Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ultima Series by Spoony

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Would rather find the packages in San Andreas/Vice City again.

No you wouldn't. Unless there was an ingame way to pre-mark them on your map.
In Asylum it was an easy decision to give no shits about the riddles, but City had the good sense to provide informants that could give you the locations, which is all very nice until you learn that there are 400 of them and you will reach the level cap long before you get them all and many require that you complete the campaign first or get them with catwoman, who gets around by NOT FLYING and is therefore slow as shit over long distances.

ps what's with your crush here, is she the zooey deschanel of games or something

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Fff I forgot the vanilla games doesn't have a way to do anything other than set one waypoint. I remember when I did all 100 tags or w/e in SA and all it did was unlock guns in the house. :2/5:

I heard her voice recently in some "Lore in a Minute" videos on youtube, I just want to her her orgasm, then she can die by my hand.

:rpgcodex:

Angthoron

Arcane
pre searing was pretty nice when I started playing but after I got back recently it felt just a tad too lifeless
and the monument that requires you reach level 20 in that area to get it is ridiculous, and I still even saw people who accomplished that before the expansion packs were released
turns out they did it by dying to mobs repeatedly, which let them gain levels, which in turn allowed the players to get more than 1 exp from them
Huh, I'll keep that in mind once I decide to try leveling there again. I take it you're going to try out the sequel, then?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Finished watching it. It was a great video. Some disliked it when he talked about his brother, but I think he was pretty much on the point : the Ultima series spanned over 20 years and 20+ games (if you do count the spinoffs, and addons). People spent years playing those, litterally, growing up with them. They were promised an amazing conclusion, they were given ridiculous shit and continuity rape.

Ultimately, video games are about the experience, not their "inside" value. Definitely the best video series I've seen of Spoony, but hey, I liked his FMV series, FF8, FFX & FFX-2 series too. Count me easily pleased.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
258427_367668509972652_1934866113_o.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You should not be surprised, since Spoony is on Patreon, he started releasing all sorts of shit, regardless of quality or relevance, just to up his episode count.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Heeeeeey, a straight up good Spoony video! Haven't seen that in a while. Moar please.

(too much lame acting though)

Last edited:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
He's laying into all the console Ultimas (and consoles in general), not just RoV.
His SNES bashing was kinda hypocritical when he's a big FF6 fanboy and according to his site Shadowrun on the SNES is one of his favorite games. I really do hope he'd start making more movies about oldschool PC games and educating the public, but I doubt he'll work on any retro reviews after he's done with Ultima for good. Unless of course he trashes some bad game like Ring Terror's realm, but that's not the same as doing retrospectives and celebrating the history of good "forgotten" and underrated PC games.

Given how circle jerky those internet celebrities are, that joke about AVGN seemed unusually aggressive. Didn't his first video literally start by him acknowledging that AVGN exists and saying that he doesn't want to infringe his style or something? If I recall JonTron did that too on his first video, which is a funny coincidence as they've both ascended above AVGN's level imo

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
Heeeeeey, a straight up good Spoony video! Haven't seen that in a while. Moar please.

(too much lame acting though)
This last video was really awesome when compared to the last year of content. Spoony was way more aggressive and used new jokes and shit, I enjoyed it! And yeah, he shouldn't try acting this much in his videos cuz he cant pull it off. Anyway, great video, I was surprised.

Would you fuck me? Id fuck me..I remember he already used it somewhere but it was good here, too. And naked spoony eww, whatever.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm debating whether to shoot my fingers for using "subtle" rather than something else.

EDRIKOTFGH> \IO( bldfrwew ofrdrft mygh finmjgersd.

harhar!

Augur
I don't get why he now tries to emulate the AVGN. The overacting of the AVGN is his worst quality. Reactions are much more funny when they are genuine and not overdramatized. Watch this AVGN video for example:

http://cinemassacre.com/2009/07/21/plumbers-dont-wear-ties/

This game is just so bad that you don't need to throw around tons of swearing to make it funny. That said though I think Spoony's Ultima review on a whole is extremely entertaining.

Last edited:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
The overacting of the AVGN is his worst quality. Reactions are much more funny when they are genuine and not overdramatized.
That reminds me of SaveStateGamer's Irate Gamer parodies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNmQmVKe_hQ&t=6m19s
Even though his videos were aimed at making fun of the Irate Gamer (probably like 60-70% of sentences are directly pulled from his reviews, ghost hunting videos, cereal rants etc and modified to make them funny), I think he inadvertently summarizes a lot of the problems that Spoony/AVGN style reviews have in his Fallout and Mega Man videos (apart from roleplaying and channel retard cameos)

mettalhed

Educated
Spoony's entire Ultima retrospective was pretty good imo. They are some of his better content. This last one was pretty good too. I knew where he was going as soon as he started with the Silence of the Lambs reference. I didn't expect him to go all the way with it though. I was both disturbed and amused.

I don't get why he now tries to emulate the AVGN. The overacting of the AVGN is his worst quality. Reactions are much more funny when they are genuine and not overdramatized. Watch this AVGN video for example:

http://cinemassacre.com/2009/07/21/plumbers-dont-wear-ties/

This game is just so bad that you don't need to throw around tons of swearing to make it funny. That said though I think Spoony's Ultima review on a whole is extremely entertaining.

AVGN seems to have toned it down quite a bit over the past couple of years. He's a pretty entertaining guy all the way around. I like the creativeness of his reviews. Stuff like the SM3 or Ninja Gaiden episodes. I agree that there is a limit with the swearing and screaming though. Never could stand people like the Irate Gamer.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Irate Gamer isn't even irate. He's never angry, and when he is, it's obviously phoney faked rage rather than genuine like Spoony yelling AAARGHHHH when the Avatar has to ask what the Codex of Ultimate wisdom is. "grr im angry. im going to make these comically angry faces and show my middle finger to the controller because im so very angry."
:deadhorse:

mettalhed

Educated
Irate Gamer isn't even irate. He's never angry, and when he is, it's obviously phoney faked rage rather than genuine like Spoony yelling AAARGHHHH when the Avatar has to ask what the Codex of Ultimate wisdom is. "grr im angry. im going to make these comically angry faces and show my middle finger to the controller because im so very angry."
:deadhorse:

That's kinda what i mean. He's so obviously fake. Spoony is acting as well but you know he acutally was that angry when he played the game for the first time. His screaming after being blown up from opening that chest after making all of those hard jumps in his Ultima 8 review was funny as hell. He did a pretty good job of conveying the frustration he felt. It's about the same way i felt about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom