Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Ninjerk

Arcane
:flamesaw:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
NIQOTvv.gif

Baron Dupek

Arcane
No promo for Hard Reset new version (for people who have old one).
Meh, maybe reinstall nuShadow Woorior with ball-lacking wang

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Included Games in the 40 Game Pack:

1 - Antarctic Adventure™

2 - Aquattack™

3 - Brain Strainers™

4 - Bump’n’Jump™

5 - Choplifter! ™

6 - Cosmic Avenger™

7 - Evolution

8 - Fathom™

9 - Flipper Slipper

10 - Fortune Builder™

11 - Frantic Freddy

12 - Frenzy™

13 - Gateway to Apshai™

14 - Gust Buster™

15 - Jumpman Junior™

16 - Jungle Hunt™

17 - Miner 2049er™

18 - Moonsweeper™

19 - Mountain King™

20 - Ms. Space Fury

21 - Nova Blast™

22 - Oil’s Well™

23 - Omega Race™

24 - Pepper II™

25 - Quest for Quintana Roo™

26 - Rolloverture™

27 - Sammy Lightfoot™

28 - Sir Lancelot™

29 - Slurpy™

30 - Space Fury™

31 - Space Panic™

32 - Squish ‘Em Featuring Sam™

33 - Super™ Cross Force

34 - The Heist™

35 - Threshold™

36 - Tournament Tennis™

37 - Venture™

38 - War Room™

39 - Wing War™

40 - Zaxxon™

Luka-boy

Arcane
No. The huge amount of hedgerows in the vast majority of maps confuses the hell out of the AI of the infantry, which usually leads to absurd flanking maneuvers being the only way of advancing for them because anything that's not hedgerows in these huge maps is usually a completely open field. Even worse is that often a single tank/TD/assault gun is able to hold a position if surrounded by hedgerows forever unless an enemy tank tries to destroy it because the infantry just won't fucking shoot their AT weapons while trying with deal with the local flora. And good luck trying to destroy a Churchill in that situation if you're stuck with StuGs or Mark IVs, or a Tiger under any circumstance if you're playing as the Brits and you don't disable time limits so you can spend fifteen minutes moving your faster tank(s) around it to try and attack its rear, only for them to get immobilized by a hedgerow.

TL;DR: The game is just frustrating due to the now huge maps being often just hedgerows and open fields limiting tactical choices and confusing the AI.

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is more fun and I got it in a bundle for like three bucks.

Beowulf

Arcane
It's not that bad, you just have to play differently with this terrain. Often the opne fields will have varying height that break line of sight somewhat so.
But if you are a veteran of CC games you will waltz over the AI in no time. There are some matches going in the MP tough, if that's what you like.

Regarding Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog - They might be good, but personally I just can't stand any more Bulge games at the moment.

Too bad that the best one (Last Stand Arnhem as a "remake" of the best CC2) is not on steam.

Edit: But i's still more of the same. From "innovations" I saw infantry embarking and disembarking vehicles, I think it was a new addition to the engine. Other than that, if you played CC for many hours you'd better get your CC fix from some mods. There is nothing new.

nomask7

Arcane
Classic Doom package for 50% off. Not sure how often these are on sale, but it's a decent bargain since you can use GZDoom as source port, use Playstation soundtrack, and make Steam track playtime.

A quick guide on how to do that:

I'll use Ultimate Doom as an example. Delete everything in Steam Ultimate Doom base folder except the WAD file (I mean there's a folder that's actually called base). Put the GZDoom stuff there and rename the exe as dosbox. Now when you launch via Steam, the GZDoom is launched instead and Steam will track playtime. Choose Ultimate Doom from the launcher.

If some level is too dark, don't adjust brightness but go into game options once you've launched the game, into display options, into open gl preferences (or whatever it was), look for "sector light mode" in preferences and change it to software or bright. Software mode emulates what the game is supposed to look like. If it's not chosen by default, the game may look much too dark at times. There are also some other options in game options you should change but those are obvious stuff (key bindings and mouse look).

To get PSX soundtrack working, which I highly recommend as well, you need the PSXMUSIC wad, put it into the same folder with the rest of the stuff, open the config file that I think is created when you first run the launcher, and add Path=PSXMUSIC.WAD under [doom.autoload].

Enjoy the best FPS experience circa 2016.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom