Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another Interplay re-release on Steam:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Autumn sale is probably going to be utter shit like the past few sales.
Better get used to it
We've reached some interesting singularity. There are more releases than ever, wishlists are longer, yet I don't feel the burning need to buy most of the new releases. My purchase list for this year is ridiculous, but maybe because I've been working a lot and my gaming PC died in September.

9eRu05l.png

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It was a bit silly of a system when pretty much everyone knew that you had to buy at a flash sale or the last day. But you're right that it became less interactive. And I believe there hasn't been any ARGs this year, because Valve didn't release any new games, expansions, or big updates, right? Just the Steam Machines flop, and the meh VR

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
i fucking hated the flash sales. yes, the discounts were good but checking for them so often? hell no.

having the same discounts for the whole sale is totally fine.
as long as they are high enough (which they werent lately)
Surprise: the discounts for flash/daily sales were higher because of the shorter windows. Publishers aren't going to let their games sit at high discounts for seven days straight. Ruined all because people like you can't join the 21st century and buy shit from their mobile phones!!!!

I mean, I know you must have a busy day of managing a twenty million dollar investment portfolio and banging super models but surely you can take ten seconds every four hours to check Steam's website?

:timetoburn:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I don't know how it is this days, but Steam's app used to be really bad and underdeveloped a couple of years ago.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
Surprise: the discounts for flash/daily sales were higher because of the shorter windows. Publishers aren't going to let their games sit at high discounts for seven days straight. Ruined all because people like you can't join the 21st century and buy shit from their mobile phones!!!!

I mean, I know you must have a busy day of managing a twenty million dollar investment portfolio and banging super models but surely you can take ten seconds every four hours to check Steam's website?

:timetoburn:

i apologize for ruining it!

sry for making it short tardo, but my supermodels are yelling for me.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You can still see what's on sale and somewhat easily make purchases. Not like you'd need to activate a key from a game you purchased directly via Steam.

I have to admit the expectation for huge discounts got a little silly towards the end there, people weren't buying anything unless it was 75-90% off. Still, I'd like to see some hard numbers comparing number of units sold vs. slightly less discounts.

toroid

Arcane
I have to admit the expectation for huge discounts got a little silly towards the end there, people weren't buying anything unless it was 75-90% off.

Because most games aren't worth more than a few bucks. 98% of AAA games are regurgitated collections of recycled tropes and worth several dollars at most, and most indie games are unfinished and fail to deliver any satisfaction (source: my ass). There's a tiny handful of games from the last few years that are actually worth rewarding the developers by paying the asking price. Fresh ideas and products of careful craftsmanship are truly few and far between.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
i fucking hated the flash sales. yes, the discounts were good but checking for them so often? hell no.

having the same discounts for the whole sale is totally fine.
as long as they are high enough (which they werent lately)

I would bet the reason they removed the flash sales were that too many people were in fact checking steam every 4 hours to wait for the games they wanted to go on flash sale, ignoring the regiular discounts. So publishers ended up selling too many games at rock bottom prices to customers who would have been willing to pay more if that was the only option.

So nobody ruined flash sales except you and other money grubbers bro.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I have to admit the expectation for huge discounts got a little silly towards the end there, people weren't buying anything unless it was 75-90% off.

Because most games aren't worth more than a few bucks. 98% of AAA games are regurgitated collections of recycled tropes and worth several dollars at most, and most indie games are unfinished and fail to deliver any satisfaction (source: my ass). There's a tiny handful of games from the last few years that are actually worth rewarding the developers by paying the asking price. Fresh ideas and products of careful craftsmanship are truly few and far between.
I don't understand this way of thinking. If a game isn't worth more than a few bucks it's not worth playing period, when there's so much else you could do with your time instead of playing a game that's only barely entertaining.

Modron

Arcane
So nobody ruined flash sales except you and other money grubbers bro.

I think it has to do more with the refund system, before when you bought a game you thought you might enjoy at 75-80% off you were stuck with the game if you didn't like it. I don't recall the exact point in time deep discount sales went away but I can say it was most likely pretty close to wider refund availability. To this end I think more and more publishers are adopting GoG style complete a package sales because they know you won't be able to test out the whole range within 2 weeks. <--- Before they never discounted already owned parts of packages.

Also not mentioned, Valve opening the flood gates kind of made it hard to discount a large portion of available games through only 8 or so games at a time.

Latelistener

Arcane
They removed the flash sales exactly after the refund policy was implemented, because they didn't want to deal with the flood of idiots who bought games before getting a highest discount. But the sales became boring not because of that. For example, this summer sale was the first one without any kind of event, not even a shitty clicker game. This is just lazy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sale is live. Pathologic Classic HD, This War of Mine, Technobabylon and BROFORCE available cheap.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Yeah. Starting December.

I tried to nominate Fallout 1 until I noticed when it actually starts.

also, how likely is it for Pillars; White March to dip to 75% during Winter Sale? Should I just pick it up now? I've been itching to play it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
also, how likely is it for Pillars; White March to dip to 75% during Winter Sale? Should I just pick it up now? I've been itching to play it.

Considering it's just 40% now, a whole 75% seems unlikely. Might be 50%.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom