Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ultimate List of Arcanum's Easter Eggs

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Around a week ago I decided to make the definite compilation of all Easter eggs and pop-culture references found in Arcanum, since it turned out nobody ever bothered to make one. And here it finally is. Some of the things mentioned in this article could be common knowledge, some are rare, and some were never seen before. This isn't a complete list, however, it's obvious that there will be new additions, so I encourage everyone to contribute by sending me their finds.

Have a good read!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Cool stuff, I already got a few but I ignore some, especially those in reference to pictures. Overal way more subtle than Fallout 2.

MetalCraze

Arcane
HUM4.png

John Brown Gordon (February 6, 1832 – January 9, 1904) was one of Robert E. Lee's most trusted Confederate generals during the American Civil War. After the war, he was a strong opponent of Reconstruction and is thought by some to have been the titular leader of the Ku Klux Klan in Georgia during the late 1860s.

A key to understanding Lyric Suite

- Professor Aldous Hunley of Vendigroth (mentioned in the newspapers), who created a fully submersible watercraft (you can find it washed on the beach on the Isle of Despair), is named after Horace Lawson Hunley, a marine engineer during the American Civil War, whose vessel also sank, killing him.
Could it also be a reference to Aldous Huxley? Any connection between Brave New World and Arcanum?

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
The Vanished One said:
- Professor Aldous Hunley of Vendigroth (mentioned in the newspapers), who created a fully submersible watercraft (you can find it washed on the beach on the Isle of Despair), is named after Horace Lawson Hunley, a marine engineer during the American Civil War, whose vessel also sank, killing him.
Could it also be a reference to Aldous Huxley? Any connection between Brave New World and Arcanum?

Come to think of it the test tube created citizens and caste system of Brave New World seem similar to the Ogre quest in Arcanum. Actually the Isle of Despair also might have some connection, if I remember correctly one the characters of Brave New World is exiled to a savage reserve for questioning BNW's society too much. Any connection with the ogre?

Texas Red

Whiner
Wilco said:
The Vanished One said:

Come to think of it the test tube created citizens and caste system of Brave New World seem similar to the Ogre quest in Arcanum. Actually the Isle of Despair also might have some connection, if I remember correctly one the characters of Brave New World is exiled to a savage reserve for questioning BNW's society too much. Any connection with the ogre?

The ogre is a race of strong but intellectually inferior humanoids.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
MetalCraze said:
HUM4.png

John Brown Gordon (February 6, 1832 – January 9, 1904) was one of Robert E. Lee's most trusted Confederate generals during the American Civil War. After the war, he was a strong opponent of Reconstruction and is thought by some to have been the titular leader of the Ku Klux Klan in Georgia during the late 1860s.

A key to understanding Lyric Suite

:lol:

crakkie

Arcane
I always thought it was a weird coincidence that Franklin Payne looked like Daniel Day Lewis.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
NPCFrank.png

It always annoyed me that I couldn't choose that portrait for my own character. :(

Great list, Drog, a lot of those I missed.

By the way, maybe I'm mistaken since it's been years since I last watched that show and don't remember all the details about its story, but I believe the Siamese Twins quest arc was a reference to the X-Files show. Both involved a huge government conspiracy that involved kidnapping people to produce soldiers, and a major theme in both was trying to find the truth (and in the ending to both you never get it, but instead only left with bits and pieces to make of it what you will).

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
God I wish I could've used 2D portraits in my stuff. I love the Arcanum ones.

Also apparently there WERE Bloodlines developer quotes - Troika tradition - but Activision wouldn't let them get put in the game. :evil: This is sad. Devs are always the funniest when they are in that kind of slap-happy crunchtime "fuck goddammit is this game DONE YET" mode. Hee.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Added a few more references and a large section dedicated to the epitaphs found in Arcanum's cemeteries.

Annie Carlson said:
Also apparently there WERE Bloodlines developer quotes - Troika tradition - but Activision wouldn't let them get put in the game.
Interesting. Is that a rumor, or did you hear that from a Troika developer?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom