Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Deleted member 7219

Ok, I've tried to dig a bit and found that the original is a game older than I care to withstand right now.
Maybe Human Revolution Director's Cut, people seem to like it, right?
The annoying thing is I'm gathering you're kinda "supposed" to have played the previous ones (which, really: games aren't movies).

I'd recommend Human Revolution.

pippin

That's helpful, thanks.
No mods required on 1st game.
On 2nd - go GMDX.
On 3rd and more - there are more (Nameless Mod, 2027, Red Sun etc.)
If anyone suggest Revision - throw shit back at them because it's dildolous decline right there.

Don't talk with people suprised that you still didn't played Deus Ex, cause they're too busy playing Skyrim and FO4 to bother with anything from Codex TOP 50 so...

I'd advice going with New Vision first, it's basically just a graphical update, nothing gets changed in terms of content. But you should only really use it if the game decides to behave in a retarded manner when it comes to graphix - many people report it being too dark or too bright, apart from having some obnoxious framerate issues.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Halp, trying to buy a game for my niece, I know she liked the cover picture when we were browsing Steam a few weeks ago but can't fucking remember the name...or really anything about it.

There was a a big brown bear-like creature with glowing red eyes sitting on one side and I wanna say red or orange squirrel (?) on the ground, looking at it. It seemed like a forest setting or some such. I wanna say it's an indie platformer for kids but not sure. It's probably a relativelly new game, a few years back max. Rings a bell anyone? I've been wading through the Steam catalogue for 15 minutes now but it's pointless, there are thousands of games. Thx.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/366320/ ?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Keep staring at Caves of Qud and Thea.

My steam library shows 350+ games, though. Maybe I should stop buying shit :patriot:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, I've tried to dig a bit and found that the original is a game older than I care to withstand right now.

Fuck Human Revolution. Are you trying to troll us or something, or are you just that retarded?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That's helpful, thanks.
On 2nd - go GMDX.
If anyone suggest Revision - throw shit back at them because it's dildolous decline right there.

Don't talk with people suprised that you still didn't played Deus Ex, cause they're too busy playing Skyrim and FO4 to bother with anything from Codex TOP 50 so...

I'd advice going with New Vision first, it's basically just a graphical update, nothing gets changed in terms of content. But you should only really use it if the game decides to behave in a retarded manner when it comes to graphix - many people report it being too dark or too bright, apart from having some obnoxious framerate issues.

The original game is fine as is. Not the best use of the Unreal engine possibly but it is still pleasant enough visually.

RuySan

Augur

Valdis Story is fantastic. Great Combat on that one. The swapper is pretty good but is mostly a puzzle game, and it's devilish hard in the last 1/4.

Rogue legacy is great but not really a metroidvania.

Dust looks pretty good, but I found it so easy that became boring.

Mirror of fate isn't really any good, and also, not a metroidvania. You're better off playing the DS and GBA Castlevanias.

I recommend Guacamelee and Unepic.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The swapper is pretty good but is mostly a puzzle game, and it's devilish hard in the last 1/4.

Rogue legacy is great but not really a metroidvania.

I agree with this.

I recommend Guacamelee and Unepic.

I second Guacamelee, but NOT Unepic.

Guacamelee is a good Metroidvania and game, while Unepic tries to be a Metroidvania but fails abysmally. Unfortunately most players don't realize this until they reach the fourth boss or so.

mastroego

Arcane

Fuck Human Revolution. Are you trying to troll us or something, or are you just that retarded?
I've never played anything from the franchise.
I can play old games if I'm already accustomed to them, but if it's a new thing (for me) and nostalgia isn't playing a factor I prefer a modern UI and presentation, all other things being equal ofc, that's why I was looking for advice.

pippin

That's helpful, thanks.
On 2nd - go GMDX.

The original game is fine as is. Not the best use of the Unreal engine possibly but it is still pleasant enough visually.

It's not that. The game messes with gamma settings and has shitty framerates depending on your system. New Vision allows for more recent versions of directx which also helps with many problems.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I can play old games if I'm already accustomed to them, but if it's a new thing (for me) and nostalgia isn't playing a factor I prefer a modern UI and presentation, all other things being equal ofc, that's why I was looking for advice.

There's nothing wrong with the UI or the presentation of the game. Deus Ex was made in an age where games had reached a sufficient level maturity in terms of accessibility. Ultima Underworld or System Shock 1 may be a problem, but not Dues Ex. In fact, i'd say the interface of Deus Ex is actually easier to use than any made for console modern shit. What's easier than drag and drop style inventory for instance?

And i certainly see nothing wrong with those graphics:

Shot2.3.jpg

Prk6j.jpg

dd92cb7f2bdb12a2cac5877bf199b7fed84a58a4.jpg

Clean and neat and everything is easy to see which is good because apparently in the Deus Ex universe the sun doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Jazz_

Arcane
There's no reason not to start with GMDX even if it's your first playthrough, it improves the game in every area without altering the vanilla feel and makes it look prettier and fuller (since mastroego's main preoccupation seems to be that the game looks too old or whatever), GMDX comes already with HDTP & New Vision, so no need to install other mods to improve the graphics.

You can see UNATCO in GMDX here, looks 10 times better than bareboned vanilla:

mastroego

Arcane

There's nothing wrong with the UI or the presentation of the game. Deus Ex was made in an age where games had reached a sufficient level maturity in terms of accessibility. Ultima Underworld or System Shock 1 may be a problem, but not Dues Ex. In fact, i'd say the interface of Deus Ex is actually easier to use than any made for console modern shit. What's easier than drag and drop style inventory for instance?

And i certainly see nothing wrong with those graphics:

Shot2.3.jpg

Prk6j.jpg

dd92cb7f2bdb12a2cac5877bf199b7fed84a58a4.jpg

Clean and neat and everything is easy to see which is good because apparently in the Deus Ex universe the sun doesn't exist.
It's understandable enough but honestly those kind of graphics feel kind of depressing to me today.
Anyway, I guess I'll pick it up with the other one, it's ultra cheap.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
How old are you? Where you there when those games were new? I actually personally enjoy those old graphics because of the nostalgia i get from having experienced the game back when those type of visuals were the norm. Deus Ex wasn't exactly the best looking game for its time but it did have a very cool style and atmosphere. By comparison, the latest Deus Ex does absolutely nothing to me.

Naraya

Arcane
Sorry for OT (you can move the discussion somewhere else) - I installed Steam client on a fresh Mint VM and it works flawlessly with no disconnects.

Nevertheless, I love how Windows "just works" compared to Linux. I went through Ubuntu, SteamOS (oh the irony) and ElementaryOS when trying to install the f*cking Steam client. They just wouldn't start it after updating - no message, no nothing, just no reaction. Only Mint worked fine.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Naraya Yeah, Steam on Ubuntu is absolute shite, which is double ironic since according to Valve that's the flavour of Linux they 'support'. The problem is it ships about half its own dependencies, all about 3 years out of date - so completely incompatible with the ones it doesn't ship. If you start it from the command line instead of the launcher you can get error message output, and googling that will yield a working copy, but it's a pain. One fairly recent thing is the steam package in Arch has an executable 'steam-native' which uses your system libraries, and 'just works' quite well.

Latelistener

Arcane
Seems like Valve has abandoned SteamOS. That's a shame because I don't really intend using that spyware they call Windows 10.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We really need a steam curator that collates all the Unity Games so I know to avoid them.

Every single one of them without exception perform like garbage and need a wholly unnecessary number of resources.
For example, I tried War for the Overworld yesterday, for just the Main Menu it:
1. Needed 3.7GB of RAM
2. Used 280% of CPU (that is nearly 3 full cores)
3. Couldn't push more than 26 FPS of the desired 60.

And that's just the main menu, it's not even in game!

Last edited:

RuySan

Augur
I agree with this.

I second Guacamelee, but NOT Unepic.

Guacamelee is a good Metroidvania and game, while Unepic tries to be a Metroidvania but fails abysmally. Unfortunately most players don't realize this until they reach the fourth boss or so.
Yes, I agree that the bosses are unepic Achilles heel, but it's still a fun game, with way more RPG elements that is usual in this genre.

Guacamelee on the other hand, has probably some of the best boss fights of all time

Latelistener

Arcane
We really need a steam curator that collates all the Unity Games so I know to avoid them.
In that case you will also have to add a whole bunch of good running 2D or pseudo-2D games, like Obsidian games, the Shadowrun series, The Fall, or Ori and the Blind Forest to the list.

Not saying that Unity is the best engine out there, but blaming engine for developer faults is just retarded. I'm not even going to ask why you bought War for the Overworld in the first place. I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Astral Rag

Arcane

Indeed.

CPU is old but my PC surpasses the "recommend specs", it can easily run GTA V, Twitcher 3 etc on high settings in 1080p.
Game looks like it's from 2004 yet the average frame rate is very low, frame rate is erratic and often drops below 10 FPS :lol:.
Changing graphic settings from highest to lowest doesn't improve performance which is typical for Unity games.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom