Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ultima Series by Spoony

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
:love:

...at the part where he just loses it completely and starts babbling about this childhood.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's completely messed up. Doesn't make him any less correct though

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wonder if he'll do the Worlds games. I got the feeling that this one's the last.

I suspect that he's never played them. A surprisingly small number of even hardcore Ultima fans have. The games were kind of a commercial failure back in the day.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Wonder if he'll do the Worlds games. I got the feeling that this one's the last.

I suspect that he's never played them. A surprisingly small number of even hardcore Ultima fans have. The games were kind of a commercial failure back in the day.
Checked the Ultima 7 video and it turns out you're correct. It's apparently a combination of hard to find copies and Spoony's hatred for the U6 interface. Shame he won't get around to them.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I was lukewarm on him until I started Ultima 8 video. He's a bro, even if he is relatively thin skinned for an internet celebrity.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
HE'S SO FUCKING GOOD HE JUST NEVER MAKES STUFF FUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I basically had to stop watching around the time he started messing with his perfectly good intro that starts with the FFX-2 concert and includes caveman glider kick
it was just classically synced

the suck peaked just after he changed the whole thing for the flash-animated intro and started taking part in TGWTG meta herpderp community skit shit and added way too much character dress up gags to his stuff

that my friend is not so fucking good

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I completely agree (though I respect his decision to "sell out", ain't easy being a nerdy reviewer with a small following if you wanna make some dough, bro). However the recent Ultima vids are a step back in the right direction. Some more LPing like his S.W.A.T one which is hella good, or just some of the old-style shit like reviewing crappy final fantasy games or FMVs and that kindda stuff.

It was really some of my favourite pass-time shit on the intrawebs.

Angthoron

Arcane
HE'S SO FUCKING GOOD HE JUST NEVER MAKES STUFF FUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I basically had to stop watching around the time he started messing with his perfectly good intro that starts with the FFX-2 concert and includes caveman glider kick
it was just classically synced

the suck peaked just after he changed the whole thing for the flash-animated intro and started taking part in TGWTG meta herpderp community skit shit and added way too much character dress up gags to his stuff

that my friend is not so fucking good
Yeah, he should ditch the anime faggotry lead-in and get back to the old stuff. Or I dunno, ditch the whole fucking intro altogether in favour of something that takes three to five seconds. Sure, he puts a lot of work into his non-vlog videos, but that's no reason to add half a minute of nothing to it, like the fucking TGWTG crew is doing. Fuck that trend.

Oh well, at least he's not having the whole SPOONY! TRUCKS COINS MAGIC GUN! SPOONY! title track unlike one of his former colleagues.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
the fucking TGWTG crew

is doug walker still making exaggerated faces and screaming noises in his nostalgia critic videos

at least I found cinema snob through that place

I think brad is enough of a bro that I watched the Asylum's Sherlock Holmes mockbuster knockoff solely on his recommendation
also known as Sherlock Holmes V Monsters

it involves sherlock holmes investigating the appearance of a kraken and several velociraptors around london
then his previous thought of as paralysed brother 'Thrope' turns up in basically a steampunk iron man suit and ends up attacking london with a mechanical dragon

sadly the movie has too much filler I fear and is not up to the high standards of mega shark vs giant octopus

Menckenstein

I don't really know about anyone aside from Spoony and The Angry Video Game Nerd because I don't pay attention to this kind of shit normally. That being said someone linked me to the "Lore in Under a Minute" thing on youtube and I would pay $60 + a $15 monthly subscription to listen to "Dodger" masturbate.

Angthoron

Arcane
the fucking TGWTG crew

is doug walker still making exaggerated faces and screaming noises in his nostalgia critic videos
No idea, but seeing how the fans keep attending to his shtick for a good half of a decade by now, I would imagine that the answer could be summed up by "Yes". I've no idea what the appeal is, sure, he has a couple of genuinely amusing "reviews", but overall, I'm amazed that people came back by the time he made his third video.

at least I found cinema snob through that place
Think I found that one through Spoony pre-TGWTG actually, and yeah, I do enjoy the Snob reviews, and might even watch a few of the films he's talked about when time and company permits.

the Asylum's Sherlock Holmes
is certainly on the list.

There's a few talented reviewers on the site, but unfortunately with the massive amount of cocksuckery they just sort of eventually fall flat. Initially, "Nostalgia Chick" had some entertaining moments (two of them are generally present at all times, and she's even taken to underlining them eventually), but after a large break over her libertarian trip, I decided to watch a vidya and whaddya know, she teaches the young vloggers how to best monetize their vidyas. Huzzah, rite? Huzzah indeed. Similar things go for some other reviewers that were funny til they went too far with cosplaying/taking themselves too seriously/having their cocks sucked right off til the point of lacking any balls/etc.

Haven't even put any of their reviews as background noise while fishing in WoW lately, yeah, it's gotten that good.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
while fishing in WoW

dammit angthoron I thought you were a contemplative city builder player with the occasional popamole for tempering

I tried grinding for a while in guild wars, even maxed lightbringer, sunspear and had kurzick faction just enough to qualify for monuments
then while working on the norn title I just stopped logging in and haven't gone back since

though I will grant you there is a certain zen aspect to honing a solo boss/zone run until your rate per hour reaches a peak level

Angthoron

Arcane
while fishing in WoW

dammit angthoron I thought you were a contemplative city builder player with the occasional popamole for tempering
I am versatile and always try to organize fish and raids in an optimal traffic-friendly manner.

I tried grinding for a while in guild wars, even maxed lightbringer, sunspear and had kurzick faction just enough to qualify for monuments
then while working on the norn title I just stopped logging in and haven't gone back since

though I will grant you there is a certain zen aspect to honing a solo boss/zone run until your rate per hour reaches a peak level
Gotta say I get too zen playing GW1, it takes me straight to the land of dreams. The intro parts are just too relaxing.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
That zen aspect is called OCD.

lololol fag u tend to ur bonsai tree you must have ocd
Would you say quake trick runners have ocd then? There's nothing irrational or completionist about identifying and tuning into the critical nuances of the particular task you're going for to do well and spend less time.That kind of portion specific familiarity was what I was referring to, not the encompassing issue of completing the titles in and of themselves.

Like say on the first stage of mario, you get the mushroom at point 1, then at point 2 you hit the invisible block and skip the rest of the stage. Or on guild wars, you go around this mob in this direction and then finish up the actual target with this combination of heroes and skills because they're weak to so and so, wraps up the quest quickly. Or if you're playing whatever total war, you end up having a favored set of conquest targets if you start as X to stabilise your region. Or on X-COM, where getting to laser guns is vital. With game experience comes unconscious intuition, which is part of zen, until such tasks become second nature. How is doing any of that OCD?

Gotta say I get too zen playing GW1, it takes me straight to the land of dreams. The intro parts are just too relaxing.

pre searing was pretty nice when I started playing but after I got back recently it felt just a tad too lifeless
and the monument that requires you reach level 20 in that area to get it is ridiculous, and I still even saw people who accomplished that before the expansion packs were released
turns out they did it by dying to mobs repeatedly, which let them gain levels, which in turn allowed the players to get more than 1 exp from them

thesoup

Arcane
I was trying to make a witty one liner, not start a discussion. Ffs, sgc_meltdown
Not saying it's bad or anything. It's unnecessary and you do it for... I don't know why. I'm not above that sort of behavior myself.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane

alright alright I didn't mean to suddenly black cat on you like that:codexisfor:

I just think a strong distinction should be made between getting good at a task with many variables based on player style versus something that you repeat doggedly until the counter reaches max (I'm looking at you arkham city riddle collection arragh fuck off)

mind your manners menckenberry

(who's this dodger person...)
http://www.youtube.com/user/PressHeartToContinue/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/DexterityBonus/videos

:hmmm:

Menckenstein

:bounce: Menck's Kryptonite

Seconding the Arkham Riddler trophies. Would rather find the packages in San Andreas/Vice City again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom