happened in the edit he did. Or maybe I'm just a very sloppy reader. Huh. News to me, anyway.]

But yeah, Primordia word of mouth is ridiculously good. It's funny: it has the lowest Metacritic critic score of the major WEG games, but the highest player score, the most GOG reviews, and the second most Steam reviews (and highest percentage popular). Epiphany is rated higher on GOG, but that may be a temporary thing (every WEG game starts out at 5 stars and then dips to 4.5 as less passionate fans buy the game on discount). I remain at a loss as to what explains this divide. Part of it is just a fluke -- some sites that gave Primordia very good reviews were not aggregated by Metacritic at the time of Primordia's release, but were aggregated for other WEG releases, which skewed us down. But at the end of the day, it's pretty obvious that for whatever reason, Primordia appeals more to players than to major reviewers. This doesn't appear to be ignorance on either side: very experienced reviewers like Richard Cobbett don't like it, but very experienced players do. My best guesses are (1) Primordia plays better when you are taking your time and poking around at things, and thus suffers if you're playing to complete it and meet a deadline (getting stuck is probably especially annoying to reviewers for that reason); (2) the strong visual references that Vic did to BASS turned off some reviewers (who viewed it as copying) but pleased players (who viewed it as homage); and (3) the game lacked something of the counter-cultural spirit that indie games are supposed to have. But yeah, I don't get it.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yeah, I thought he had said "copies sold." "Gross earned" and "gross revenue" are interchangeable -- Dave uses them to mean revenue prior to Steam/GOG/Humble cut.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Yeah, I thought he had said "copies sold." "Gross earned" and "gross revenue" are interchangeable -- Dave uses them to mean revenue prior to Steam/GOG/Humble cut.

Hah, yeah, I thought as much and then thought that maybe I was mistaken after you objected.

Still, yeah, like I said, that was a nice surprise -- apparently to you too :P

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My best guesses are (1) Primordia plays better when you are taking your time and poking around at things, and thus suffers if you're playing to complete it and meet a deadline (getting stuck is probably especially annoying to reviewers for that reason); (2) the strong visual references that Vic did to BASS turned off some reviewers (who viewed it as copying) but pleased players (who viewed it as homage); and (3) the game lacked something of the counter-cultural spirit that indie games are supposed to have. But yeah, I don't get it.
Because I love dissing video game reviewers, I'd add 4) the writing and presentation was often too subtle for them. You don't beat players over the head that Clarity was a strong female character. I don't think she ever even complained about the robopatriarchy keeping her down! She just is. Contrast this with how indie favorites like Gone Home deal with their themes.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Quote nesting is off. Do you mind fixing to avoid attributing to me dissing video game reviewers? :)

While I'd love to rationalize the results with that theory, I think it's better not to dismiss criticisms. I have no reason to think that the negative pro reviewers are inferior readers to the positive amateur reviewers. That said, I remain perplexed by the RPS review's assertion that the game is philosophically shallow. Of all the narcisitic injuries I suffered, that was one of the worst, and I still find the assertion implausible. It's the one place where I tend to think that the criticism reflects a hostility to the game's perceived political positions rather than an authentic substantive criticism. I don't fancy myself a Rawls or even a learned Hooker, but I'm reasonably confident that Primordia's philosophical depth is better than the average point-and-click's. But maybe the criticism was that the game was too swaggeringly pseudo-philosophical and lacked the chops to back it up.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Richard Cobbett is a very good reviewer, and I often find his criticism insightful and to the point. However, he also hates (at least) two adventure games I consider great, namely Primordia and The Curse of Monkey Island :P With some outlandish reasons for both, too, imo.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It's the one place where I tend to think that the criticism reflects a hostility to the game's perceived political positions rather than an authentic substantive criticism.

That’s a sad possibility. SF has long been associated with the expression of political views, and the genre has seen a healthy variety of these over time, usually with respect from those involved, but lately there’s been a noxious trend attempting to force a great division in the genre based on politics, with a bellicose “us vs them” attitude. These people will reject something based on their political bias alone, with no honest care for the actual quality of what’s before them. Maybe you were a casualty in the crossfire.

Richard Cobbett is a very good reviewer, and I often find his criticism insightful and to the point.

Really? I have yet to read something insightful from him. What I read from him so far was predictably inoffensive and leaned more on the side of light infotainment than genuine critical work.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bee has had a soft spot for Cobbett ever since the...drunken Twitter incident. :P

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I agree with Bee about Corbbett. He does review games as games (instead of ~*~*feeling*~*~ generators) and generally does an ok job.

Maybe he doesn't do detailed critiques but that's not really his job.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Gragt Maybe, though John Scalzi was nice enough to let us be the first (only?) game on which he ran a Big Idea post. Partly because of a more-than-healthy level of self-loathing and partly because I believe most people to be sincere, I am inclined to assume that criticisms of the game are based on genuine dislike. God knows there's enough to dislike about it!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I thought Cobbett's latest RPG editorial on RPS was pretty average. The one about game length and shitty game intros.

Crooked Bee

Patron
I thought Cobbett's latest RPG editorial on RPS was pretty average. The one about game length and shitty game intros.

Not all of Cobbett's articles are made equal, obviously. He's just the most legitimately knowledgeable reviewer around, is all.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Bee has had a soft spot for Cobbett ever since the...drunken Twitter incident. :P

Back in my day, we didn’t need Twitter to get drunk.

God knows there's enough to dislike about it!

Come on, man, you’re going to end up like Herman Melville: he couldn’t handle the negative criticism of Moby Dick and retired from writing novels. In the end we all lost because of it.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I wouldn't worry about that: suffering from impostor syndrome* in all other walks of my life hasn't held me back any. (* To paraphrase Joseph Heller, just because I suffer from impostor syndrome doesn't mean I'm not actually worthless!) In any event, I've been working on games non-stop since Primordia

tuluse

Arcane
Gragt Maybe, though John Scalzi was nice enough to let us be the first (only?) game on which he ran a Big Idea post. Partly because of a more-than-healthy level of self-loathing and partly because I believe most people to be sincere, I am inclined to assume that criticisms of the game are based on genuine dislike. God knows there's enough to dislike about it!
I don't think anyone is suggesting insincerity, we're suggesting arbitrary, capricious, and ultimately stupid criteria for forming the opinion in the first place.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Given that I form opinions on completely arbitrary, capricious, and stupid bases myself, I can hardly get on too high a horse. :) (There is little in life more satisfying than when I dislike something for an outrageous reason, and then after the fact I find some justifiable reason, such that I can say, "I was right all along! It turns out that guy with the weird hairline is a bully, so it's totally fine that I didn't like him because of his hairline!")

tuluse

Arcane
Given that I form opinions on completely arbitrary, capricious, and stupid bases myself, I can hardly get on too high a horse. :) (There is little in life more satisfying than when I dislike something for an outrageous reason, and then after the fact I find some justifiable reason, such that I can say, "I was right all along! It turns out that guy with the weird hairline is a bully, so it's totally fine that I didn't like him because of his hairline!")
What is internet anonymity for if not to cast judgement on others? :)

Turjan

Arcane
pippin Steam will almost always outsell GOG. Also, since Bundle sales tend to get reported as Steam sales, that further amplifies the effect. It is not 9 to 1, though. GOG performed pleasantly well compared to Steam for Primordia.
I must admit that I have the game from the Groupees bundle. This makes me part of the Steam statistics. This also gave me a DRM-free copy of the game, so I did not see any reason to buy it again on gog.com. I think it was released there later? I'll certainly tell people that it's a great game, so there's your word-of-mouth hypothesis in action.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
GOG and Steam releases were simultaneous; I want to say that the Groupees bundle was nine months after release or so. But yeah, to me, word of mouth from a happy fan matters much more to me than the income differential between a bundle sale and a full-price sale. :)

Don Peste

Arcane
Half-Life 3 confirmed!!
:yeah:

WWW.HALFLIFE.COM
CCKtr69W8AExCD0.jpg

DramaticPopcorn

Huh? Webpage unavailable...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom