Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Latelistener

Arcane
Haven't played Crysis 3, but afaik wasn't it a console-optimized corridor-level shooter like Crysis 2 and had to fit on a Dual-Layer DVD for Xbox 360 console release, so it "sells a lot"? http://answer.ea.com/t5/Crysis-Games/Crysis-3-FAQ/td-p/164182 That's one of the main reasons why RAGE had low-res textures all over too since they couldn't fit high-res ones on the space they had available and it was already considered large for the time: http://www.gamesradar.com/rage-360-3-disc-behemoth/
It was a mix between 1 and 2 games, a bit more open, but still not quite like the first game. Just like the art style, a mix between jungle and urban areas.
Visuals were really bad on the previous gen, so it wasn't restricted by consoles in this regard.
Carmack just decided to suck console dick, and it backfired.

cellj3smy.png

Crysis_3_MP_Open_Beta_4K_3840x2160_downsampled_PCGH_42.jpg

Crysis_3_MP_Open_Beta_4K_3840x2160_downsampled_PCGH_2.jpg

44sugs.png
Frankly I really don't care, they can make them 200GB+ if they think it will improve the visuals and they can make the game look more unique, it takes like slightly over 4 hours to download 100GB on a 50Mbit pipe and I got a 6TB WD Black only for games with several TB for the Steam folder alone.
Ironically, console hardware will not allow much improvement.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

I recommend everyone who is a fan of Vanillaware games to take a look at:

At first it felt like a cheap version of Vanillaware, but later it grew on me (and for a good reason). Artstyle is good, combat system becomes a lot deeper once you unlock more skills. It is very impressive for an early action game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Flash Point: Fire Rescue, firefighting turn-based strategy game based on the board game of same name:

ss_c076bf8867598ae6f1d9f728a97744e6470f5299.600x338.jpg

Ultimate Summer Boat, "a survival boating game" seemingly made for lulz:

Looks like a video game version of this gif:

Boat_Crash.gif

Leilani's Island, "a tropical 2D platformer":

Looks very charming and fun:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This is coming out on 21 July. Looks like a game I don't want to miss.

My Summer Car is way superior to this game.

I mean, I doubt you can gain money for car parts by pumping septic tanks in this, unlike in MSC where it is one of the numerous ways to earn a little bit extra. (Also you can drown in such a tank).

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
True. Though I find My Summer Car to be incredibly clunky to use, it is very much like a car mechanic game should be done.

My Summer Car is more humor though, you have to remember the correct spanner size and it is actually 10x harder than real life. Tbh I never got much further that lifting the chassis on some beer cases and try to put in the steering column, then gave up in frustration.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam release of Gary Grigsby's War in the West:

Dark Empire, a turn-based management/strategy where you playing manager of a mining colony:

ss_50c8f69fd44c446d07cfa0a5d93eee3395a4708f.600x338.jpg

Remnith, "a chaotic FPS where enemy units feed off of the energy of every shot that isn't lodged directly into them":

ss_62d289428cc8ff806f8a11378cf1eb0ae5f73064.600x338.jpg

Origin Space, some kind of spaceship action RPG:

ss_1884383eb3056ceb919f31afba9ccd3a3e0d54eb.600x338.jpg

Fugl, a relaxing voxel bird simulator:

ss_8e5dd34011bc0f0de23c8b4f7cbd2120ef0799b2.600x338.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They're better and "honest" ones compare to shits like these:M

Achievement Hunter: Begins http://store.steampowered.com/app/674040/Achievement_Hunter_Begins/

3d platformer made in low poly design, with a bonus of more than 5000 achievements!

Achievement Hunter: Cromulent http://store.steampowered.com/app/675460/Achievement_Hunter_Cromulent/

The game will have a minimum acceptable price,
so if you want to get 5000 achievements,
have a lot of fun alone or with friends at minimum cost possible,
then the Achievement Hunter: Cromulent is the best option for you.

Achievement Hunter: Spinner Edition http://store.steampowered.com/app/675450/Achievement_Hunter_Spinner_Edition/

The main goal of the game is to get out of the forest and collect all 5000 achievements.

I've been watching games being listed on Steam almost everyday for some reason. I can almost guarantee that everyday you see a new wave of "my RPG Maker game", 3D ball rolling game, achievement hunting (I'd rather call them feeding) game, meme/joke game, asset flipping first person shooter/horror/adventure game, glorified VR "experience", and wired Russian indie game.

But actually I don't think I care much about these floods of "game shaped things," because, at least in my experience, they were never visible in my usual Steam browsing experience.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I thought the 100$ or whatever people need to put up now to be listed on Greenlight would reduce the number of shovelware games on Steam.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And for all you horse lovers, Ostwind/Windstorm, based on some German book/film series:

ss_a12be17493df114a79dcd1845fef21301b8c8d84.600x338.jpg

Based on the successful WINDSTORM movies and best-selling books, you slip into the role of Mika and immerse yourself deeper into the fascinating world of the horse whisperer and her black stallion Ostwind. There‘s always something exciting to do at Kaltenbach Estate. Freely explore the area around Kaltenbach Estate and discover entirely new locations with Windstorm.
  • Carefully groom Windstorm and keep an eye on his fitness, health and well-being.
  • Learn to interact naturally with Windstorm and enjoy the freedom of horseback riding by finishing some exciting riding tasks
  • Take good care of your animal friend Windstorm and keep him in top condition in order to experience thrilling adventures together
  • Ride Windstorm and explore the area around Kaltenbach Estate at your leisure
  • Learn about Mika’s life at Kaltenbach Estate beyond the familiar story, bump into old friends and discover the locations mentioned in the movies and books
  • Enjoy the original soundtrack from the movies!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
And for all you horse lovers, Ostwind/Windstorm, based on some German book/film series:

ss_a12be17493df114a79dcd1845fef21301b8c8d84.600x338.jpg

Based on the successful WINDSTORM movies and best-selling books, you slip into the role of Mika and immerse yourself deeper into the fascinating world of the horse whisperer and her black stallion Ostwind. There‘s always something exciting to do at Kaltenbach Estate. Freely explore the area around Kaltenbach Estate and discover entirely new locations with Windstorm.
  • Carefully groom Windstorm and keep an eye on his fitness, health and well-being.
  • Learn to interact naturally with Windstorm and enjoy the freedom of horseback riding by finishing some exciting riding tasks
  • Take good care of your animal friend Windstorm and keep him in top condition in order to experience thrilling adventures together
  • Ride Windstorm and explore the area around Kaltenbach Estate at your leisure
  • Learn about Mika’s life at Kaltenbach Estate beyond the familiar story, bump into old friends and discover the locations mentioned in the movies and books
  • Enjoy the original soundtrack from the movies!

Do we have any prospernauts ready to LP this?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Descenders, "a fast-paced extreme downhill biking game that's easy to pick up, but difficult to master":

Fighter Creator, "a powerful, point and click fighting game creation engine designed to make creating complex fighting games much easier":

ss_c38fe21ba0b4e943183c1a9b60a221a76bd76333.600x338.jpg

Shephy, "a single-player card game with cute and lovely illustration that keeps players coming back for more", based on a non-digital card game of the same name:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would have ignored this if it wasn't for the fact that these guys made RONiN. I had a lot of fun with that game.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

My Summer Car is way superior to this game.
I mean, I doubt you can gain money for car parts by pumping septic tanks in this, unlike in MSC where it is one of the numerous ways to earn a little bit extra. (Also you can drown in such a tank).

After the royal fuckup 1 week ago (countdown ran out and then the game got delayed by 3 days, and then 4 and eventually, 1 week) the game was released today.

1st impression: a total catastrophe. I have not even ordered yet, just came home, the videos that came out earlier today were stuttering like shit and the first reviews rate the game as unplayable.

Nice try, Playway S.A.
This leaves a very bad taste because the delay - which was allegedly due a missing Japanese language file - was clearly a trick. Instead of releasing this shit 1 week ago and get blasted, they fuck up the people with a cancellation in the very last second, and if now they get blasted they can say it was only the backclash of the delay and PC gamers are impossible and yadda yadda.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/645630/Car_Mechanic_Simulator_2018/

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
SturmFront - The Mutant War: Übel Edition, an "arcade action game in the vein of Commando, Ikari Warriors and Shock Troopers, mixed with bullet hell elements":

ss_c66ec98409fe8d8fc7b1bf28de55205dca9cc8a9.600x338.jpg

Airport CEO, "a tycoon and management game where you take seat as the CEO of your own airport":

ss_2fdab0e0cbca5359b9d903a41ad37a670ad8c69d.600x338.jpg

Lobster Empire, "a game where you build your lobster business and develop ways to create sustainable lobster resources and profitable lobster fishery through conservation and research":

ss_ced408fe991a994fd1b699bd9ffc1679d98bc063.600x338.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom