Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I heard Star Wolves 3 sucks and the other ones don't seem worth it (money or the time).

Quilty

Magister
kingcomrade said:
So is the new 3d tales of monkey island any good? Skyway need not reply

My impression was that their goal was to copy the style of the weakest MI jokes. So, according to that, the games are a success.

Look elsewhere if you're hungering after the best the old ones had to offer.

Plus the movement interface is just wrong.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The $10 is probably better spend pre-ordering the MI2 remake which gets you a free copy of the first remake, too.

It's not terrible but I wasn't a huge fan of the Sam & Max art style and a lot of the characters look the same. The humor is okay but what's stupid is a lot of the dialogue choices are just there for show -- i.e. even if you pick a certain selection Guybrush won't even read it he'll just give the standard reply regardless of the options. Honestly they would have been better off just doing it in the style of the remakes.

yaster

Liturgist
Multi-headed Cow said:
Daily deals today aren't so hot. All Europa Universalis games on Steam 66% which I know nothing about, and the Tales of Monkey Island pack for $12 which might not be bad. Those look to be the notable ones to my eyes.

Actually, there is smoking hot Oddworld pack - including both Abe's Odyssey and Abe's Exodus - for measly €2.50. It's like stealing from your grandma.

They are some of the best puzzle-platformers out there, and quite unique. Missing on them is big mistake. Also 1st part (Odyssey) is overfilled with charm, lovely stuff. I'm personally not so positive about 2nd part but gameplay is still top-notch, maybe even slightly better so it's still great game.

So don't hesiste, buy this shit - it's €2.50, so come on - your grandma may be crying for some time and then be sadbunny but fuck her, after all - your grandam is not mine...

Silellak said:
Codexian verdict:

Star Wolves 3, Space Rangers 2, both, neither?

Don't know about SW3 but how many times have we to recomend SR2? Just buy it already... or if you really can't trust us then at least try to read VD review on 'dex

xrm1

Educated
Tales of Monkey Island doesn't come close to the old classics but it's better than Telltale's Sam and Max games IMO and it has it's moments.
If you just want a decent point and click adventure take a look at Ceville, all the adventurefags are raving about it and its on sale too.

RE: Cheap space games of dubious quality, has anyone played Genesis Rising or SpaceForce 2: Rogue Universe? Are they any good?

deshields538

Scholar
Mangoose said:
What are the differences between Europa Universalis and other grand strategy games?

I've only really played EU and Hearts of Iron. Which are both very similar (since they're both made by Paradox) so I can't really compare them with anything else.

EDIT: Unless you consider the Total War games to be grand strategy in which case they're very very different. No tactical battles to take part in but EU makes up for it in stuff like governments, religion etc.

Anyway, King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame is £10 right now and I'm considering buying it too. Worth it codex?

I got it for a similar price a couple of weeks ago, campaign map has some interesting stuff.
Though I found battles to be poor. Mostly due to camera controlls I must admit, I am so used to Total war so I may be quite biased on this.

xrm1

Educated
If you like the TW games, yeah.
It's pretty much M2TW without terrible siege battles and with super powered magic knights doing quests in fantasy Britain, I think there's a demo too.

Some other cheap stuff worth checking out:
Soldiers: Heroes of World War II 1.69 euro
Birth of America 1.49 euro
Cryostasis 2.50 euro
AI War: Fleet Command 4.75 euro
Men of War 3.25 euro

Joghurt

Augur
X-Com Complete pack for 3.50 euros and Commandos Collection for 3.50 - great deals.

Also ArmA2 is 50% off, but no point in buying that because OA is out. And some news for consoletards - TF2 is 5 euros and GTA4 is 7.50

edit:

couldn't resist and bought the Commandos Collection.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Bought the X-Com pack. Never played any of those games :shame:

I must redeem myself.

Uhm.. which game should I start with? Which game is the best one?

VooghKhloor

Novice
Zed said:
Bought the X-Com pack. Never played any of those games :shame:

I must redeem myself.

Uhm.. which game should I start with? Which game is the best one?
Ufo Defense/Enemy Unknown. The first and the best.

Quilty

Magister
Is Hearts of Iron 3 worth it? I've heard bad things abut the bugs, but 15 euros for a pretty much new game sounds like an OK deal.

xrm1

Educated
Not really unless you get the expansion too, check out the paradoxplaza forums for the current state of the game. They had discounts for all Paradox games a couple days ago, it's probably better to wait till the Steam sale is over in case that deal comes back. Was HoI3 + Semper Fi for ~15 euro I think.
IIRC the last vanilla HoI3 patch left plenty of stuff broken and Semper Fi being out pretty much means that there won't be any more patches for the vanilla game.

Quilty

Magister
xrm1 said:
Not really unless you get the expansion too, check out the paradoxplaza forums for the current state of the game. They had discounts for all Paradox games a couple days ago, it's probably better to wait till the Steam sale is over in case that deal comes back. Was HoI3 + Semper Fi for ~15 euro I think.
IIRC the last vanilla HoI3 patch left plenty of stuff broken and Semper Fi being out pretty much means that there won't be any more patches for the vanilla game.

Thanks. :brofist:

Hazelnut

Erudite
This steam sale is getting expensive.. lol.

So far I've picked up:

THQ complete pack (mainly for metro 2033, Dawn o war stuffs, Company o Heros - but World of Zoo is great for my youngest... :))
JA2 + Disciples2
Max Payne 1+2
Cryostasis
Zeno Clash
Space Rangers pack
Broken Sword 3
AVP 2000

And now there's X-Com on sale which I never played but have heard so much about. I know the pack is cheap, but I'll never play them all. Is it worth getting any of the others barring the original?

L'ennui

Magister
Get the original and the Terror from the deep. The other ones aren't really worth your time, although I haven't actually played Enforcer. It just looks... *shudders*

Multi-headed Cow

I dunno, Apocalypse might be alright. You're basically getting Interceptor and Enforcer for free if you buy the bundle which is as it should be.

I really recommend GTA4 at $5 though. The PC version is a poorly optimized hog but it is quite enjoyable.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Meh, only the first X-COM is worth playing. TFTD is just the same game with different art and context, a quick and lazy attempt from Microprose to cash in from the success of the first game.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Gragt said:
Meh, only the first X-COM is worth playing. TFTD is just the same game with different art and context, a quick and lazy attempt from Microprose to cash in from the success of the first game.

Is it not as good as the first then, even if its pretty much the same?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It suffers from some crippling bugs but X-Com Util can fix thosel. It's harder than UFO though part of that is purely artificial, like that some weapons do not work above water. There are more and different terror missions now and some of them are longer, 2-part missions. All in all it is worth playing if you like UFO. Check my LP for some lulz if you want :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom