Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I see Might & Magic X is 50% off. Still, it's pretty expensive for a 3 year old niche game and I've been holding off for a while. The main reason is Ubisoft Uplay. Does anyone know if the Steam version uses that, as it would be the deal-breaker.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I see Might & Magic X is 50% off. Still, it's pretty expensive for a 3 year old niche game and I've been holding off for a while. The main reason is Ubisoft Uplay. Does anyone know if the Steam version uses that, as it would be the deal-breaker.

Every new uplay game on steam needs both to oparate. Decline at its finest.
Yeah, I was close to buying a few early Assassin Creed games, but always stopped when I remember uPlay requirement.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

If you really want that game then either look in the Ubi store or other shops, they have much better prices on discounts.
And don't buy DLC for this one, it's abysmal.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
If you really want that game then either look in the Ubi store or other shops, they have much better prices on discounts.
And don't buy DLC for this one, it's abysmal.

It doesn't appear to be on the Ubistore any more - I wonder if that's due to Ubisoft cutting ties with Limbic. I've seen a couple of shops selling the DVD for slightly less than the Steam offer, so I might think about it. There do appear to be patches that remove the Uplay requirement, but I'm a bit wary about those. I did suffer EA origin on my machine, but somehow Ubisoft have developed an even worse reputation for screwing their customers.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Yeah but it still feels good to bitch about it in every post about Ubi games D:

My ulterior motive is that there seems to be some debate as to whether it works in Wine, and I don't want to waste £10 on a game I may not be able to play. But, you're right, sticking the boot into evil doers does my karma no harm.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Been cheaper (t least 75% off) in the past when Steam sales weren't shit. Got it two years ago for sub $7. It's mediocre at best. Just replay the older games.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah but it still feels good to bitch about it in every post about Ubi games D:

My ulterior motive is that there seems to be some debate as to whether it works in Wine, and I don't want to waste £10 on a game I may not be able to play. But, you're right, sticking the boot into evil doers does my karma no harm.

Last I tried, uplay was stuck on trying to detect my proxy settings.
To this day, I still haven't played Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Naraya

Arcane
^ That reminds me - whenever I launch the Steam client, my network disconnects for several seconds. It happens each and every time and it's quite frustrating. I don't believe I am the only one with such problem, however googling for a solution doesn't help. Any ideas how to fix it apart from not launching Steam (which is also completely fine in my case, albeit sometimes I want to check a thing or two) ?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
^ That reminds me - whenever I launch the Steam client, my network disconnects for several seconds. It happens each and every time and it's quite frustrating. I don't believe I am the only one with such problem, however googling for a solution doesn't help. Any ideas how to fix it apart from not launching Steam (which is also completely fine in my case, albeit sometimes I want to check a thing or two) ?
I know Steam does some stupid shit with the network stack.
I think there is a bug report in that it pokes network manager to reactivate any wireless devices.
You might find something here if you search for the right keyword, assuming you're a linuxfag https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues

EDIT: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/3424

Naraya

Arcane
Sadly, I'm still a Winfag. FWIW, my PC is cable connected to the cable modem - no routers or any wifi stuff going on.

However, I would like to understand what is happening and why. Like I said - the disconnect always happens. What's more, recently I reinstalled my whole OS (it started to get too bloated, plus I wanted a clean sheet for my new graphic card) and of course - the issue persists.

Right now, I think I'll just install Steam client in VBox Linux and see how it goes. If it helps, I'll just be administering my Steam stuff from there.

mastroego

Arcane
So far, I've only bought Tomb Raider Anniversary for like 2$.
I have the new ones, this is a remake of the very first one... it seemed kinda fitting (and cheap).

But in general... there's nothing I'd even want.
I'm sure there a few gems from the past I could give a chance to though.
I don't know, Deus Ex perhaps?
Never tried that one. Is it good with patches, mods and so on?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
That's helpful, thanks.
No mods required on 1st game.
On 2nd - go GMDX.
On 3rd and more - there are more (Nameless Mod, 2027, Red Sun etc.)
If anyone suggest Revision - throw shit back at them because it's dildolous decline right there.

Don't talk with people suprised that you still didn't played Deus Ex, cause they're too busy playing Skyrim and FO4 to bother with anything from Codex TOP 50 so...

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
Ok, I've tried to dig a bit and found that the original is a game older than I care to withstand right now.
Maybe Human Revolution Director's Cut, people seem to like it, right?
The annoying thing is I'm gathering you're kinda "supposed" to have played the previous ones (which, really: games aren't movies).

7h30n

Augur
Any good dem newfangled metroidvania on sale?

Edit: I haven't played any, so a single (best) title among the many on sale is all I need.

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any good dem newfangled metroidvania on sale?

Edit: I haven't played any, so a single (best) title among the many on sale is all I need.
Headlander is pretty fun and weird af. Not sure about Shantea: Half-Genie Hero but apparently people like it a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom