Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Tangut Prophecy: FOnline RPG, Historical Fiction, 12th Century China

Cool name

Arcane
Sadly, it's a Korean one: Yi Mun-Yol's 10-volume, which sticks to the Luo Guanzhong version while providing comparisons with Chen Shou and other sources at appropriate junctures, and making broader connections highlighting less obvious allusions and narratives. I like it because its historical analysis doesn't get bogged down, it remains very much in a literary spirit - that is, not only about 'what really happened' but the 'who' of the characters and what kind of stories might have mattered most or what kind of stories might have come about how/why. It also juggles the famous Liu Bei vs Cao Cao bias nicely, a troublesome affair for any rendition.

Notable examples include its lengthy discussion of Zhang Fei's butcher-apprentice days and the kind of village milieu he lived in (and what kind of 'position' he might have held in the townspeoples' eyes); which parts of Wang Yun's stratagems against Dong Zhuo might have been probable; the sheer violence of Zhuge Liang's alleged trapping and burning of the Wutugu troops and their rattan armor (which, while one of the less verified stories in the saga, is an interesting counterpoint to the standard, inhumanely aloof and serene characterisation of Zhuge Liang); and so forth.

You just became my best friend forever. :hug:

I'm gonna hunt for that stuffie right nao.

Hey guys I'm in USA right now, where I will be staying for the rest of the summer. I'll be back to work on the game in late September/early October.

Enjoy your rest. From the looks of it you deserve it. :hug:

hiver

the country of decline has taken another victim.

have a happy time gurgling soda and eating burgers until you explode - you fuck!

:patriot::rage::mob:

hiver

well, if he doesnt react to insults either i guess its clear.

shame, concept and ideas sounded really good.

SoupNazi

Is this really dead? I only just noticed this and I think it's the first RPG I actually looked forward to since ... uh ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom