Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Tangut Prophecy: FOnline RPG, Historical Fiction, 12th Century China

oscar

Arcane
Playing as a female would require pretty much an entirely different game since this is a strictly historical RPG.

oscar

Arcane
Playing as a female would require pretty much an entirely different game since this is a strictly historical RPG.

The Tangut Prophecy: FOnline RPG, Historical Fiction, 12th Century China

Perhaps I'm biased, but I long for a good historical RPG, a proper full blown historical RPG.

it's beyond that. Usually, they'll have a skinny fragile chick fight off 50 people at once

The other more popular Chinese settings, namely the Han, Tang, and Three Kingdoms, are too entrenched in romantic epics and lighthearted fairytales, that portray China as this glorious, magical empire. Song would be a nice break as well as a good showing of the harsh reality and daily hardship in medieval China.

I'll do my best to make this game as historically accurate and consistent as possible. Now with that being said, expect everything you would from this historical period: Feudal class structures, technology, disputes between nomadic clans, slavery, patriarchy

Are you just an idiot without a clue how the past worked or do you genuinely think a female protagonist could work for this sort of game?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Why not take the opportunity to do female protagonists right, instead?
mc52r6.jpg

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Allright oscar , my bad. ;)

Though I've nothing against this design decision, you can be sure there would be many raving "gamur girlz" if you would try to sell this game. :P Political correctness and all that jazz.

oscar

Arcane
It would also kill the entire point of this project, which is that it isn't some sanitised high fantasy fairytale world where women and effeminate 14 year-olds are effortlessly wielding swords larger than their bodies.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Because there can only be 18/00 STR Zweihaender wielding bikinichainmail amazons or no women at all. There's nothing possible inbetween, right?

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Because there can only be 18/00 STR Zweihaender wielding bikinichainmail amazons or no women at all. There's nothing possible inbetween, right?

There might be a few surprises here and there, but don't expect them to be anything extraordinary. They'll fit within the context of history and the game.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Hey CrazyLoon, does the FOnline's license allows you to sell a game that uses its engine?
Can't believe I forgot about this. It's for non-commercial personal use, that's actually one of the reasons I decided to work for free in the beginning, bah. I suppose some special arrangement with Cvet could be done, if it does end up that way, when :takemymoney: is involved.

EDIT: Won't using SPECIAL give Bethesda reason to sue your ass off?
They're the ones who are in trouble. I'm protected by the CCP, you know. :neveraskedforthis:

In all seriousness, what are the boundaries? Do they really own the SPECIAL?

CrazyLoon

Prophet
I'll name the attributes something else then.

Anyway screw this. I'll just release the damn game for free. Much less headache.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Like you said, if you talk with Cvet it should be possible to sell it. I release all my Fonline stuff for free too though. So it's nice to see someone keeping "the spirit". ;)

Renaming the attributes should be enough.

Drowed

Arcane
Just keep doing your (amazing) stuff. When you're near completion, you can always try to see if there's a way to sell it. If there isn't, then, simply give it for free as intended.

But for what I'm seeing here, I would gadly pay for it.

Indranys

Savant
I refuse to make another Three Kingdom fairytale so folks can virtually bang Diaochan as Lubu once again.

It's OK if you don't want to do it.
But please don't insult my lifetime goal adolescence dream. :oops:
Every sane man will love to smooch the girl + while riding the Red Hare + hacking and slashing 1000 soldiers along the way. :cool:

On topic your game is very promising.
I salute you bro. :salute:

Mortmal

Arcane
its a nice setting and promising, buti just want to add not being able to pick a female character cause of historic reason is just wrong . Id rather see it implemented like in mount and blade with some drawback while negotiating with lords, diplomacy penalty and such. You could say there was not many women fighters in history , but not so many men either. How many men were allowed, just allowed, to carry a sword ? Around 1% in medieval time.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Good choice of time period. That period, especially the gradual sinification of the Jurchen and other 'foreign' dynasties has always been pretty interesting to me. If I saw another 3 kingdoms era game, I'd go berserk. Good on you for removing the fantastical bullshit too.

As for all this female PC crap, in the Jin/Southern Song period, there weren't that many situations where women were in a role that'd be at all interesting as an RPG.

Later, in the Ming dynasty, courtesans played a pretty interesting role in society, but even that wouldn't necessarily translate well to an RPG. Even if it did, would require a completely different game to the male player version.

Cool name

Arcane
its a nice setting and promising, buti just want to add not being able to pick a female character cause of historic reason is just wrong . Id rather see it implemented like in mount and blade with some drawback while negotiating with lords, diplomacy penalty and such. You could say there was not many women fighters in history , but not so many men either. How many men were allowed, just allowed, to carry a sword ? Around 1% in medieval time.

You do need to take a refresher course on your Asian history. For this kind of game, a female PC among Mongols tribes? Maybe. In Pre-Joseon Korea? Maybe, but difficult as it would require a lot of extra work. In Song/Yuan China? LOL NO.

For you to have a female PC on this game he would truly need to create two entirely different games. That's a fact, not an exageration. And the second game would end up being far more of a mixture of Bureau 13 and Ookuki than it would be Fallout.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
BTW CrazyLoon, I'm curious as to what general timeframe within the 12th century you're planning to use, as that has a serious effect on the game world. For instance, even discounting the Song side of things, living in Jin under Hǎilíngwáng would be different in some pretty important ways from living under Shìzōng.

mondblut

Arcane
You do need to take a refresher course on your Asian history. For this kind of game, a female PC among Mongols tribes? Maybe. In Pre-Joseon Korea? Maybe, but difficult as it would require a lot of extra work. In Song/Yuan China? LOL NO.

In before Roguey demanding Song/Yuan China in games to be "fair" :lol:

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have no idea about Chinese history, but this game looks very promising and interesting. I hope that you'll at least have some donation option available if you decide to make this game free. Quality stuff deserves recognition!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom