Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Storm Guard: Darkness is Coming - turn-based roguelike RPG inspired by GoT's Night Watch

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Am I right in assuming this is not a real crpg and I will be forced to hire nameless people, or switch out people I have no stake in with better nameless people? Or can I build and keep a small squad of the same people I have a vested interest in if there is no chargen?

vmar

Savant
Looks pretty cool. Probably gonna grab this along with The Dwarf Run once I finish my replay of VtMB.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Or can I build and keep a small squad of the same people I have a vested interest in if there is no chargen?
Yeah, you can keep them, train them etc. It's like the X-com games in this respect.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Or can I build and keep a small squad of the same people I have a vested interest in if there is no chargen?
Yeah, you can keep them, train them etc. It's like the X-com games in this respect.

Can I name them? Is the chardev random like Darkest Dungeon or can I control it? How would you rate the rpg systems? Is there a lot of equipment slots?

jungl

Augur
I like how the game claims to be not grindy when its the exact same shit as darkest dungeon in that respect. If you don't level and gear up your team you are fucked. 1 level makes a huge difference in this game as it does in darkest.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can I name them? Is the chardev random like Darkest Dungeon or can I control it? How would you rate the rpg systems? Is there a lot of equipment slots?
Haven't played this in a long time, can't tell what's been changed or not. Maybe after I redownload the game I'll tell you. Random chardev, heroes can have equipment, guards don't. Heroes can be upgraded, guards merely level up, if I recall correct.

Dyspaire

Cipher
I haven't really played much more, but I've hit my first level up for a couple of my characters. Yes, you can rename characters to whatever suits your fancy. Basic stereotypes to start. Warrior, Priest:Tank, Healer sort-of thing.

Character creation; Training Hall. My warrior/tank for example has a choice of 10 skills he can pay a bit of gold to level up, most of those ten skills have 5 levels to them, some skills are passive?, some are special moves or buffs.

That's all I know atm. Seems pretty deep at first glance. Not sure if higher character level unlocks more skills or you just have those ten the whole way.

It's a lot like XCOM for sure.

Still not disappointing.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Combat.

Camera is fully adjustable, pan, zoom, rotate, tilt. I like it a lot.

Instead of exploring an overland map like an IE game, you explore a lot like in Darkest Dungeons.

You choose an 'adventure pack' in town which are called Missions, you take a patrol mission for example and your party is presented an abstract map of a grid of 'rooms'. You choose a room to move into, you're presented with a cyoa-like text description of a scenario, like "you walk past a graveyard, and see men digging. As you watch, they are suddenly set upon by a small party of rising undead. Do you: A, Aid the diggers. B, Do nothing. C, Aid the undead.

Let's say you decide to aid the diggers. You then zoom into the scenario/battlemap like the one above, and combat plays out.

Some rooms are non-combat scenarios; you meet a merchant, encounter an over-turned wagon long-abandoned, etc. I just picked up an Archer character as a reward for trying to save a bunch of wounded soldiers I came upon after their battle with some orcs and goblins.

Pretty varied stuff so far.

Edit: (Messed up screenshot, sorry. Your party would be down in bottom left corner.)

http://imgur.com/a/feAQu

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't believe nobody has commented on how this looks like a NWN1 module. Kinda nostalgic that way actually.

Dyspaire

Cipher
A few pictures that might answer some questions, with brief descriptions of what's going on.

http://imgur.com/a/dlcDa

It does look like a NWN1 module.

Honestly graphics are fine, animations are fine. They are what they are. They do the job. A zombie looks like a zombie. Lizardman like a lizardman.

That being said, if these guys did another couple of passes on graphics and animations, ya, it would be great.

I hope there's a nice, deep pile of cyoa's ahead of me. Haven't seen any repeats yet, and have probably seen about 40 different ones in my couple of hours of play time.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Character creation
Any appearance customizing or just name the bloke, equip gear and send him out to die?

Very sure you can't change portrait. You can rename.

Gear does seem to matter. I just found a pair of better boots for one of my Dwarven Heroes. I think as gear changes it changes appearance on your avatar. I think.

Initially I thought you could only hire a few basic classes like Warrior and Priest, but I've now seen Assassins and Ninjas for hire too. Also, you can hire Heroes, which cost a bit more but are of course heroic and have better initial stats and abilities.

I found a Dwarven Champion Hero for hire who I named Bruenor Battlehammer, and I'm good with that, if that makes any sense. Wish his portrait had a red beard though instead of grey.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
Very sure you can't change portrait. You can rename.

You can change it in the heroes, there's a button in the portrait to do that in the tavern, the (1) and (2) below the character's portrait. Only 2 choices, it seems.

Gear does seem to matter. I just found a pair of better boots for one of my Dwarven Heroes. I think as gear changes it changes appearance on your avatar. I think.

It does change.

Initially I thought you could only hire a few basic classes like Warrior and Priest, but I've now seen Assassins and Ninjas for hire too. Also, you can hire Heroes, which cost a bit more but are of course heroic and have better initial stats and abilities.

AFAIK, heroes can learn more abilities too, or something like that. The normal characters have some kind of "cap".

vmar

Savant
Put a couple hours in so far, I'm liking it. The cyoas/random events are fun and there's plenty of variety in them so far. Combat is fun but it doesn't feel all that tactical so far, but this could change as I get further into the game. There doesn't seem to be any elevation in terrain so you can stick an archer on a hill and get a bonus to accuracy or anything like that, although you do have to deal with line of sight. Like someone else said, the encounters start with your party and the enemy party facing each other, then you pretty much just meet midfield and go to town.

The keep management stuff is definitely inspired by Xcom, which I like, and the game feels a lot like Xcom in a fantasy setting.

One thing I really like is how you can find different skill/class combos that synergize with each other. For example, a warrior can taunt some enemies, which applies the taunt condition (debuff), then your archer has a skill that does extra damage to enemies with conditions on them. Lots of stuff like this which makes the combat more than just point and click. It's a cool feeling when your soldiers have ways they can work together rather than just going max dps every round. Some of the most fun I've had so far is facing enemy groups that have a healer, as the enemy healer can keep his buddies alive fairly easily if you're just focusing on killing them one at a time, so you have to put some thought into how you're gonna handle the situation, otherwise it'll just be a back and forth stalemate where neither side really takes any damage. There are plenty of different debuffs and buffs that can be applied, and they all feel like they make a difference and effect combat, rather than just giving you a slight stat boost or something.

Encounters seemed to be well varied so far, you'll fight the standard fantasy stuff like goblins, orcs, etc, but I've seen a number of cool enemy designs with unique abilities, some of which can really fuck your day up if you don't deal with them asap. Also I really don't get all the steam reviewers crying about the game being too hard, you can literally save after every room if you want, at most you'd lose like 5 minutes of progress if you wanted to reset a fight. Also, there's a slider to adjust combat speed, which is always a good thing in turn based games imo.

Only thing I don't really like so far is that the narrator is cheesy as hell, but you can mute him and he's not intrusive anyway, the game doesn't pause while he's talking. Also advertising the game as a roguelike just because it has random events seems kinda weird. I'm by no means knowledgeable when it comes to roguelikes but I don't think this really fits the description.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Haven't played this in a long time, can't tell what's been changed or not. Maybe after I redownload the game I'll tell you. Random chardev, heroes can have equipment, guards don't. Heroes can be upgraded, guards merely level up, if I recall correct.
I haven't really played much more, but I've hit my first level up for a couple of my characters. Yes, you can rename characters to whatever suits your fancy. Basic stereotypes to start. Warrior, Priest:Tank, Healer sort-of thing.

Character creation; Training Hall. My warrior/tank for example has a choice of 10 skills he can pay a bit of gold to level up, most of those ten skills have 5 levels to them, some skills are passive?, some are special moves or buffs.

That's all I know atm. Seems pretty deep at first glance. Not sure if higher character level unlocks more skills or you just have those ten the whole way.

It's a lot like XCOM for sure.

Still not disappointing.

Thank you guys for the information. The only thing that has me hesitant is the hero/regular type recruit. I assume you are supposed to replace regular troops with heroes when they are available and that just undermines my need to have a team I am 100% vested in.

Lastly, people should really give credit to Blackguards 1 for that type of dungeon layout instead of Darkest Dungeon.

Now they just need to add an isometric (orthographic) camera mode. Can't stand this perspective crap.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Lastly, people should really give credit to Blackguards 1 for that type of dungeon layout instead of Darkest Dungeon.

Yes, very true.

Now if only somebody will make an IE-like game with some semblance of this kind of turn-based combat based on a fun and deep rule system... do you ever wonder what happens at places like Obsidian when someone, and it has to have happened at least once you'd think, says out loud in a brainstorming session, "Why don't we make a game like Baldur's Gate 2, but with turn-based combat like TOEE or the Gold Box games?"

Law of averages, somebody has to have brought that up, and it's been shot down every time so far apparently. Crazy to think about.

Still having fun with this for the moment though.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Also advertising the game as a roguelike just because it has random events seems kinda weird. I'm by no means knowledgeable when it comes to roguelikes but I don't think this really fits the description.
The term has been devalued over time because it brings in the niche sales nowadays to just slap Roguelike onto your game description even when it isn't.

Kind of ironic, considering there was a time when that moniker was considered the kiss of death.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Looks like I'm the odd one out on this one then. Not going for 'edge points' or anything but I just refunded this after 113 minutes. It might get more varied later on I suppose, but the combat is undermined by having such small areas to fight in. I'd done about 10 fights or so and they were all 'head in the middle and click on enemy until dead.' If I'm bored in the first two hours then it's not a good sign.

Plus, despite what a previous poster said about repetition of the CYOA events, I'd had several repeat in the first two hours.

If my choices for TB combat are this, Mordheim, nu-Xcom, Xenonauts, JA2 or even Darkest Dungeon, this does not come high up on the list. I know it might be unfair to compare this to games with much higher budgets and scope, but the fact is they're in the same marketplace and I only have a finite amount of time. £14.99 is also the price of Battle Brothers and Hard West at the moment, and I know I'd recommend both of those over this for turn based combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom