Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
More Sierra classics on Steam.

Betrayal Collection (Krondor+Antara) http://store.steampowered.com/app/559640/
Return to Krondor http://store.steampowered.com/app/564960/
Pharaoh + Cleopatra http://store.steampowered.com/app/564530/
Zeus + Poseidon http://store.steampowered.com/app/566050/
Police Quest: SWAT http://store.steampowered.com/app/560350/

And the bundle to rule them all is 91% off at the moment: http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2249/ (includes nuKing's Quest and Geometry Wars 3.)
fuck. Excited me over SWAT for a moment.
Except it's not the shooter game famed for its awesome co-op.

Ranarama

Learned
fuck. Excited me over SWAT for a moment.
Except it's not the shooter game famed for its awesome co-op.

If you've not seen it, sovietwomble on youtube has a good (couple?) of videos of him and friends failing miserably at SWAT 4.

tormund

Arcane
Meh, Square Enix are quick to put games on sale.
This is extreme even by their standards.
Though, for a hyped up sequel to a cult IP, all talk about Mankind Divided sure died out pretty fast. It's like DLC and performance related drama was by far the biggest splash that game made. Two, three weeks after release, and it was almost like it never even existed... Fucking Thiaf out of all things produced more post release interest than that (though, not for good reasons).

pippin

Meh, Square Enix are quick to put games on sale.
This is extreme even by their standards.
Though, for a hyped up sequel to a cult IP, all talk about Mankind Divided sure died out pretty fast. It's like DLC and performance related drama was by far the biggest splash that game made. Two, three weeks after release, and it was almost like it never even existed... Fucking Thiaf out of all things produced more post release interest than that (though, not for good reasons).

Welcome to the state of the videogame industry in 2016.
If we see another crash, it will be completely artificial, just like the first one, and americans will react as if it's the reality of the entire world once again.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Deux Ex: Mankind Divided for 67% off. Two months or so after release.

Must've been a gigantic flop.

DX:HR has sold about 2.16 million while the Director's cut another 1.45 mill,a large percentage where under a heavy discount of course,Mankind Divided has sold just 420k so far and it had a 50% discount during the autumn sale as well.Not very good numbers so far

Vibalist

Arcane
Dishonored 2 isn't selling too well either. I wonder if it's that particular type of game that just isn't popular, or if it's the fact that both DXMD and DH2 had other problems (such as being unfinished and unoptimized upon release).

pippin

I think it's because audiences are tired. It's hard to care about sequels, reboots and whatnot. People want something new, fresh, or at least different, but devs and publishers won't take any risks.

The american games industry is too loud for its own good.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It looks like part of a trend away from boxed AAA releases towards good ole Destiny/LoL/Call of Duty games as a service/lifestyle games where you play a single game or genre competitively. Dishonored 2 and Mankind Divided are very similar games to ones that were wildly successful and much loved only a few years ago, but it looks like the PC space is increasingly dominated by the lifestyle games.

Also, BF1 is the supermassive Elder Scrolls style hit of this holiday season. Dishonored was that last time around, this time it's gone through sort of quietly.

Also, 2016 has been packed for releases at the top end of the slateand the AAA market isn't super steady with the aforementioned structural decline. Compared to the mediocre years for them like 2013/14, the console user base has built up enough that publishers have really let it rip this year with proper AAA console games trying to be a hit.

Even in PC where software is captured, it looks like the AAA bubble of the past few years with infinite growth in the video gaming space is closing, and the growth is going towards the Counterstrikes and League of Legends, games so gigantic that they are guaranteed to carve out a slice of the public consciousness and get that word of mouth factor. Maybe we'll have to start calling games like Overwatch that have that persistent community and a 10 year delivery cycle supported by microtransaction AAAA titles, who knows, because they're obviously eating the "mid tier" AAA titles like Assassin's Creed, Dishonored and what have you for lunch.

Ubisoft's pontificating about games as a service suddenly looks pretty inspired when you see the sales for this holiday season.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Dishonored 2 isn't selling too well either. I wonder if it's that particular type of game that just isn't popular, or if it's the fact that both DXMD and DH2 had other problems (such as being unfinished and unoptimized upon release).
Because these are unwanted sequels.
Eidos Montreal was developing a completely new IP (cancelled in favor of Mankind Divided back in 2013), and Harvey Smith didn't even want a sequel of Dishonored, but publishers forced them to make the same shit, probably thinking you can step in the same river twice.

If there was an issue with F2P games taking all of the space from AAA, games like Stardew Valley and No Man's Sky wouldn't even stand a chance, but instead these are one of the best selling games in this year.

Edit for Infinitron:
http://kotaku.com/sources-studio-behind-deus-ex-and-thief-cancels-new-ga-1455404946
http://kotaku.com/5951239/harvey-sm...-about-whether-there-should-be-a-dishonored-2
https://steamspy.com/app/413150

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Is there a proper explanation on why Neverwinter Nights 2 wasn't brought back to Steam after it was removed? Does GOG has some kind of exclusivity deal? Or Hasbro simply doesn't give a shit?

tormund

Arcane
Because these are unwanted sequels.
Eidos Montreal was developing a completely new IP (cancelled in favor of Mankind Divided back in 2013), and Harvey Smith didn't even want a sequel of Dishonored, but publishers forced them to make the same shit, probably thinking you can step in the same river twice.

If there was an issue with F2P games taking all of the space from AAA, games like Stardew Valley and No Man's Sky wouldn't even stand a chance, but instead these are one of the best selling games in this year.
I don't know about that, but I never expected either of them to receive a direct sequel. When you think about it, both games had very definite endings and concluded arcs of their characters. Adam's story ended in a very clear cut way regardless of ending, and endings of Dishonored basically told of rest of Corvo and Emily's lives... It's fair to assume that both games receiving sequels with same cast of characters was a result of executive meddling.

Any CIS folks interested in trading origin funds for steam bux? BF1 gift to be exact, which is at 50% right now and costs 999 rub. For anything similarly priced from steam (with a 10-15% markup for your trouble) or a direct transfer through the steam market (you put a worthless item on the market for 1.15k and I'll buy it).

Not exactly a proper thread for it, but I don't feel that my request warrants creating a new one. In any case, PM me if you are interested.

Store is dead for me. Not that it matters anyway, discounts are going to be shit again on ridiculously overpriced shit like Dishonored 2.

edit: Total Warhammer -25%. :prosper:

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Reminder to avoid buying Rome: Total War on Steam. They updated it to Steamworks which destroyed performance for some reason while the old nonsteam version works fine.

-25% for Dishonored 2, -60% for Staglands, -25% for Dungeon Rats, -20% for Battle Brothers, -10% for Tyranny, goddamn. Nothing spectacular so far, from my brief glimpse at the store, which is probably about to crash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom