Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
So I spent last night trying to make heads or tails of the Steam sale, and it was the first time in some months that I use some of Steam's functions.

Ho-lee-shit, does Steam have a bad UI, especially when it comes to searching.

I want to browse and exclude some search parameters? Nope, I can only include search parameters, I still have to sift through pages of crap. I also see the games that I already own.

The included search parameters don't make much sense to begin with. I select "Keyboard + Mouse" as input, 585 pages of search results drop down to only 7 pages.

And going through the Discovery queue Steam recommended me 31 space-themed games out of 36, all because the last game I played was The Long Journey Home... which I only did for the cards.

Finally I find two games that I add to the cart, and was about to make the purchase when I recalled I was going to buy an in-game item in another game, to support the devs. I do that first, then return to my cart to find it empty. In the three minutes apart the cart had reset itself because reasons.

(I'm also not mentioning the times when the search results all kept disappearing because the servers can't seem to handle the load of a stupid mini-game, but that's an incidental problem and not a general one like the others.)

I'm serious when I say this: Anyone who can create and launch a digital distribution platform with a good, intuitive UI (and good customer support) today will take a sizable chunk out of Steam's market share. Because Valve doesn't give a shit about its customers anymore.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wanted to see all games developed by Arkane. I was at Dishonored's page, so I clicked at "DEVELOPER: Arkane Studios". It now redirects you to Bethesda. :negative:

That's very inconvenient.

And funny: while for most external developers' (Rebellion, Interplay, Splash Damage for example) they left the old search page links, it seems Obsidian (for New Vegas) is the only company they bothered to link the new page. Maybe Obsidian asked them to while others didn't.

mastroego

Arcane
I decided to go crazy. Despite the discounts being horrible, but one cannot always complain, I wanted to buy stuff.

So I got:
- War of the Chosen expansion for XCOM 2 (-33%)
- Warlock 2: The Exiles + all the DLCs required to run the highly recommended Renaissance mod.
Total expense just under 50 €.

Way more than I anticipated, then again, I won't have too much time to play stuff so these are supposed to last a long while.
Which applies to the download phase too, WTF 30 GB for the Xcom expansion!!!?!?! I'll never even start this game.

Really fucking irritating how games that are 2+ years old still cost basically full price or more if you want the full version (i.e. with DLC). Herp derp -80% off a $60 game but then $100 of DLC is only -40% off.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Dungeon warfare 2 is about to come out on the 29th, finally. Seems to be getting little attention so far, so I figured I'd mention it.

The first one was a really nice trap-based defense game with lots of physics influence. I think it was on some of the big flash sites first and came to public attention that way.
Not sure about the new one, might just be on steam (?)... So I'm worried it'll flop or something because it's been ages since the last game and there's all but a few forum topics in the steam forum for the new one.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I decided to go crazy. Despite the discounts being horrible, but one cannot always complain, I wanted to buy stuff.

So I got:
- Warlock 2: The Exiles + all the DLCs required to run the highly recommended Renaissance mod.

Way more than I anticipated, then again, I won't have too much time to play stuff so these are supposed to last a long while.
Which applies to the download phase too, WTF 30 GB for the Xcom expansion!!!?!?! I'll never even start this game.
I also bought WL2 and the DLC for Renaissance.

Vampyr isn't on sale but there was a 20% discount on greenmangaming so I bought it after all.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I want Mummy Remastered but not at $15. It came out at twice the price it should have, especially with that recent Castelvania "homage" out there.

PrettyDeadman

Also bought nuAliens vs nuPredator.
90$ discount is pretty good.

Origin is also good deal (not sure if addons are included):

Wow, no aliens versus predator 2 on steam? wtf/

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
nuAvP is awful. It's an console FPS so because of limited memory you fight with few aliens (4 at best) and need to melee them and then headshot them because they're bullet sponges like Predator in AvP2.

So I got:

I want to do the same with Divinity OS2, 20% and new Definitive Edition or whatever is coming soon so...
This or another bunch of 50-75-85% titles.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bought this ridicules game on Steam for one Euro:

It's basically Max Payne but (at least to me) double the difficulty of that game. It also have a really cheesy fun cop story.

Recorded a small video. This is only the first level. Think I died at least 20 times. Highly recommend it if you like Max Payne gameplay! Can't go wrong for 1 Euro/dollar.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Speaking as someone generally aligned with liberal politics, I hate the sound of this too. Why the fuck are you doing a period piece set in 1918 if the character is going to look and talk like a guy 100 years in the future?

I remember craving that Vampire game from seeing advertisements in magazines, but knowing we'd never have the money and/or computer to run it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom