Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've already played Black Mesa, found it alright.

The reason I'm asking is because I own an old compilation that includes all the Sierra published Half-Life titles (the "Generations" pack) and was wondering if I could be considered "sorted out" with that alone.

They should work on modern OS's, so I should be good...right?
I think Valve has done work since then to support widescreen and higher resolutions better. They've also ported it to MacOS and Linux (probably doesn't matter to you), I'm not sure about 64bit Windows with original copies.

You should be able to redeem your CD versions on steam though.

A horse of course

If you just want to play the originals, pretty much afaik. On the other hand, my understanding is that the steam versions switched to a new file system which forced mods to be repackaged in order to work properly (although this may have only been the case with HL2 and other Source games). So whilst there were obviously lots of mods made to work with the original versions, newer ones MIGHT have been converted to steam and MAY require either minor tinkering (pointing the installer at a different folder) or a more substantial effort (repackaging the files).

edit: tuloser made good points

Astral Rag

Arcane
Unkillable Cat, I just replayed HL1 + both expansions (Steam versions), the original game and Blue Shift worked perfect, I didn't have to tweak anything, all 3 games support 16:9 resolutions out of the box.

I did encounter some annoying problems when playing through Opposing Force:
-A scripting problem with the AI medic in the Friendly Fire mission, AI worked properly after restarting the level.
-PC got stuck in several elevators, I had to reload a QS and noclip through these sections, very annoying problem.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You should be able to redeem your CD versions on steam though.

I tried that back when I signed on to Steam. Didn't work. Ended up buying Half-Life 1 (+ mods) there during a sale.

With this collection I seem to be sorted when it comes to playing vanilla HL1 outside of Steam, but otherwise I seem to be good with the Steam version.

And seeing Astral Rag's post, I seem to be doubly covered. :)

Thanks for the replies, Brofists dispensed.

A horse of course

-PC got stuck in several elevators, I had to reload a QS and noclip through these sections, very annoying problem.
[/spoiler]

Yes, I ran into this problem quite frequently when I replayed the series + mods a year or two ago.

btw Unkillable Cunt if you're interested in the mods you might want to check my posts in the screenshot thread and see if anything catches your eye. I did a mod marathon, with a particular focus on slightly more recent mods made in the 00s and later.

Caim

Arcane
Now all he needs to do is lose weight, dye his hair, wear glasses and he is Gordon Freeman.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Gabe continues to metamorphose.

http://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-pc-gaming-communities-are-keeping-games-alive/

Maximum PC, our sister publication, sat down with Valve founder and Steam overlord Gabe Newell at GDC to talk about Steam Machines, Source 2, and the growth of the PC gaming market. Newell dropped a ton of great information, but it all starts with this humble introduction: “My name is Gabe Newell, I work at Valve.” Adorable.

Newell first laid down some amazing data: Steam has grown 50% year over year, and $57 million has been paid to content creators since Steam Workshop was introduced. Those two facts show why Valve thinks it’s such a safe bet to release Source 2 for free. For Valve, no barrier to entry means more users coming to Steam, and more cash flowing through the Steam storefront.

“Source 2 is going to be free,” Newell said. “Anyone who sees it as a valuable tool for developing a new game and shipping it, there’s no license fee, there’s no royalty, they’re free to use it.”

He also announced a release date for Steam Machines to hit retail: “Steam Machines will be coming this November at good, better, and best price points.” Valve will also be debuting Link, a device that lets gamers stream from any Steam Machine, PC, Linux, or Mac system to any TV. The interview team got to play with a Steam Controller, checking out a pre-alpha build of Unreal Tournament and last year’s Talos Principle.

Finally, Newell gave the first look at Valve VR, pivoting off of System Shock 2. Fifteen years ago, developer Looking Glass included a look at their vision for virtual reality. “Even though... Looking Glass is no more, you’re still playing it as a PC Gamer using Link and you’re using a Steam controller. What’s cool to us... is that this is a game that is being kept alive by its community. If you can keep an entire game alive just because of the contributions of the community, that’s a way of getting people outside of the PC gaming space to marvel at our focus on user-generated content.”

Interestingly timed Looking Glass/SS2 reference.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
tuluse Ed123 Astral Rag

A short follow-up on my Half-Life questions. While going through my stuff I found 3 CD's that contain HL-related stuff.

The first one appears to be a bootleg CD that contains HL1 + the mod Conundrum.
The second one also appears to be a bootleg CD that contains HL1 + the mod USS Dark Star.
The third CD is the most interesting one. It appears to b a promotional CD for Half-Life called "Further Data" that's an audio/data CD. It contains the Uplink demo, plus other extra goodies. HOWEVER, the CD cover says "Further Date" and the text "Not for the faint-hearted" on the front, making me think this is some kind of bootleg copy...of a promotional CD.

The Dark Star mod at least is available online, but can any of you shed more light on this? Is Conundrum available online as well? And what's with that Further Date disc?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't have much knowledge of HL mods, sorry.

A quick google search for half-life conundrum brings up results though.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I don't have much knowledge of HL mods, sorry.

Same here.

google to the rescue:
http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Half-Life:_Further_Data
http://hl.webz.cz/hl1/eng.php?what=rec&zkratka=co

Further Data looks interesting indeed.
It contains those weird Cannibal character models:
fdmodels.jpg

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
tuluse Ed123 Astral Rag

A short follow-up on my Half-Life questions. While going through my stuff I found 3 CD's that contain HL-related stuff.

The first one appears to be a bootleg CD that contains HL1 + the mod Conundrum.
The second one also appears to be a bootleg CD that contains HL1 + the mod USS Dark Star.
The third CD is the most interesting one. It appears to b a promotional CD for Half-Life called "Further Data" that's an audio/data CD. It contains the Uplink demo, plus other extra goodies. HOWEVER, the CD cover says "Further Date" and the text "Not for the faint-hearted" on the front, making me think this is some kind of bootleg copy...of a promotional CD.

The Dark Star mod at least is available online, but can any of you shed more light on this? Is Conundrum available online as well? And what's with that Further Date disc?

I have most of the HL mods downloaded and burnt on DVD. Probably 90 % of the most interesting one. I'll look for it and make a new thread in gg for convenience.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I have most of the HL mods downloaded and burnt on DVD. Probably 90 % of the most interesting one. I'll look for it and make a new thread in gg for convenience.

While I appreciate the gesture, it's not needed. After further online sleuthing I found out that all four discs (the aforementioned three, plus an Opposing Force disc) are all bootlegs, probably from Indonesia.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
a12.jpg

But all joking aside - he offered to do it for me, and I only turned it down for my sake, not everyone else's. I'm currently engaged in some sleuthing work that may benefit the Codex community, and was looking for those quick 'n' easy 'Codex consensus' answers that many seem to prize so much. I appreciate his gesture, but at the end of the day I can only speak for myself.

If there's a group of people here on the Codex that wants to know this so badly, then each and every one of you ask Ninja Destroyer to spill the beans, but do so nicely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom