Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Super BunnyHop Thread

Lord Romulus

Arcane
No surprise, all the bland, short, simple games I see that the Polgyon and RPS types gush over eventually end up thanking people like these, like that Pony game George reviewed a few weeks back that proudly displayed "Zoe Quinn's favorite games of 2014". Developers probably spent more time kissing the right asses to shill this game than they did actually developing it.

UTKYiFh.jpg

Last edited:

pippin

Another thing is how, even tho he is obviously unimpressed by the game, he does his best to sugarcoat it and present it as a part of some brave, fresh new direction.

I believe he does that to appear as a professional guy. "This game sucks lol" sounds amateurish, and being a contrarian all the time could result in people blacklisting him so he does not bring down the public opinion about games in general.

People really have a hard time understanding my reasoning when I say Eye of the Beholder was crucial for Doom's development
w0t

I swear I can remember people from id quoting Eye of the Beholder as an influence. The whole dungeon crawler model is extremely important for the game too: killing monsters while looking for secrets in maze-like levels. Sounds exactly like Doom's basic premise. IMO the shooter genre really became a thing with Quake and Doom clones, where the focus was moved from action adventure to 100% action.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Videogames have been this "crazy new medium" for more than 20 years now. It's like that thing felipepepe was talking about. Nobody really bothers to study games from a historical perspective, that is, everything is new, everything is different, and nothing has a connection in between. People really have a hard time understanding my reasoning when I say Eye of the Beholder was crucial for Doom's development.
This. This. So much this. This to the infinite degree. This as much as the burning of a thousand suns.

pippin

are you trying to tell me that the fps genre was just making popamole shit for stupid kiddies

I'm trying to tell you the shooter genre has been documented and reviewed in an awful manner so far. The modern shooter has more in common with the light gun arcade than Doom imo.

Riskbreaker

The whole dungeon crawler model is extremely important for the game too: killing monsters while looking for secrets in maze-like levels. Sounds exactly like Doom's basic premise.
I saw Comrade Commissar Infinitron mention that more than once. And yeah, it makes perfect sense, even If I rarely saw it discussed or honestly even thought about it myself.
Hell, if you have that dungeon crawler model in mind, then Catacomb 3D was like an ultra-streamlined version of those games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's just a theory really. Somebody should ask Romero about it, it's not like he doesn't have free time.

pippin

Jeez, am I the only one who thought the "crazy new medium" line was obvious sarcasm?

Don't really think so, since the review was generally not negative and he quoted fucking Telltale to explain video game writing.

Murk

Arcane
it's almost shocking how games that seem like shit turn out to be shit

oh wait

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Videogames have been this "crazy new medium" for more than 20 years now. It's like that thing felipepepe was talking about. Nobody really bothers to study games from a historical perspective, that is, everything is new, everything is different, and nothing has a connection in between. People really have a hard time understanding my reasoning when I say Eye of the Beholder was crucial for Doom's development.
Speaking of lack of historical perspective, it was more than 20 years after celluloid films before they bothered adding sound, let alone colour. Games will be a crazy new medium for a while yet. Come back around with your 'video games are old hat!' speech after we've got actual Matrix like VR games.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Speaking of lack of historical perspective, it was more than 20 years after celluloid films before they bothered adding sound, let alone colour. Games will be a crazy new medium for a while yet. Come back around with your 'video games are old hat!' speech after we've got actual Matrix like VR games.

IMO Games/gaming industry blew their chances of becoming anykind of proper medium in late 90s/early 2000s as it grew too big too fast, and the filthy casuals invaded the medium due the popularity of PSX and especially PS2. The games made for computers/PC grew more and more ambitious between late 80s and late 90s. There would've been chance to instill the culture of making proper and varied games into the profession itself, and instill real continuity between what has been done before and what's being done in the future, as happened with the film industry. This didn't happen due the invasion of the filthy casuals and retarded "Yo, let's make this into shitty mass product!"

pippin

It's still a different case imo. There was a strong opposition against sound in movies because some people (actors mostly) thought it would turn cinema into popamole. Truth is with or without sound movies weren't free of popamole, but what videogames need is not only technical accomplishment, but also an abstract element of going beyond the medium. Like The Godfather for movies or Watchmen for comics. Problem is, videogames are still a business made by people with mediocre preparation and ambitions, and those who are trying to push games "forward" just answer to a certain circlejerk. Games can't be movies or comics, the worst thing these people do is to often ignore the psychological and mechanical aspects of gaming. Which is why people is more familiar with Tetris or Space Invaders than, say, Bioshock or any other modern franchise.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

It's still a different case imo. There was a strong opposition against sound in movies because some people (actors mostly) thought it would turn cinema into popamole. Truth is with or without sound movies weren't free of popamole, but what videogames need is not only technical accomplishment, but also an abstract element of going beyond the medium. Like The Godfather for movies or Watchmen for comics. Problem is, videogames are still a business made by people with mediocre preparation and ambitions, and those who are trying to push games "forward" just answer to a certain circlejerk. Games can't be movies or comics, the worst thing these people do is to often ignore the psychological and mechanical aspects of gaming. Which is why people is more familiar with Tetris or Space Invaders than, say, Bioshock or any other modern franchise.

IMO it's also the fact that game designers and writers are, especially nowdays, mostly talentless hacks who couldn't recognize good design or writing if it'd kick them in the balls. How many genuinely well written and/or designed games have you played? If you look at the writing alone, I'd say there's just a very few games which would be on par with other mediums when it comes just to the writing itself.

The problem IMO with games is that most writers who are even half-decent goes to write either books, tv or films, because they either pay better and/or are considered with much more reverence. Nowdays you can only get writers to write games who are too fucking shit to get their books published or can't get hired to write even tv-shows.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, even Braid was more mechanically complex and had greater variety of time-manipulation styles, and it was still disappointing and overhyped for what it was.

Superhot does not look bad, but I bet I would get bored pretty quickly with it - I wish the time-moves-when-you-move mechanic was just a part of a larger, more interesting game, rather than all (or most) of it.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
f02262f59fe8575251ecd928d779cf50b7f7e7a7a59a8c4ba8bbf678ee743f09.jpg

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel Core I5-4440 3,10 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: graphics card with 2048 MB RAM

5F5C89868BC35D48A6DC3F62C529BE16364805DB

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Memory: 2.0 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

0000003271.jpg

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: 1Ghz PIII/Athlon or 1.2Ghz Celeron/Duron processor
Memory: 512MB RAM
Graphics: 64MB DirectX 9 compatible AGP graphics card with hardware T&L support

Mafia_Gameplay.jpg

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: 700+ MHz Pentium III
Memory: 128MB RAM
Graphics: 32MB video card

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
I wonder who on the devteam put all the dumb ascii whatever bloat around the one pollack's good design instead of building content for him

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom