Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Super BunnyHop Thread

flyingjohn

Arcane
I don''t think people understand the problem with that bad game play video.
This is an adult human being who can't handle instruction written in big letters onscreen,that is not something laughable but sad.
Also he completely makes the same mistakes(walks into enemies) multiple times and doesn't adjust which is in tune with him trying to jump over the obstacle at the tutorial section.
That is not just games related,that is basic stuff at life for fucks sake.
And no that wasn't a comedy act , i have seen bad players and they do exactly what he does.If it was an act he could have made it more much entertaining instead of just looking like a idiot.
Also the person working with him admits the only journalist thing he has going for himself is "that he ha links in the industry which give him scoops".
So literally he has connections which tell him some stuff so he doesn't need to actually do anything journalist related.
And instead of laughing it off he doubles down and blames "evil gamers".
I mean George can write pages upon pages of how this guy is a genius,but that is exactly what literally types do.They bullshit you for pages upon pages,and this guy ain't worth defending.
I mean they can't even get the developer right and that is just sad.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
And your missing my point, when the chips are down and he has to take a side with journos or consumers, he will always, always, side with the journos. One that's his profession he would see as an attack on him rather than a attack on folks who are shit at it, two because he was on the gamejournopros list, you know the mailing list of all those corrupt motherfuckers? Honestly with his pateron money he doesn't need to be loyal to those brain dead motherfuckers.
Iirc he never made a video condemning gamergate, so I think you might be barking up the wrong tree. In fact, I seem to recall he made a video around that time basically supporting the idea that game journos are hacks and corrupt (at least the dudes at the beginning of gamergate).

Archibald

Arcane
They bullshit you for pages upon pages,and this guy ain't worth defending.
I mean they can't even get the developer right and that is just sad.

Did you read entire article? At the very end he says same thing as you did in those two sentences.

Iirc he never made a video condemning gamergate, so I think you might be barking up the wrong tree. In fact, I seem to recall he made a video around that time basically supporting the idea that game journos are hacks and corrupt (at least the dudes at the beginning of gamergate).
But he never made a video of supporting gamergate either. An odd tibit, until one finds out he's part of gamejournopros list which kicked of the 'gamers are dead' articles. I just view him like how the average journalist was before the 2016, he uses his professionalism as smoke screen for hiding his true motivations with it the mask slipping a bit in rare occasions. Sooner or later there's going to be a major fuck up that even all of the 'professionalism' in the world can't defend, and then all of you guys sucking his dick will get salty about it.
Did you read entire article? At the very end he says same thing as you did in those two sentences.
Did you read this bit?
This isn't going to be my hill to die on. I want to do a video about this someday, but not until it's in defense of a reporter worth defending.
It's clear that he sides with the journos on this issue, but he can't defend it now without coming across as a scumbag. Which means he's a self-aware scumbag that doesn't want anyone think he's a scumbag. And honestly he will never get his rosa parks tier game jounro because a) the ones that keep doing this shit are fucking hacks in the first place, and b) NAACP deliberately stacked the deck in the first place, Claudette Colvin did the same thing earlier in the same year but because she got knocked up when she was 16 the NAACP didn't want to take the case.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
"The few "real journalists" I admire and follow in this business didn't earn their reputations off of reviews, and the stories that made them big weren't reviews. Ten years ago, Geoff Keighley made it big writing lengthy interview-driven feature pieces documenting the development of Half Life 2 and Portal 2 before they were even out. Four years ago, Danny O' Dwyer was making flashy video essays boiling industry-trend criticism into common-person polemics on Gamespot. Last year, Laura Kate Dale released a string of infamous leaks revealing future Nintendo plans before the company could control the release of that same information. That's what I consider "journalism," and it has nothing to do with how good they are at games."

Why George...

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
FWIW I don't think George was active on GJP at all. Just got an invite and forgot about it like some other people. (do I remember wrong?)

FWIW I don't think George was active on GJP at all. Just got an invite and forgot about it like some other people. (do I remember wrong?)
As far as I know he never acknowledged that he was on it. Hence it gives him plausible deniability, which would be the safest course of action during that type of shitstorm. I mean even Total Buttcancer wanted to stay neutral until everyone pressured him to take a side.
Doritos man actually used to be a good journalist though, believe it or not. His writeup on the rise and fall of Trilobyte (7th Guest devs) is great: http://web.archive.org/web/20061130124830/http://www.gamespot.com/features/btg-tri/index.html
And? That doesn't make up for his shilling. Hell the only times I remember he let it rip was against reggie, and even then it was more because nintendo doesn't do the de facto bribing like the other publishers do, and that's not out of moral highground but they're stingy fucks.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Doritos man actually used to be a good journalist though, believe it or not. His writeup on the rise and fall of Trilobyte (7th Guest devs) is great: http://web.archive.org/web/20061130124830/http://www.gamespot.com/features/btg-tri/index.html

I don't disagree, but he's also the perfect example of what's wrong with sizeable parts of his profession (or at least what was wrong somewhat pre SJW-craze. Things have obviously shifted towards politically-motivated shilling and propaganda now).
He's a big part of the reason people stopped trusting gamejournos' journalism in the first place, and George not even making mention of the scandal around him is a little bizarre.
"The few "real journalists" I admire and follow in this business" is how George described the Doritopope and co... I can understand appreciating his old work, but come on... There's little to admire about a guy who is such an obvious sellout.

Here's the thing... George doesn't like it that gamers paint game journos with a broad brush (in his estimation)... He considers Keighley as one of the few true examples of a "real journalist in this business"... Keighley is a sellout asshole who deserves the very criticism he got... George thinks gamers don't differentiate enough, but this shows imo that that doesn't really matter because the very guy George holds up as a stalwart of the profession is one of the most directly and justly criticized ones for his own actions, not some collateral damage victim.

If anything it's strange for George to consider himself part of that bunch of losers. He is definitely an actual gamer, with above average skills and a real passion for games. He is almost always held up by gamers (including gamergate types) as a good example of real, honest-to-god games journalism as it should be done. He is the better games journalist compared to Keighley and Dale... Why lower himself into their cesspool? Maybe he's afraid of being shunned by his colleagues, idk. Just weird.
He can match their level of journalism on his worst day without the negative aspects.

Oy Vey! Shut him down!

Seriously though, I know I'm an ass on this thread, but seriously it's more because I'm repulsed by the e-celeb worship I see in this thread. I just don't want people get hurt by their expectations of him, when I can see the writing on the wall by paying attention what he says in his videos.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Oy Vey! Shut him down!

Seriously though, I know I'm an ass on this thread, but seriously it's more because I'm repulsed by the e-celeb worship I see in this thread. I just don't want people get hurt by their expectations of him, when I can see the writing on the wall by paying attention what he says in his videos.
I remember his old American left-wing propaganda drive-by statements (few as they were iirc), so I never expected him to be a righty or anything... But he seemed alright in general, esp. on the journalism-front. Not hard to see why people might be a little bewildered because of that.

But he seemed alright in general, esp. on the journalism-front. Not hard to see why people might be a little bewildered because of that.
If you weren't paying attention to the press during the 2016 US election I would understand your confusion, but the short version is that professionalism that we expect of journalist is nothing more than a facade to gain your trust so they push their agenda, which was completely destroyed. Now george has been in the clear for the most part because he focus mostly on the mechanics of games in his videos rather using it as a political soapbox like most game journos do these days. However just because he doesn't say the typical things like journos say, doesn't mean he doesn't believe the same things either. Either he's too autistic in his examination of mechanics that it doesn't cross his mind at the time recording those views or knows that 'republicans buy sneakers too'. At first I though it was the latter but with this cuphead debacle, I think it just never crossed his mind to spew politics.

Archibald

Arcane

Could you name who is worshipping him here?

Mark Richard

Arcane
Some of George's points did enter my mind when this story first broke. Venturebeat is a technology website, not strictly a gaming website, and their staff is limited to a dozen people. In other words, they wouldn't necessarily have the expertise or resources to cover a big gaming event when it isn't even their main focus. Though any sympathy just evaporates after noticing the journalistic errors (as pointed out at the end), and that the writer has been covering games for 18 years. Even the official response to the controversy ends up reinforcing the stereotypes by sounding like another hard blow on the games media's own personal horn of Gondor.

Dean should understand that reference, he read Lord of the Rings 7 times.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Why he wrote so many words in simple case is baffling.
Games are stories, conversations between player and world, and conversations between designers and viewers. The act of play itself is but one method of experiencing what we call a “videogame” in modern critical discussions.
no it's fucking not you idiot the entire point of games is that they're interactive this is LITERALLY IN THE DEFINITION OF THE WORD 'GAME' even when all you do is choosing dialog options or move characters in interactive movie or whatever.

The best comparison I've seen: video games are an interactive medium, they aren't art on a wall. Trying to be a game journalist, while so grandma-bad that you can't finish the first level, is like trying to be an art critic while mostly blind or a music critic with severe hearing loss. You're unable to accurately judge something if you can't fully experience it.

The worst thing about idiots like this is they use Gamergate as some sort of bulletproof shield against criticism and it FUCKING WORKS. The NeoGAF topic on this guy is full of people defending him.

Maybe they are bad at games but they might be better at writing
https://venturebeat.com/2011/05/25/how-many-ways-can-thqs-space-marine-game-rip-off-gears-of-war/
nevermind

Last edited:

Could you name who is worshipping him here?
Well for starters you're acting like a fanboy, downplaying after his fuck up siding with the dipshits. Just like how a nintendo fanboy would say 'nintendo is a business' after the company pulled some anti-consumer bullshit. I would say Infinitron as well but he does this type of thing a lot, so he's not doing because it's george but rather more like a word that has hill in it. And Ezeekiel was taken a back from george's actions so he had some expectations that he wasn't like other girls game journos. Found it similar to a people expecting a famous person to have similiar views just because they were a fan of their work.

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
I posted one post saying that reading entire article will help in understanding his argument a bit better and that he eventually agreed that particular "journalist" is shit. But I guess reading entire thing = fanboyism.

That fucking mentality behind your post is exactly what I mean by fanboyism, you are still downplaying his fuck up. Yeah if you read the article you can understand his reasoning, so fucking what? His reasoning is shit, it doesn't excuse him for siding with the game journos on this. Like claiming Dean wasn't reviewing the game yet it was a first impression type of video, I would consider that under the umbrella of reviewing a game. And somehow you think by reading his article validates choice for siding with game journalist on this scandal. Because what? He admits Dean a shitty journalist? The issue is his argument and stance not that he thinks Dean is a good at his job or not. Hence fanboyism. Also you made more than one post you telling people to read the article.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
"The few "real journalists" I admire and follow in this business didn't earn their reputations off of reviews, and the stories that made them big weren't reviews. Ten years ago, Geoff Keighley made it big writing lengthy interview-driven feature pieces documenting the development of Half Life 2 and Portal 2 before they were even out. Four years ago, Danny O' Dwyer was making flashy video essays boiling industry-trend criticism into common-person polemics on Gamespot. Last year, Laura Kate Dale released a string of infamous leaks revealing future Nintendo plans before the company could control the release of that same information. That's what I consider "journalism," and it has nothing to do with how good they are at games."

Why George...

I think he means "that's journalism" as in essentially they go out, interview a bunch of people, leak insider knowledge etc and present it to the masses. Which is sort of fine. You can do that and still be shit at games. What you can't do is be a critic, though. And you can't accurately report on upcoming releases (e.g previews) if you weren't good enough to get past the first level in the press demo build or the game this demo may or may not be a sequel to. So yeah, this may be decline of Wienerman, unless previews, reviews and opinion pieces do not fall under the journalism umbrella idk (Previews certainly do). Yet on the other hand consider traditional journalistic outlets covers a wide variety of subjects, including, say, sports...though granted they'd usually assign the sports page to writers that are interested in and knowledgeable about the sports, and don't strictly need to be able to play the sports or be good at it themselves to give a sound perspective. With video games it's easy to make a case that you must. And I'm talking about newspapers, the BBC etc here, not Sports magazines and dedicated sports coverage which in all likelihood is far more respectable than dedicated games coverage, though I wouldn't know.
But whatever, journalism is highly imperfect. What is just a joke, though, is games "journalism".

Last edited:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Superbunnyhop? He's the balding weaboo correct? I think I remember him. Hyperbithero is better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom