Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Series Discussion Thread

What is your favorite Ultima game?

• Total voters

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
A flying monkey based loosely on the ones from The Wizard of Oz

Fucking mongbats, those assholes gave me a pretty good asswhoopin in the underworld of Ultma 5. I sneaked past them with invisibility rings like a little bitch wherever I could. How the hell are a bunch of flying monkeys one of the thoughest enemies in the game.

Keldryn

Arcane
The orc, unfortunately, is a little bland and generic. The only mildly unusual thing about him is the vaguely Roman leather armor he's wearing. That and his general state of cleanliness.

Also, something very familiar about that face... imagine it in red and without the hair and pointy ears...

14317321_1052888328093732_7090058476120400860_n.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
A flying monkey based loosely on the ones from The Wizard of Oz

Fucking mongbats, those assholes gave me a pretty good asswhoopin in the underworld of Ultma 5. I sneaked past them with invisibility rings like a little bitch wherever I could. How the hell are a bunch of flying monkeys one of the thoughest enemies in the game.

Confusion will be their epitaph.

pippin

http://ultimacodex.com/2016/09/joe-garrity-teases-a-lost-vale-diskette/

Joe Garrity Teases a Lost Vale Diskette

lost-vale-diskette-1024x653.jpg

Yes, your eyes do not deceive you; that’s a photograph of a 3.5″ diskette with Lost Vale written on it; it’s one of the more recent additions to Joe Garrity’s horde of treasures, otherwise known as the Origin Museum. And the good Mr. Garrity was quite giddy to share this find with the folks in the Big Box PC Game CollectorsFacebook group:

ULTIMA 8-THE LOST VALE

Is this for real?!–YES! (almost)

This is an actual disk, donated by Origin developer Sheri Graner Ray, which contains data from the legendary unreleased game. Unfortunately, it is not all of the game, just some of the UNK files used to create the character scripts. I’ve shown these files to a few experts (some EXULT members), in the hopes that I may have struck gold–alas, it was not meant to be, and there is not enough data to rebuild this lost treasure.

What it contains, however, is the only data ever recovered of The Lost Vale. It’s quite interesting, and one can examine the basic functions and actual dialog of characters who made up some of the plot of the game. I am planning on releasing the data in the near future, in hopes that people will be able to see what might have been. Special thanks to Sheri Graner Ray for donating the disk, and to Dino for the pics of the box.

As it happens, I’ve been talking with Joe about this; the material found on the diskette — which, I hasten to disclaim, isnot the full Lost Vale expansion, and is not in any way, shape, or form a complete executable — will be released via the Ultima Codex in the near future.

But first, I have some Arthurian Legends-related findings to share with you all, which I really need to get around to publishing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://ultimacodex.com/2016/09/a-hilarious-and-charming-origin-systems-customer-service-call/

A Hilarious and Charming Origin Systems Customer Service Call
BY WTF DRAGON · SEPTEMBER 15, 2016

origin-ccmail-fancy-1024x500.jpg

Who says every customer service call has to be a negative experience? I mean, okay, probably a lot of them are…but as this excerptfrom an email chain between Sheri Hobbs (now known as Sheri Graner Ray) and Rebecca Heidt (an Origin Systems customer service representative) demonstrates, not all of them have to be:

Date: 01/29/93 08:11 AM
Priority: Normal
TO: Sheri Hobbs
Subject: Re[2]: And now for a PHONE CALL
------------------------------- Message Contents -------------------------------
Yesterday was the WORST day I have had on the phone in a long time. I had
more than my usuall quota of BUTTHEADS. I mean downright RUDE people. So,
as you can imagine, this call made my day. Unfortunatly, I was so busy, I
did not get an address. I am sorry I didn't. We could make them The
Avatar's Honorary Grandparents or something. I'm sure a few of them would
also make GREAT NPC's in one of our games.

- Rebecca

What great fun! It's calls like these that must make all the Moses Bernards
worth it! Did you get an address? It would be fun to send this group some
posters or something!

-)---- SHERI ----(-

I got a call from an elderly gentleman today, he needed hints for U6. Then,
and elderly woman got on the phone, and she needed a hint for U4. Then, a
REALLY old guy, (He said he was 93!) got on the phone and wanted a hint for
WC2, SO1. ("Them blasted Neutron Guns! Those damn Cats are getting awful
Hi-Tech.") It turns out, this call was from a Retirement Center that had
PC's with CD ROM drives in the Recreation/Education Area. They were passing
the phone around, getting hints for our games. I talked to 8 of them,
total. After I talked to Mr.James (or 93 yr old Wing Fan.) They put me
on speaker phone. (They let the folks who were hard of hearing have the
handsets first, then switched to speaker.) They kept saying things like,
"Oh, I feel SO SILLY asking you this, but...." and "My mind must be going,
I JUST DON"T GET THIS, what do I do next?" They were SO CUTE! This one
older gal had a bad case of the giggles, when I told her she was being bad
when she stole things from NPC's. She said, "Well, I just don't get the
chance to BE BAD very often anymore!"

I really got the feeling that our games in some way contributed something to
these people's lives. There's a therapist who works there who is what sounds
like a pretty hardcore gamer, and "tech head", and he got them started on
our games. But, he is on vacation, and they needed hints NOW! As Mr. James
put it, "I dont know if I am going to BE HERE to finish this TOMMORROW, so
please excuse me if I am a little impatient for help with this darn thing."

They also wanted me to tell EVERYONE who works here "Hello", and THANKS for
giving them hours of fun! Because, as we all know.....

"BIG KIDS NEED TOYS TOO,
AND WE HAVENT OUTGROWN THE URGE TO PLAY YET!"
( I hope I feel the same way if I live to be 93.)

- Rebecca The Strange​

This was passed along to the Ultima Codex by — who else? — Joe Garrity of the Origin Museum; he sent it along with someArthurian Legends-related content that you should be getting a look at next week. You can grab a copy of the Word document from the Origin Gallery, if you like.

So, as always, a big thanks to Joe Garrity…and to Sheri Graner Ray, who passed this (and numerous other materials) on to him when they chanced to meet up earlier this year.

Comte

Another entry for my list of:

MAJOR MAGICAL WORKINGS AND INITIATIONS IN THE "ULTIMA" SERIES OF COMPUTER GAMES

Ultima VIII: Pagan (1994):

--Witness the Ceremony of Eternity and earn initiation into the Adepts of Earth, a necromantic occult society.

--Apprentice yourself to the necromancer Vividos.

-- Summon the shades of dead necromancers of epochs past, and learn their wisdom.

-- Speak to Lithios, Titan of Earth.

-- Inter the elder necromancer Lothian, elevating your master Vividos to leadership and yourself to pride of place at his right hand.

-- Travel as a pilgrim to the Birthplace of Moriens, a sacred site.

-- Commune with the Zealan Deities.

-- Grant peace to Kumash-Gor, an unquiet spirit.

-- Join the Adepts of Air, another occult society.

-- Hear Stratos, the Mystic Voice, and earn the Breath of Wind.

-- Free the bound Titan of Water, dooming the world to slow drowning.

-- Initiate into the ranks of the Adepts of Fire, slaying those who would stop you.

-- Summon the demon Arcadion and bend him once more to your will.

-- Participate in the Rite of Flame, bargaining with the Titan of Fire.

-- Murder your way to the rank of First Sorcerer, leader of the Adepts of Fire.

-- Assemble the blackrock “key of the world” from elements of earth, wind, water, and fire, and open the world of Pagan to the Void.

-- Slay the four Titans of Pagan and claim the office of Titan of Ether.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here it is: http://ultimacodex.com/2016/09/check-out-the-planned-introductory-sequence-for-arthurian-legends/

Check Out the Planned Introductory Sequence for Arthurian Legends
BY WTF DRAGON · SEPTEMBER 22, 2016

arthurian-legends-intro.jpg

Arthurian Legends was a cancelled project, briefly in development at Origin Systems. The idea for the game, which was co-designed by Sheri Hobbs(now Sheri Graner Ray) and Brian Martin, would have used the Ultima 7 engine to re-tell the legend of King Arthur. Although the game would have likely been released under the Worlds of Ultima brand, it doesn’t seem to have featured many (if any) of the trappings of the series.

Several design documents for the project were discovered on a diskette given to Joe Garrity by Sheri Graner Ray, which Joe then shared with us here at the Ultima Codex. The first of these, a Word document entitled INTRO.DOC, contains an outline of the planned opening of the game. Here’s a sample:

INTRODUCTION
INT – MACSEN’S TAVERN, 20 YEARS AND ONE DAY AFTER THIS GAME TAKES PLACE-NIGHT

A busy, prosperous tavern scene
An elderly man sitting in corner by fire plucking a mandolin.

JOEL THE BARD

So, come again, hast thou? Dost thou wish to hear another tale? Ye youngsters never can get enough of my tales of our good King Arthur can ye? Very well then, tonight I have a special tale. One that began twenty years and a day ago this night. On that particular night, a young fighter, much like thyself, came into this very tavern.​

And it goes from there. As always, download and enjoy this document; there’s a new entry over on The Origin Gallery that hosts it, and which will host other Arthurian Legends-related documents in the near future. The Ultima Codex is grateful to Joe Garrity and the Origin Museum for unearthing these files, and to Sheri Graner Ray for handing over the diskettes on which they were found.

http://gallery.ultimacodex.com/arthurian-legends-plot-documents/

Arthurian Legends Plot Documents

Arthurian Legends was a cancelled project, briefly in development at Origin Systems. The idea for the game, which was co-designed by Sheri Hobbs(now Sheri Graner Ray) and Brian Martin, would have used the Ultima 7 engine to re-tell the legend of King Arthur. Although the game would have likely been released under the Worlds of Ultima brand, it doesn’t seem to have featured many (if any) of the trappings of the series.

The documents available here were discovered on a diskette given to Joe Garrity by Sheri Graner Ray, and so come to us courtesy of the Origin Museum. They are all Word documents, and have been upgraded from their original format (Word 2.0) to Word 97-2003. The contents of the files haven’t been altered; the format upgrade was to ensure that you’ll all be able to open the files in modern versions of Word without having to deal with security errors.

icon_doc_256.png

Arthurian Legends Plot Plan

A summary of the introductory sequence planned for Arthurian Legends.

Download Now!

As always, download and enjoy these documents; pore over them and look for all the interesting little details that are contained therein. TheUltima Codex is grateful to Joe Garrity and the Origin Museum for unearthing these files, and to Sheri Graner Ray for handing over the diskettes on which they were found.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
It might have been playable if finished and polished, but great is stretching things given that the game was fundamentally broken and the plot railroads you through some un-avatar like behaviour. The music is pretty great, though, and the setting is interesting.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Thing that spoiled Pagan for me were expectations. From what Forest Master had said, an all worlds ruled by Guardian i'd seen in Labyrinth of Worlds, I were expectin someat fuckin earthshakin that rolled equalled U7 Britannia but twisted, corrupted an even more weird an huge. First major bout o decline I ever experienced, never thought it'd keep on going downhill for twenty years though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom