Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Naraya

Arcane
Subnautica is discounted 40%, like I expected. Oh, temptation!

Unkillable Cat - can you please elaborate? Is the game unfinished / buggy ? I never buy titles in EA but Subnautica looks gorgeous and user opinions are rather unanimous.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Speaking about Hard West - why it suddenly went silent after release? I remember hype ("omg, turn based game+western world" and something about "this is Deadlands game we were waiting for") then game was released and everyone went silent.
Weird.
Still going to buy it to see what's going on.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Is Subnautica good? Heard a lot of it because No Man's Sky sucked so much and everyone mentioned to play that instead.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Unkillable Cat - can you please elaborate? Is the game unfinished / buggy ? I never buy titles in EA but Subnautica looks gorgeous and user opinions are rather unanimous.

"Unoptimized" is the best way to currently describe it. You WILL get regular 3-second lag spikes as the game loads up your immediate vicinity, and sometimes it just *pops* into view right in front of you.

Recent updates have a worse problem - gameplay adjustments. A lot of the equipment you'll be using require batteries, and a recent update increased the battery drain on this equipment, placing a far greater emphasis on energy management. Oxygen replenishment in vehicles, for example, now consumes energy, meaning that the Seamoth minisub will eat up a lot more batteries than ever.

Then there's the problem with finding the vehicle upgrades. IIRC, you need to go below 200 meters depth to find the building blueprints that allow you to upgrade your Seamoth to go below 200 meters. Finding the blueprints for the Cyclops submarine requires finding 3 different sets of blueprints, scattered all over the place. You can play the game 2 ways, with the community-made map that spoils half the game for you, or spend weeks (real time) swimming aimlessly in the ocean trying to find the wrecks that house these upgrades. Have fun with that.

As for your base? There are at least 4 possible ways to power your base, including a nuclear reactor. The problem is, the nuclear reactor is the most resource-expensive power source of them all, and yet doesn't deliver any noticable advantage to just plonking down a bunch of solar panels (the weakest power source) - you'll just end up using up uranium for no good reason.

And in my case, once you do manage to build a base, set yourself up pretty well and stomp about in an exosuit, the game will inexplicably start crashing when you enter certain areas that were perfectly fine to enter previously.

Currently the game has unfinished areas and doesn't have an ending - you can't beat the game in its current incarnation.

When you hear news about a stability/optimization patch has been released for Subnautica, then I would give it a shot.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Nice, Just Cause 3 is 75% off a year after release as predicted. Still too much though.

Drakron

Arcane

I own Subnautica and its unfinished on the sense you can fuck around but there is no end goals, its mostly stable but outside building a base and self sustain there isnt much to do.

Edit: the balance issues are also true, even if you can just play in creative and ignore them.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Nice, Just Cause 3 is 75% off a year after release as predicted. Still too much though.

still more than 0
game is currently unplayable on both consoles and PC, only top tier PCs can somewhat handle this piece of shit

still more than 0
game is currently unplayable on both consoles and PC, only top tier PCs can somewhat handle this piece of shit
that's what i wanted to know.
and also if the game is any fun, i sort of liked the previous one and i was curious about jc3 but every time i buy without first trying the extended demo the game turns out a horrible piece of shit.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So the sales aren't changing at all this time? Well thats boring. Flash and daily sales were kind of annoying, but at least they made things interesting for longer than the 30 seconds it takes to scroll down your wishlist and find things that have real sales instead of some 20% off bullshit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's time to play the games you already own.
I ran out of backlog a long time ago. The 'lol buy so much I can't play it' meme stopped being a truism a few years ago. Aside from the people who buy all those shitty bundles for '+1' on their Steam list and cards. I buy maybe three to five games a year now.

Real time edit: This year since January I got Dead Rising 3 (last holiday sale) and DLC for Hand of Fate. Literally my only two purchases from Steam. There were a couple of bundle purchases like Mad Max but not many.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Ah, the bundles are under the licenses category. Got the Mad Max Humble Monthly (gave away most of the bonuses, didn't play the rest) and paid $1 for the epic masterpiece Sacred 3. Will probably get the Dragon's Dogma monthly even though I'm not too wild about the game. Gotta have something to play.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Bought:
Pathologic HD
IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
Ghost Recon
Ghost Recon: Desert Siege
Ghost Recon: Island Thunder
Warhammer Quest Deluxe

Refunded:
Killing Floor 2

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Bought: The Quest.

Refunded: Heroes of Monkey Tavern, Ruzar.

All three games are grid-based dungeon crawlers, though only Monkey Tavern sports a party. Unlike all other games like it, HoMT doesn't have a party configuration - instead all the party members are arranged in a line, and they ALL take damage from any monster(s) they encounter. And trying to move while in a fight results in "Flee Damage". Honestly the game is dull as dishwater, it feels like a pre-alpha of a Legend of Grimrock clone.

Rating: Not recommended.

-

Ruzar feels and looks like it could be something, but it got refunded the moment I realized that I can't redefine the keys to my liking. This is something that programmers figured out 30 YEARS ago, why is this still a problem today? Oh, wait, Unity engine. :roll:

Rating: None.

-

Which leaves me with The Quest. This feels like World of Xeen Lite. Enjoying it so far, though the skills system seems retarded.

Rating: Better than the other two.

bert

Arcane
GfvvjhT.png

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Haul this sale:

- ShadowRun Dragonfall & Hong Kong
- Titan Quest
- DA Origins Ultimate Edition (never did finish this one)

Busy winter break, I would say

UTQMqGL.jpg

Not sure about the others

pippin

No
It's so so. Some decent content apparently, but you have to suffer the writing.
No.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom