Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Jan 14, 2012.

1. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Click here and disable ads!
    Villain, there are not as many antiHL posts really as antihipster posts because HL certainly isn't some crap. However it isn't a majestic breakthrough either.

It's like Apple PCs - first they were good and then hipsters turned them into shit.
    Twinkle and Phelot Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  2. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    The one thing that I really admired about HL at the time besides the level design was the fact that there were two enemy forces to contend with who also fought each other.
    Cloaked Figure Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  3. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Yeah, and then Halo did it better :troll:
    ^ Top  
  4. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Angthoron
    Yeah, pretty much.

I liked that too. Unfortunately it was also a little too scripted, but still, quite enjoyable. Any game with three-way action can be very enjoyable just because of it being three-way.
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    "I liked Half Life before it was popular. FUCK THOSE HIPSTERS"
    Cloaked Figure Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  6. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    The point is something more like that a single game from the past gets hyped beyond reason, new generations who couldn't possibly be bothered check any game older than three years hear about this mythical game, play it and are surprised that there is practically no difference between a NEXT-GEN(TR) MODERN(TR) contemporary title and this ancient title from 10+ years ago and they go "OMG SO BEYOND ITS TIME I SEE NOW THAT IT SET THE STANDARDS FOR FUTUR!".
    ^ Top  
  7. Spellcaster Arcane

Spellcaster
    Anyone praising HL1, especially its combats, should replay it ASAP. Nothing like refreshing your memory. AI is so bad, you can kill all enemies in the game by shooting from two steps behing the line in the map where their combat script is triggered, and they never react if you shoot them from a place where they can't see you. Also, there is no difference between shooting them in the head or the leg. About the so called brilliant level design, let's see if you'll stand by your words once you replay the rail cart segment, which takes a fucking century to end and it's atrociously bad.

There's also Xen, one of the worst ending segments I've ever seen in all these years playing games, especially if you compare it with T:TDP's Maw of Chaos, which tried exactly the same trick (end the game in a tense alien environment) but succeeds greatly while Xen is pure garbage. Endless filler encounters with the flying Gandhi aliens, horrible level design, etc. In fact, the whole Lambda laboratory is like that too.

Still, the game has its merits, mainly because of the good chapters, like the canyon, the "industrial" segments and some others. Same could be said about HL2 and the episodes. Valve decided they'll explore the diversity aspect of shooters, so with each level you're presented with some new things. I'd call the series "situation-based shooters". Now you're in some sewers trying to escape the city, then you get a boat that makes for "chase" and shooting segments. Then you arrive at your destination and need to go through a "survival horror lite" part in an abandoned town, and when you escape, there's the car segment, the "use your alien minions to break inside the prison" segment, the city wars segment... it's always like that in every game with Half Life in its title. In a structure like that, it's not the mechanics themselves that will make or break the game, but how many of said situations you'll gonna like or not. Again I have to mention Thief TDP, because the exact same can be said about it, I have friends that love the game's mechanics but can't stand the many monsters-based levels, therefore they just stick with the Metal Age and the FMs. With diversity comes this kind of risk.

At this point some people would quote me to call bullshit because "this is a shooter so if the players aren't enjoying a shooter for the shooting mechanics there must be something wrong and HL sucks and blabla". Yeah, mr. "I like Fallout even though the combat sucks". Ok, mr. "I like Arcanum even though the combat sucks". I got it, mr. "The Glow is the best dungeon ever because it's so damn atmospheric". Understood, mr. "PS:T is one of the best cRPG ever because the story and writing are great".
    DwarvenFood, Mangoose, meh and 9 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  8. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Oh, yes, quite clear mr. "I think HL1 is a subpar game because it doesnt exhibit all the features of modern shooters, especially some that took direct inspiration from it - and because its possible to find a couple of exploits!"

You guys are so fucking dumb that im reading these answers and i just dont know what could be possibly said to you fucks. Youre all just a bunch of incredibly stupid morons.
    How many of you even know what games inspired HL1 especially, in terms of gameplay?

And since you are so retarded now you dont have any option but to just assume i think HL is totally majestic and super duper perfectly awesome.
    ^ Top  
  9. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    HL is literally Quake with cutscenes. Same engine even. Relax, CoD kid poseur.
    Thanks to you we now know that HL is special because it basically gave birth to Call of Duty

That very much explains it.
    ^ Top  
  10. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    ah fuck off shithead newfag
    ^ Top  
  11. SoupNazi Prophet Patron

SoupNazi
    Serpent in the Staglands
    Hey Hiver, I thought you didn't care about if people disagree? Why are you still arguing then? Why don't you go whiteknight some internet chick with magical left-hand friends while wishing you were even remotely as cool as them?
    ^ Top  
  12. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Whatever did happen to hiver? I don't remember him being so full of rage a month ago.
    ^ Top  
  13. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    What's wrong, Hiver? Why fail your reading comprehension? Got a problem?

By the way, if you haven't played They Hunger for HL, go and play it now. Brilliant mod that's almost a full game unto itself and it packs some serious professional grade content now and then.
    ^ Top  
  14. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    As a fellow Bungie fanboi, what do you think of Halo's story? Does it tie in with Marathon beyond a few homages?

For the most part, I was completely put off by Halo, never played it and from what I saw of it, I was happy that I didn't. Bungie getting bought by Microsoft caused me massive bleeding butthurt and the company that emerged from it doesn't appear to be the same.
    ^ Top  
  15. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    Didn't Bungie make Oni before that?
    ^ Top  
  16. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    Yes. I believe Halo was their first game under Microsoft and it was suppose to be one of the exclusives for XBox or something.
    ^ Top  
  17. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    I watched some Bungie documentary dealie on Halo and it's pretty safe to say Microsoft saved that project. Bungie had no clue what they wanted to do with it. End result wasn't great but it didn't join Grimoire in vaporware heavan.
    ^ Top  
  18. The Boring Incarnation Educated

The Boring Incarnation
    Wasn't it supposed to be an RTS?
    ^ Top  
  19. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    Third Person adventure game.
    ^ Top  
  20. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    It was strongly implied they were part of the same universe.

http://halostory.bungie.org/marathon.html

Honestly I lost interest in the RAMPANT speculation around Halo 2 or so. Even if Bungie originally planned for it to all tie together in the way Pathways/Marathon did, there were so many canonical merchandizing tie-ins that it would've been impossible for the writers to retain a sufficient level of creative control over the setting. Besides, what's left of the studio don't own the IP anymore.

As for the game itself, I thoroughly enjoyed it on Heroic/Legendary. At that level it's pretty tactically-minded for a straight FPS, not to mention highly atmospheric. The Covenant felt genuinely alien and menacing. The sequels mostly fucked up the mechanics with jetpacks, dual-wielding & lulzy, unbalanced weapons like automatic mortars and half-a-dozen different sniper rifles. 2 and 3 are pretty fun with a BRO, however - particularly the Scarab battles in 3. ODST and Reach are shit. I dunno if I'd recommend playing the HD REMAKE that came out a few months ago, as the new graphics appear to have fucked up the art direction and I'm unaware of whether the gameplay is functionally identical to CE or not. Also I just can't take the setting seriously anymore.

Oni was originally a Bungie title, but was sold to Take 2 (relatively) late in development. I'm not really familiar with its development beyond those facts. I know it had quite a bit of shit cut and/or re-arranged, which is why it feels a little bare-bones for such a lengthy game.

It was originally designed as an RTS with mechanics unique to the setting, then it evolved into the form we're all familiar with from the Mac trailers - and the rest is history.
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    How can you talk so much about Bungie and not mention Myth :rpgcodex:
    Also, wasn't this thread about Half-Life
    ^ Top  
  22. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    We're talking about developers who actually had a shred of talent at some point in their existence. :smug:

Huh, Myth? You mean....

:troll:
    ^ Top  
  23. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    What's funny is that after Infinity pretty much everyone at Bungie felt they had concluded the series and wanted to do something different. Besides that, Greg Kirkpatrick left and he pretty much wrote the entire Marathon universe or at least Infinity. I wonder what he's up to now?

I always liked Bungie for having fun with their lore and keeping things vague and fun, but still serious enough not to be a complete joke. The tie ins with PiD and Marathon seem kind of stretched. I suspect they simply reused cool names, but just went with it. It's fun thinking that the player in Marathon is using tech the "ancient" US government got from some alien race called the Jjaro back in the 1990's (I like picturing Bill Clinton watching an alien hologram while getting a BJ from Monica :lol: ) in which they had to put to sleep a dreaming alien god.

Anyway, here is a link to a retrospective on Infinity and here is Randy Reddig's little reaction to it, in case anyone is interested. Reddig did a lot of the levels for Infinity and went on to work on a few other games.
    ^ Top  
  24. Phelot Arcane

Phelot

Begone with thee! Actually, from what I've heard 3 isn't so bad, but 1 and 2 are great games. Pretty cool how a company can go from making FPS to a RTS and pull both of them off.
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Myth is more of a proto-Total War tactical battle game than an RTS.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)