Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Why am I laughing myself silly trying to imagine the Dr. SBAITSO program speaking the intro lines to UUW1?

wildh0rse

Literate
Lakshi knows nothing about the note, it appears. If you ask about the Knights, he says they talk a lot but dont fight - lmao - and he warns you about Roderick ("nasty knight"). He knows about Sethar and Lakshi too.

I have hacked into the central chamber on each level and found nothing, either.

Here is a list of the best in slot items for UW2.

• helmets - Leather Cap of Missile Protection, Chain Cowl of Valor, helmet
  • chest - Leather Vest of Flameproof, leather vest, Mail Shirt, Breastplate
  • gloves - Plate Gauntlets of Missile Protection, Chain Gauntlets
  • shield - Buckler, Small Shield, jeweled shield
  • leggings - Chain Leggings, Plate Leggings
  • boots - Leather boots of Bouncing
  • rings - Regeneration, protection, poison resistance
  • swords - Jewelled Dagger, Shortsword, Broadsword, Jeweled Sword, Longsword of Stone Strike
  • axes - Hand Axe, Axe, Jeweled Axe, Jeweled Axe of Fire Doom
  • maces - Cudgel, mace, Jeweled Mace, Jeweled Mace of Undead Bane
All items have special properties, protection, or damage. Different types were left for weight or roleplaying. The boots of bouncing are annoying to wear fulltime so just use whatever. You can get a Jeweled Sword of Major Damage early on that allows you to take out most enemies without any skill investments in attack or swords. The Longsword of Stone Strike is ridiculous, because an enemy cannot fight back once hit unless they are undead.

There are no boots with a protection enchantment in UW2. Enchant will only add toughness (worthless) and accuracy (likely worse than damage) to items without an existing enchantment. Fraznium items and the Crudgel of Entry were left out, because they are basically keys.

I went online and found a list to check and see if I got all the loot and wasted a lot of time. I think the Plate Boots of Unsurpassed Protection listed in Level 3 of the Tomb of Praecor Loth are supposed to be Unsurpassed Toughness since it is missing from the list and the lettering would place it nearby.

Last edited:

wildh0rse

Literate
All items have special properties, protection, or damage. Different types were left for weight or roleplaying. The boots of bouncing are annoying to wear fulltime so just use whatever. You can get a Jeweled Sword of Major Damage early on that allows you to take out most enemies without any skill investments in attack or swords. The Longsword of Stone Strike is ridiculous, because an enemy cannot fight back once hit unless they are undead.

There are no boots with a protection enchantment in UW2. Enchant will only add toughness (worthless) and accuracy (likely worse than damage) to items without an existing enchantment. Fraznium items and the Crudgel of Entry were left out, because they are basically keys.

That's not true. You can enchant with protection or toughness for armor (or rings or anything worn) and accuracy or damage for weapons.

The boots of bouncing are only useful if you want to get through the academy vault (to where the Vas/Tym runes are and the Axe of Fire Doom) but Levitate works better and you don't have to aim your jumps. It's pointless to carry a whole other pair of boots.

I dont bother with the Sword of Stone Strike anymore, its a novelty. I like the Axe of Life Stealing but I am always too lazy to look for it in that silly stick maze.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The Jewelled Axe of Fire Doom is a VERY powerful melee weapon, but the extra fireball effect can kill those that shouldn't die and destroy nearby items. I found this out the hard way when I first entered the Pits of Carnage and Krilner challenged me to a fight. I swung the axe, he yielded and we had the conversation as normal, It was only after the conversation ended that the fireball kicked in. Krilner was reduced to a puddle of blood and his meager belongings to piles of ash.

I think that the Chain cowl of Valor is the most powerful headgear around. Besides, there are other ways to gain Missile Protection.

I've also realized that my further "experiments" in UW2 never amounted to anything, it took me longer to get accustomed to Win7 than I thought, and this got lost somewhere along the way.

The bouncing boots are good for when you need to drop from a height you don't have enough acrobatics to handle. It's more of a pain than it's worth though.

I didn't know about the Axe of Life Stealing. Hp stealing is okay but for opponents that are not resistant to fire, the Jewelled Axe of Fire Doom works so much better. It kills in half the time or maybe less compared to other weapons.

Missile Protection is pretty crappy in both games. You could use it vs the guy with the blackrock gem in the Pits of Carnage if you stay at range. I can't think of any other situation where it is useful, and you can bypass fighting him. Enemy ai is really stupid. Ranged based enemies will not used their ranged attacks if you are close.

I always wear the Chain Cowl of Valor. You get it in the beginning if you have 15 mana and can cast 3rd level spells (or find a water walk scroll, but I can't remember if there are any that early).

That's not true. You can enchant with protection or toughness for armor (or rings or anything worn) and accuracy or damage for weapons.

Please tell me how to add protection or damage to items that do not already have it. Every enchant to mundane items ends up with toughness or accuracy.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Here is a list of the best in slot items for UW2.
Great list though I don't fully agree with it. If the jeweled sword you mentioned is the one hidden by the reaper in the Britannia sewers, it has an enchantment (Major Damage I think), and I do believe it's the best weapon in the game because you can get it so early if you know it's there. This alone makes it worth dumping all your weapon skill points into swords. Undead Bane is nice for the Tomb, but otherwise there aren't this many undead in the game. Fiery Doom has problems as UC mentions.

Fake edit: Just noticed I missed the bit about Major Damage in your post.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Please tell me how to add protection or damage to items that do not already have it. Every enchant to mundane items ends up with toughness or accuracy.

IIRC, it's all luck. Save the game, enchant the weapon, reload if you don't get the enchantment you wish.

You are right. It is just a much lower chance. I tested it ton of times before and it never worked. I wish I could delete the list. I guess they knew toughness and accuracy are crap and did it on purpose. They had a hard on for swords since Lobar is said to train you better than other trainers.

wildh0rse

Literate
You are right. It is just a much lower chance. I tested it ton of times before and it never worked. I wish I could delete the list. I guess they knew toughness and accuracy are crap and did it on purpose. They had a hard on for swords since Lobar is said to train you better than other trainers.
I wonder if the Casting skill influences this.

wildh0rse

Literate
Lobar gives a one point BONUS per session :-D He is the best trainer in the game.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
What a game(s) Unkillable Cat, that bit about the NPC burning up after conversation is awesome. :love:

wildh0rse

Literate
Haha every time I get to the Piys for the first time I think, "Oh no, not THIS guy..."

Of course I did not have the Axe of Fire Doom.

I just did the thing on L4 of the sewers where you kill all the green worms and are dubbed "Wyrmguard", LMAO.

I forget, what is it you have to specifically say to the goblin to get the Tracking training and then the Order Serpent?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
IIRC, you have to talk to him about the goblins tresspassing in the area or explaining their presence in the sewers. Most players shun those options because they impliy hostilities, but they don't.

As for getting the blackrock serpent, I think you just ask them about news or somesuch at a late point in the game.

wildh0rse

Literate
Well, I am stumped on this one. I have two saves, both late game. I had already slain the bloodworms, done everything except the end game in the castle, and the goblin won't give me one.

In the other, there were a few left to kill so I did. The first conversation made me a "Wormslayer" and got me an "almost fresh fish" lol. The next got me the statue. Anyone? What did I not do in that first save? Do I have to barter for food with the other gob? Wierd.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm not 100% certain about this, but I got the "wormslayer" title in the same game that I got the blackrock statue AND I recall bartering with at least one of the goblins for some gear.

wildh0rse

Literate
Hmmmm. I bartered with both goblins; Gave the dripper some ale etc. All I get from the other gob is the offer for track. I think I bound the air demon. I will investigate......

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Judging by the data at hand, you won't be able to access the last two worlds. Assuming that this is incorrect, then Nystul won't ask you some important questions towards the end, and the game will be stuck.

At any rate you'll have to find a way to contain a hostile entity within the castle. Spiking a door may be the only possible way to do so.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Hmmmm. I bartered with both goblins; Gave the dripper some ale etc. All I get from the other gob is the offer for track.
I remember someone getting the branch about the serpent after agreeing to be taught tracking, try that.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
That's one of the reasons why I believe UW2 is inferior to UW1: The plot is on-rails and you have to stop at every plot checkpoint in order to beat the game.

UW1, by contrast, forced you to find 8 items and kill a wizard, but you're free to do this in any order.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom