Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hmm. I'm starting to get the "Underworld internal error. Problem in item list." message now and again when I go between levels. This is different from the other error I got with the unpatched UUW games, where I was prompted whether I wanted to continue or not. No problems detected so far, and I keep the plot-vital items seperate, within my sight and outside of containers, just in case.

I'm down to level 4, and I had a look at the pool area that frequently gets mentioned. Except for being a good source of fish, there are three things of note here:

# A locked chest containing some gold, the Corp and Grav runes and a (still unidentified) wand.

# A Deep Lurker, the first one you encounter in the Abyss. These things are tougher than they look, and their poisonous bite hurts a lot, and the poison even more so. Fortunately it's mellow.

# A magical chainmail in excellent condition. I've yet to identify it, but it can't be bad.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
You always get that error regardless of version after changing levels or loading a save at some point, but as long as your UUW is patched or the CD-ROM version you should have no issues.

Deep Lurkers aren't that tough...but then again the avatar, valorous and honorable as he is, just keeps going back and forward on the shore while stabbing them in the face giving them no chance to retaliate.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You always get that error regardless of version after changing levels or loading a save at some point, but as long as your UUW is patched or the CD-ROM version you should have no issues.

I never got any error messages on my last playthrough of UU1 (GOG version) last year.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Then you were lucky. I played the same version and had the error:

hqMk4G.png

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I learned to stop messing with some of the deep lurkers because of my lighter armor and their penchant for poisoning. I tried killing them from a distance, but it was less frustrating and less time consuming to just swim on by them. I learned if you move fast enough they are a non-factor. Those effin' fire elementals and beholders who attack from range on the other hand... I go out of my way to hunt them down and kill them on sight.

To answer a previous quetion, casting resist fire allowed me to hunt the elementals easily enough. After spending too many hours getting the Cup of Wisdom the rest of the game is going fast again. I found that to be the toughest quest.

I had a yelling, rage inducing moment late last night. After I found a torch from the above levels, I remembered there was some incense down by where I killed the evil wizard. I used the incense I left next to where he was killed to get some visions of the cup and write down some notes. After I got the cup, I got curious about whether or not I would see a vision of other artifacts or the BBEG himself. So I went downstairs to the left over incense, clicked the torch, activated and moved it over, but in my rush and accidentally clicked on the upper center portion of my screen because of the mouse sensitivity. I watched as the lone torch flew into the air and disappeared over the ledge. I couldn't find it and so I think it fell into the lava. I hadn't saved in 40 minutes...

:rage:

Anyway, I have no idea if you get any other visions from the incense after collecting all the artifacts. I think I have everything. Will give an update soon, I hope.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
But if you want to see some... interesting things, eat mushrooms.

Ignore toadstools, they only poison you.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Too late. Beat the game. :) As requested, I did try the Armageddon spell before the finale, once in front of the BBEG and the second when confronting him at his home. The first time, he is disappears along with everything else. So it has no overall effect on the game except to make it unbeatable. The second time it doesn't work at all. In fact, I'm not sure any of the magic functions. As for my impressions:

I'll start off with the bad, because there isn't much of it:
- Clunky UI: I liked the first person interface when you consider what 1st person RPGs looked like before 1992, but because such a game was new the controls seemed clunky and the UI was aggravating. If I used the look icon to view something, I had to put my weapon away. If something jumped out at me, it took some time for me to respond by entering into attack mode.
- Later game boredom: The dungeons were not easy to get around, especially towards the later levels. This was actually a huge plus in the beginning because it felt like a huge accomplishment to clear out enough of the level to take the next step down. It became frustrating towards the middle and end when you had to backtrack in order to complete puzzles you had previously skipped or because of the large amount of backtracking the later quests required. The moongate helped a little, but not enough. I started getting frustrated towards the end because I was spending most of my time walking around the empty, trash-strewn wasteland of passages I had previously cleared out, just so I could reread a clue or retalk to one particular NPC.
- Character skills: I went with the first character I had rolled up because what the hell. A 19 strength looked pretty good for a paladin, and I figured a 22 dexterity was also pretty solid. I didn't realize that a 19 strength was on the lower end of the totem pole, but still no big deal. I intended to play a melee/rogue hybrid anyway. So I had some points in lore, swimming, pick locks, charm and so on. By the end of the game I had 15 points into charm. All these skills were wasted. I'm glad I at least also loaded up on sword and attack and defense by mid-game. By the end I am also glad I loaded up on magic. I could hardly hit anything moving with ranged weapons and I gave up on offensive magic. The sword was, as predicted, the most important weapon skill in game. I never did try sheet lightning, though.

The good:
- Magic: The defensive and utility spells were great. I loved being able to fly, take a bird's eye view of the area, and walking on lava. I would buff up on my armor spells and fire protection so I could kill fire elementals, which were my most hated enemies. Open was also a useful spell, although I did get annoyed that it had no chance on working on so many doors. I really still love the rune system after all this time.
- So Much to Do: This game is packed with stuff. There were places I never did figure out how to access and quests I never did defeat, and that's after I beat tons of regular quests and sub-quests. Just when I thought I was coming up to the end, I found out there was more to do and more to explore. It's amazing to me that the writers had such great imaginations. I really want to know what their influences were. The last part of the game reminded me of Dr. Strange comics from the 80s.
- The BBEG: I'm not going to spoil who he is or what he does, but the final confrontation was perfect. I died going toe to toe against him, but figured out what I needed to do the second time around. He isn't used too much, and only alluded to briefly by some characters. Because he is used so sparingly and because you find out first hand how much of a threat he is, he is a villain that stays with you after the game is over.
- NPC Interactions: Maybe the best part of an already awesome game. Each group of people had their own personality and motivations, and if you understood them psychologically and tailored your responses appropriately you received different responses and overall reactions. Your choices mattered more than your skill in Charm, which means my character points were wasted, but the fact that every conversation felt like a puzzle game made me get over my butt hurt.
- Loot: I loved the fact that you start out with a puny weapon and little armor, while building up you arsenal slowly over time. At the end I did find more magical weapons and equipment, but the fun part of the beginning was trying to figure out what to carry and what to leave behind, especially for my middle-strength character. The ending falls apart in this regard, however, as there is so much gold around but very little to do with it.
- Flexibility: The puzzles I enjoyed the most had multiple ways in which to solve them. Although there were a few quests that were annoyingly complex and linear, there were more that had more than one solution and a few different clues in the ways to accomplish them. The bullfrog puzzle is a good example. I had trouble until I built up my magic and learned an alternate solution of solving it from an NPC.
- Quests Intersected: A number of seemingly unconnected quests ended up being connected because you would have to do one in order to solve a later one. This helped make the game feel like a complete whole and not just several separate levels.
- The Map: I can't decide whether or not the NPC interactions or the Map function is the best part of the game. My maps are covered with notes from '<--- Left Jewelled Sword here' to "Down, Level 8" to "Locked Door" to "Fishing Spot". I even used the empty section to the right to write notes specific to the level instead of on my notepad, like "Must rescue man's brother from prison this level". When I accomplished a task or finally opened a door, I could erase my note. Why don't more games use this?

I already created my Ultima Underworld 2 character. A fighter instead of a paladin, strength of 30, dex of 18 and intelligence of 12. Oh, and my skill points went into attack and defense instead of charm.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
- Clunky UI: I liked the first person interface when you consider what 1st person RPGs looked like before 1992, but because such a game was new the controls seemed clunky and the UI was aggravating. If I used the look icon to view something, I had to put my weapon away. If something jumped out at me, it took some time for me to respond by entering into attack mode.
You know you don't need to use any of the UI icons, right? Right click examines, right click hold and drag interacts and picks up, left click an item you carry to use or on your weapon to go in combat mode.

- The BBEG: I'm not going to spoil who he is or what he does, but the final confrontation was perfect. I died going toe to toe against him, but figured out what I needed to do the second time around. He isn't used too much, and only alluded to briefly by some characters. Because he is used so sparingly and because you find out first hand how much of a threat he is, he is a villain that stays with you after the game is over.
He stays with you because you need to destroy all the amulets you worked so hard to get to banish the fucker. :M

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Already into UUW2? Brilliant, you can go mushroom tripping there. You also get MORE ways to trip on drugs, and there's even a drug addict in UUW2! The potion bottles are now colour-coded for your convenience... now you only have to figure out what each colour stands for. ;-)

I completely agree with you on the UI and interface being clunky and the character creation overall needing an overhaul. While UUW2 improves the UI (and the graphics), the interface is unchanged and the same applies to the character creation process. Instead of chanting at shrines, you seek out trainers for your skills. To make things worse, some trainers come and go, confusing the situation further (Protip: Train Search early.) At least you get to see how many skill points you have in UUW2.

I didn't mind the backtracking much, as by the time you're running back and forth, everything that should stand in your way should be dead and gone, so it's just a case of running through empty passageways. You'll also be backtracking frequently in UUW2 from a certain location in the Britannian Sewers up to the castle, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Gold serves more of a purpose in UUW2 as inflation has caught up and things can cost as much as 100 gold. Shak the smith charges way too little for his services, I've started abusing him like an indentured servant because of this, he's ALWAYS fixing something for me.

One of my biggest peeves with UUW2 is one you'll spot early: The pacing. At the start of the game you have to pretty much talk to EVERYONE in the castle. That will take quite a while, and you'll be anxious to go do some exploring after you're finally talked everyone's ears off. Then you have to regularly check up on the inhabitants of the castle (fortunately you'll be pointed out who of them want to talk to you), which means running around and looking for them as some of them just LOVE to play Hide 'n' Seek.

If the people in the castle seem unfamiliar to you, go play Ultima VII. As has been said many times before, UUW2 is an interrim chapter between Ultima VII and Ultima VII: Part 2, and touches upon characters and events from those two games. You don't really need to have played them, though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

As Excidium said, you don't have to use the icons.
I completed both the UU games by 99% use of mouse only, and using the right mouse button to attack, look at things and use things.
I thought it was quite an elegant UI after I got used to it. Only flaw was having to use keys to look up and down.
For UU2 I strongly advice using the right mouse button instead of left clicking on the icons. It becomes second nature after a while, and is so much quicker than using the icons.

- Later game boredom: The dungeons were not easy to get around, especially towards the later levels. This was actually a huge plus in the beginning because it felt like a huge accomplishment to clear out enough of the level to take the next step down. It became frustrating towards the middle and end when you had to backtrack in order to complete puzzles you had previously skipped or because of the large amount of backtracking the later quests required. The moongate helped a little, but not enough. I started getting frustrated towards the end because I was spending most of my time walking around the empty, trash-strewn wasteland of passages I had previously cleared out, just so I could reread a clue or retalk to one particular NPC.

Yeah, the backtracking was for me the most annoying part of the game.
Personally I screenshot every single piece of dialogue. That way I don't have to keep notes or revisit NPCs so much.
Keeping notes will be even more important in UU2. Fortunately backtracking is quicker in UU2, though.
BTW, I hope you took a screenshot of your victory page and will share it with us?

I already created my Ultima Underworld 2 character. A fighter instead of a paladin, strength of 30, dex of 18 and intelligence of 12. Oh, and my skill points went into attack and defense instead of charm.

Magic is more important in UU2 than it was in UU1, so a Fighter will have a hard time, I think. I recommend learning repair skill so that you can repair your gear. Someone more heavy on the magic can use a spell to mend things, which is more reliable (the spell may backfire, but failure won't ruin the weapon or armour). Lockpicking may also be a good idea, since many massive doors have no keys.

Before playing UU2 you may want to read a summary or Let's Play of U7 part 1 if you haven't played it, since UU2 is not so much a sequel to UU1 than as a chapter in the U7 saga.
In UU2 there is a merchant who will recharge wands for you or identify items. Being a fighter certain wands will be very useful, and since there isn't much else on which to spend gold, the best use of it is to spend it on things you'd otherwise need precious mana or skill point for.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
# While the Lore skill works on all items that the Avatar looks at, it works best when the Avatar looks at items he has in his inventory. In other words, distance penalizes the skill.

I can confirm, though playtesting, that this is bogus. The Lore skill does not work on items that the Avatar is not holding in his inventory.

In other news, I'm now on Level 5, have reached Level 13 and have garnered enough magic items and raised skills so that nothing I've encountered can stand against me. Sir Rodrick went down in 3 hits, and I 'only' had a Broadsword.

Which got me thinking... exactly whom are you required to kill to complete the game? Sir Rodrick, of course, in order to get one of the Talismans, but the only other one I can think of is Tyball, and I'm not even 100% certain of that. You have to fight a golem to get another Talisman, but you don't have to (or are unable to) kill him. I'm wondering how much of a 'pacifist' playstyle is possible in UUW1. Just dodge or avoid monsters, go straight for the needed items and use meta-knowledge to skip needless parts of the game.

Would be an interesting playthrough, to say the least.

EDIT:
That magical chainshirt I found? Missile Protection. Wonder if that counts against spell projectiles as well.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Which got me thinking... exactly whom are you required to kill to complete the game? Sir Rodrick, of course, in order to get one of the Talismans, but the only other one I can think of is Tyball, and I'm not even 100% certain of that. You have to fight a golem to get another Talisman, but you don't have to (or are unable to) kill him. I'm wondering how much of a 'pacifist' playstyle is possible in UUW1. Just dodge or avoid monsters, go straight for the needed items and use meta-knowledge to skip needless parts of the game.
The golem is unkillable (IIRC you have the option to continue fighting him after you beat him - it doesn't end well for you). You have to kill Tyball for a couple of reasons: to get magic back, and to get a required key from his corpse. You could skip the key if you could cast Open... which you can't until you kill him. Otherwise I believe everything other the Roderick is skippable. Ironically the most efficient way to get the Key of Courage is to, well, run through like a coward.

I think UW2 also has only 3 required kills: the Listener and Mors Gotha.
And Patterson.
I don't remember though, can you skip fighting Loth's 3 advisers? I know it is totally impossible to avoid combat with them, but I think you can run past them or something.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Here's my endgame screen for Ultima Underworld 1. After some consideration, I decided that this is the best game I've played in the last year, to include the Might and Magic series. I based it on an easy test. Which game would I rather start playing tomorrow with a new party or character. Might and Magic 1 was fun, but if I was to start a game all over it would be Ultima Underworld before the M&M games.

UU1.png

I said I wasted some points in Picklock, but it looks like I had a bad memory. I wasted points in repair, which I never used. Ultimately I found track, charm, and swimming to be useless. Repair and Missile and unarmed I never used. I had lore, but it never really told me anything about an item except a couple of times I found an object in my inventory to be magical. Maybe if I had more points.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
You have to kill Tyball for a couple of reasons: to get magic back, and to get a required key from his corpse. You could skip the key if you could cast Open... which you can't until you kill him. Otherwise I believe everything other the Roderick is skippable. Ironically the most efficient way to get the Key of Courage is to, well, run through like a coward.

I'm not sure if you have to kill Tyball at all. You don't have to kill Tyball to get magic back, just smash the orb. Once the orb is gone, Open will deal with the door. If Open doesn't deal with the door, then the only reason to kill Tyball would be to get the key for that door.

But what about springing Ariel? Doesn't that need a key? More importantly, does she need to be freed to be able to complete the game?

I think UW2 also has only 3 required kills: the Listener, Mors Gotha and X.

I don't remember though, can you skip fighting Loth's 3 advisers? I know it is totally impossible to avoid combat with them, but I think you can run past them or something.

The Ice Golem in Anudunos holds the key to the door behind it. Can the door be opened another way?

The Bliy Skup Ductosnore on Talorus must be killed to gain access to the Ductosnore chamber, which is the Guardian's point of power. Can you get close enough to sever the connection without killing the Ductosnore?

As for X, must he be killed? How about trapping him in a room by spiking the door?

So that's 2 confirmed kills, 3 possibles. Something to look into.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I had the idea from my playthoughs a decade ago that UU1 had many more secret doors that UU2 (and they were a great part of moving around the levels fast).

btw, you can run past the lich generals or use that limited fov teleport spell. I felt bad for them so did that last time.
There is also hidden stuff on that tomb i think i've never got too... on the ceiling or something, hadn't the fly spell yet.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
UU1.png

I said I wasted some points in Picklock, but it looks like I had a bad memory. I wasted points in repair, which I never used. Ultimately I found track, charm, and swimming to be useless. Repair and Missile and unarmed I never used. I had lore, but it never really told me anything about an item except a couple of times I found an object in my inventory to be magical. Maybe if I had more points.

IIRC, I have about 9 points in Swimming, which I later regretted because I'm Water Walking all over the Abyss once I got the Por stone on Level 2 (Hello Lurkers! SPLAT!). I put a few points into Acrobat, as it reduces damage you take when you fall and/or collide into things. Very useful when you have the Ring of Leap like I do. I currently have Lore at 26, and it's still only telling me that some things are magical. For those I use the Identify spell, or whatever it's called. I have about 9 points in Search to cover secret doors and switches. 15 points in Casting to prevent misfires, 13 in Mana (with more to come later) to boost my Mana amount (currently 35) and 19 in Attack & Defense and 20 in Sword. I was going to go Unarmed, until I dug up the stats for damage. Let's just say Fists = Bitchslaps.

And much to my surprise, I found a secret door in UUW1 I had never found before! I was rounding up some stuff I had left behind due to weight constraints, and found a secret door

in the pool area on Level 4, where the chest is, it is on the south wall. Inside is a scroll with the Fireball spell, a Longsword of Damage and a flute.

I've played this game to death, and I'm STILL finding new stuff! :-D

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I think all the dors in Anu can be Open-ed. Forgot about the Bliye, which is definitely required. So is X, plot won't advance until he/she/it is offed (one of the annoyances of UW2 compared to UW1 - script triggers that prevent the plot from progressing until you do something completely unrelated. The whole business with the Listener is the worst example).

And SCO thanks for confirming you can indeed get past the liches.

After some consideration, I decided that this is the best game I've played in the last year, to include the Might and Magic series. I based it on an easy test. Which game would I rather start playing tomorrow with a new party or character. Might and Magic 1 was fun, but if I was to start a game all over it would be Ultima Underworld before the M&M games.
As much as I love MM1, and as different as the games are, I also feel the same way about UW1.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
I explored thoroughly inside the encased castle and talked to everyone, I believe. Dupre is the best of the bunch, by far, although it was also good to see Iolo and Lord British. Julia and Geoffrey are as boring as always, but that's alright. One of the charms of the Ultima games is seeing old friends, whether quirky or plain. I went down to the basement (L2), but ran into a locked door. Dupre handed me a key to a metal door that lead to level 3, where I met Fissif. He might be a new favorite NPC. I got to the two nearby monsters that I can't get past, but I figure I'm not meant to pass by them yet, so I retreated back to the stairs to reconsider my options. So far the beginning was slow since you had to chat with quite a number of people, but that didn't bother me at all. It's good to be back in Britannia with my old comrades before Ultima 9 happened to the poor sods. If they only knew what a doomed future awaited them...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
UU 2 is harder than UU1 in the beginning, and you are definitely supposed to skip some encounters. When you see a trail of bones and broken weapons you know it leads to something a lvl 1 Avatar who has spent the last year getting drunk with Dupre can't handle yet.

A few points in Swimming is useful. Repair is useless since you find a smith, but the Avatar doesn't know that beforehand.
High Lore skill is essential IMO, as it saves you so much mana wasted with the Name Enchantment spell.

In UU2 the dynamics are a bit different. You may not find a smith, and there may be wands (that can be recharged for a fee) for most or all of your needs.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I think all the dors in Anu can be Open-ed. Forgot about the Bliye, which is definitely required. So is X, plot won't advance until he/she/it is offed (one of the annoyances of UW2 compared to UW1 - script triggers that prevent the plot from progressing until you do something completely unrelated. The whole business with the Listener is the worst example).

You're forgetting one problem with Anu, while it's possible (but unlikely) for the Avatar to have the required runes at that point, it's impossible that the Avatar will be high enough a level to cast Open at the door. 10th level is required. Playing a pacifist game, by definition, will leave the Avatar XP-starved. In UUW1 it's possible that non-combat XP will yield the required XP (or maybe the spell is on a scroll somewhere) but not in UUW2. For that matter, casting Portal to get past the Liches will be a bit of a stretch, but the 'Doorknocker' might do the job instead.

In other news, I found an interesting list for UUW2 that has all of the 'stats' for the monsters. The monster aptly named 'Destroyer' has almost all stats maxed out, so that one is not to be taken lightly, but what I found the most interesting were the 'Ears' and 'Eyes' stats. Going by 'Eyes', Gazers (and another similar unnamed creature) and Wizard Liches have 'Eyes' maxed out, mainly because they have deadly ranged attacks. Now we know why Spoony got creamed by a lightning bolt out of nowhere. Flesh Slugs and Vorz have the worst sight in the game, which is funny considering the Vorz. 'Ears' is far more interesting. Destroyers have both these stats maxed out, but except for the two species of Bats, most monsters have rather poor hearing, with Gazers being the only deaf creature on the list, and its unnamed cousin having only minimal hearing. The general rule is, the smaller the creature, the better hearing it has.

When it comes to poison, Morpheus (or whatever his name was) wins hands down, with Deep Lurkers and Despoilers taking second place. And according to this list, Fire Elementals are not immune to fire... something to research further.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm now Level 14 on the sixth floor, I've collected all 8 Talismans, angered Warren the spectre and found many things.

But I've also lost things. Twice now when I have dropped an item, it has simply disappeared. First it was a jeweled shield, then it was a backpack containing a few items. Nothing important... yet. :-/

press alt+f7 in-game to see which version it is. Most recent one I think is 1.94.

I tried this, but it doesn't work. Anyone know why?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
But I've also lost things. Twice now when I have dropped an item, it has simply disappeared. First it was a jeweled shield, then it was a backpack containing a few items. Nothing important... yet. :-/
This happened to me too. I think it just fell through the floor geometry or something.

I tried this, but it doesn't work. Anyone know why?
Are you using a custom dosbox build? It probably has something bound to alt+f7.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm using the Korean SVN-Daum build, which counts as a 'yes' to your question.

A boot from standard DOSBox gave me V1.94S as the version number. Jaesun had already confirmed this for me, but I wanted to be sure.

This is a serious detraction from playing the game, that game-crippling bugs are still ruining people's playthrough, more than 20 years after the game's release. :(

The thing is, I never encountered this error until I was using a computer that was more powerful than was ever conceived possible for the game. I last remember running into this bug using a P3 500 Mhz computer running Windows 98, but on my 386 40 Mhx DX machine I had no problems whatsoever.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
You have to kill Tyball for a couple of reasons: to get magic back, and to get a required key from his corpse. You could skip the key if you could cast Open... which you can't until you kill him. Otherwise I believe everything other the Roderick is skippable. Ironically the most efficient way to get the Key of Courage is to, well, run through like a coward.

Well, I had a chance to test this just now. I used the orb rock on the orb while Tyball was high as a kite and spewing lightning and fire at me. (Thank goodness I found that ring of Magic Protection or I'd be a pile of dust by now.) I cast Open to unlock the door leading to Level 8, the result being: 'The spell has no discernible effect.' Repeated castings changed nothing, the doors won't open. You HAVE to kill Tyball.

So far the princess is still locked up behind the portcullis, let's see if I have to save her to complete the game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom